PDA

View Full Version : Need help sortin me new shed out

Wild Dingo
01-27-2006, 11:30 AM
Okay gurus of all things I need a bit of a hand here

Me an the boys will be finishing the new shed off tomorrow puttin up the wall sheetin and hangin the roller door so now Im lookin to Sundy when the tools will move into their new home

So we have a rectangular area of 6mtrs by 9mtrs to play with... 20ft x 30ft roughly... 2 x 3mtr sections will have full height roller doors attached these are the two left hand front ones the right hand front will be just wall...

Okay so these are the main tools that will reside

18in Bandysaw
10in cabinet style table saw with sliding table
15in thicknesser
38in bed lathe on its own table all up approx 5ft long by 2ft wide
8in jointer
router table
work bench
dust collector
spindle sander
6x9in belt sander
drum sander
drill press
2 x cupboards
work construction table
1 6mtr wall I want to have for timber storage which will include an area for ply storage

Sooooo... given that yous blokes are the gurus I know who can design and create a plan of placement for items in the shed please feel free to have a whirl an see what you come up with :cool:

I will check back tomorrow evening when weve finished the shed to see what youve come up with so we can move the tools straight in on Sundy

Thank you kindly ;)

Wild Dingo
01-27-2006, 11:32 AM
Ohhh I could of course do this myself... but hey! Yer me mates and I gotta involve you! Wouldnt be right to do it all meself without your imput now would it? ;)

Paul Pless
01-27-2006, 11:40 AM
18in Bandysaw
15in thicknesser
8in jointer
router table
work bench
dust collector
spindle sander
6x9in belt sander
drum sander
drill press
2 x cupboards
work construction table
braggart :D

Peter Malcolm Jardine
01-27-2006, 11:47 AM
Well... here are some verbal suggestions..

Put the dust collector in a corner, and plumb with hard pipe accordingly. You can't use a corner for any other tool.

The table saw in a wide open area.

The thickness planer on a portable base, unless you dimension lumber everyday.

Anything that deals with lumber in a linear fashion can go on a wall, or back to back. My lathe backs on my bandsaw for instance.

A workbench in a wide open area, near the table saw as an outfeed bench.

Okay, I forgot the rest. :D

Bruce Hooke
01-27-2006, 11:48 AM
A good basic principle to keep in mind is to put the tools most used for dealing with rough lumber (e.g., planer, jointer) near the rough lumber, and the tools for final finish work (router table, sanders, drill press) near the finished work area. I'd try to keep the tablesaw and the bandsaw in a fairly central location because I find that I use them for everything from initial stock preperation to cutting joints. The lathe can be a bit tucked away because it tends to get used on it's own.

One good technique I've heard of people using is to cut out of card stock the plan view outlines of all the tools (drawn to scale) and try out different arrangements on scale floor plan. You can do the same thing on a computer if you find that easier...

Memphis Mike
01-27-2006, 11:59 AM
See what I mean? Everyone knows there ain't no sheds and tools in the Outback. :rolleyes:

Wild Dingo
01-27-2006, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Memphis Mike:
See what I mean? Everyone knows there ain't no sheds and tools in the Outback. :rolleyes: EH??? whacha mean Mike? Im in Brunswick Junction mate 100+ klicks from Perth capital city of West Aussie and less than 20 mins from the major city of Bunbury.. of course theres tools here mate I bought them!! AND a mans gotta have his shed NO MATTER where he is!!

I dont understand this sorta comment mate... you think Im lying and you want proof of what I say?? Fine I will take a shyteload of pics and post them tomorrow for you no worries all you need do is bloody well ask easy as for mates which I thought we were but apparently I was wrong :rolleyes:

Thanks Bruce I was having weird thoughts of putting the table saw in the centre of the doorway set in about 3ft so I can send long boards through the thicknesser I intended to stick in the middle of the second doorway jointer on the wall while the bandsaw I was thinking centred between the thicknesser and table saw I can see Im gonna have to revise this... youve clarified some thoughts for me

One thing with the lumber/timber thing mate I will be making a storage rack for some of the lumber/timber to come inside the shed probably a few long lengths of each type of timber plus some shorter lengths for immeadiate use but most of it will remain in the humpyhoochy until needed which is some 150 odd feet away from the shed... just to clarify that mate :cool:

Cheers

Nope not braggin just curious how you blokes would set it up... and seeking ideas for Sunday :cool:

Hey on re-reading the posts Peter thats a bloody good idea mate! The work table located near the table saw as an outfeed table is brilliant! Cheers!

