PDA

View Full Version : Glue option?

HarryH
04-13-2005, 07:30 AM
I poked around the forum for a discussion of Aerolite adhesive without much luck. Aparently it has the benefits of liquid resorcinol, but will cure at higher temps, is more forgiving of less-than-perfect joints, requires less clamping pressure and is of a light color. Waterproof and strong, it is/was used in wooden aircraft construction.

All true? Why is it not more popular in boatbuilding circles?

Much thanks,

HarryH

Venchka
04-13-2005, 09:22 AM
I was curious about Aerolite 306 as well. A classic case of a huge global company, Cibe-Geigy, selling off small divisions to focus on larger parts of their company. C-G sold Aerolite to a U.K. firm in 1989. At present, there are no U.S. distributors of Aerolite 306. Epoxy has taken over the market place at the consumer level.

A GOOGLE search of Aerolite 306 will explain it all.

Wayne
In the Swamp. :D

Bruce Hooke
04-13-2005, 09:41 AM
I used it 20 years ago and found it effective and easy to work with, but I have since switched to epoxy...

HarryH
04-13-2005, 11:05 AM
Thanks for the replies.

I did some Googlin' around before I posted, but did not get the whole story I guess. I did read in a perhaps dated article that it was more economical than epoxy...if close (and available) I would prefer it.

-HarryH

Venchka
04-13-2005, 11:57 AM
Harry,

If you persevere, you might have limited success.

Here's what the homebuilt aircraft folks went through to get Aerolite 306 across the pond.

Aerolite 306 Source (http://www.seqair.com/skunkworks/Glues/Aerolite/Sources.html)

Wayne

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
04-13-2005, 12:08 PM
Its a urea/formaldehyde glue. I've never used it but there is a similar formulation called "Cascamite" which I have used extensively.
While it may be less demanding that resourcinol, it is in no way a "gap filling" adhesive - the joinery needs to be accurate.

Venchka
04-13-2005, 12:23 PM
Close, but it ain't the same as Cascamite.

More than you wanted to know about Aerolite & Aerodux...

Aerolite 1 (http://www.sky-craft.co.uk/adhesives1.htm)
Aerolite 2 (http://www.seqair.com/skunkworks/Glues/Aerolite/Aerolite.html)

I also found this which would be of interest to boat builders.

Glues
There are many glues that can be used for laminating wood parts. However, without researching specifications and data for various glues it would be better to stay with one of the proven glues used in aircraft construction.

In the category of preferred glues for fabricating laminated bends, we have the urea formaldehyde adhesives (resistant to moisture) and the phenolics or recorcinols considered to be waterproof and known for their strength and longevity. They also perform well in high temperatures.

Use a glue that will allow you a reasonable length of work time before you have to close and clamp the bundle. In this respect, recorcinol is an excellent glue for laminating. Plastic resin isn't bad either, but it is classified as water resistant and not, technically, waterproof. This is, however, nothing to worry about unless you intend to have your airplane double as a submarine, too.

I would not use, or attempt to use, Aerolite glue for laminating work. It is a good two part glue system but it requires extremely fast work because it "grabs" immediately when the two surfaces are joined. When assembling a bent lamination, the strips tend to slide as the clamping and bending proceeds. This sliding action, while of no concern with most other glues, will tend to destroy integrity of the glue line already setting up in the Aerolite.
The rest of the laminating story (http://members.eaa.org/home/homebuilders/authors/bingelis/Laminating%20and%20Bending%20Wood.html)

Like I said earlier, and Bruce confirmed, epoxy has taken over the adhesive market at the consumer boat building level. I suppose if you want to build an amphibious aircraft, Aerolite would be the answer.

Wayne

John Meachen
04-13-2005, 02:05 PM
I have used quite a bit of Aerolite and I like it for a number of reasons.If you mix more than you can use,it will keep and it does not stain wood unless it comes into contact with ferrous metals.The cured resin seems to have less of a blunting effect on tools than Cascamite and it seems to work in lower temperatures than Cascmite.The only disadvantage I know of is that if you are gluing a large job in warm weather,it tends to form a skin on the resin before the pieces are assembled.Living where I do this is seldom a problem but for those in warmer parts it may be worth bearing in mind.

Venchka
04-13-2005, 02:25 PM
You live where Aerolite is sold. We are less fortunate in the Colonies.

Wayne

Jay Greer
04-14-2005, 12:27 AM
We had a sixty foot ketch come to our yard. The boat had been built in England. Both masts were delaminating.
They had been glued with Aerolite. The spars could not be saved as they were in very sad shape. We built new spars. Used Weldwood. They were expensive!
That is the only experience I have ever had with Aerolite Glue.