[ 01-27-2006, 12:34 PM: Message edited by: Wild Dingo ]

Memphis Mike
01-27-2006, 12:31 PM
I won't believe it until I see the pics. :rolleyes: ;)

Wild Dingo
01-27-2006, 12:44 PM
Okay mate easy... first thing I will take some of the shed in the morning then in the arvo followed by some of the tools in the shed on Sundy...

But for now hows this?

The boys puttin the Incra fence on the 10in cabinet table saw
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid187/p205e09fd9f5f55bce451d1e3c234955d/f2313119.jpg

15in thicknesser
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid187/p139471ac4721fb2372d2573b33369d2e/f23130cb.jpg

18in Bandsaw
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid187/p6fed8ba4bbc013d00c4e94fd6ceeeccf/f231322e.jpg

Lathe and dust collector and one can just make out the sanding items

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid187/p1caf051a972a9e9f186ed01dea4156d3/f231302f.jpg

Overhead view
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid187/p1313bdaeb1c36c9cfbd65efa25affd15/f2312d5b.jpg

Now can you please give me a bloody hand sortin this shed out?? mmmmm???

Paul Pless
01-27-2006, 12:45 PM
Is that shed big enough for Fame ?

Wild Dingo
01-27-2006, 12:47 PM
Thats the humpyhoochy mate its more than big enough to fit Fame (40ft) at 75ft long by 25+ ft wide and near on the same high :cool: but as I no longer have Fames offsets shes not a lookin any more :(

Katherine
01-27-2006, 12:48 PM
Dingo, I'm jealous. My shop is a 2 car garage that I have to share with the roomates crap. tongue.gif

huisjen
01-27-2006, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Paul Pless:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />18in Bandysaw
15in thicknesser
8in jointer
router table
work bench
dust collector
spindle sander
6x9in belt sander
drum sander
drill press
2 x cupboards
work construction table
braggart :D </font>[/QUOTE]

Wild Dingo
01-27-2006, 12:59 PM
Okay okay... Im not braggin!! :mad: I also had a 2 car garage at the last house as you will all recall as I showed pics of that being built...

and when we sold that place for a good profit and moved here the humpyhoochy was already here but is not a secure or weather proof environment to grow tools in so a shed was in order... this was put off till now due to the flooding... it has also shrunk in size from what Id planned on getting due to financial constraints due to said flooding...

The tools I demanded in agreeing to the move I wanted to move north she demanded to move south so a compromise was met... I got the tools I wanted she got the move she wanted fair equal and good... she also got a new sewing machine which cost roughly the same as the bandsaw and tablesaw and thicknesser together cost! :eek: I still consider it fair and equal :cool:

I took the advice of the forum... buy the best you can afford when you can afford it... when we sold the other place I could afford it so did

Not braggin just information so you can HELP me sort the shed out!!!

Sheeeeeeeesh your a hard audience tonight tongue.gif

Paul Pless
01-27-2006, 01:00 PM
but as I no longer have Fames offsets shes not a lookin any more Shane, your not going to believe this, but I just returned a book to the library that has Fame's lines and offsets in it. I'll return tonight and scan the chapter if you like.

cheers,
Paul

Wild Dingo
01-27-2006, 01:05 PM
Its got the offsets? EXCELLENT!!! yes please if you could that would be fanbloodytastic!

After I contacted Thad regarding the plans and he sent a replacement set for the ones Id lost (sans offsets :( ) I contacted the Peabody to enquire if the offsets could be bought but that was last July or August and Im still waitin for a response! This was the initial reason Thad got the initial plans for me... Seems they do not respond to overseas enquiries :rolleyes:

But if you could Paul that would be great! Cheers :cool: