PDA

View Full Version : small tractors

coelacanth
07-28-2005, 10:28 PM
I'm contemplating the purchase of a used small tractor. It will be used for mowing about 1/2 acre (increasing as I clear out some brush) helping to clear the brush, tilling an ever enlarging garden. If I can get a loader, it may alsodo quite a bit of digging, as I have a good bit of dirt to move. The atavistic part of me would like an old Cub, the newer part says maybe one of the small Japanese tractors. I would respectfully solicit your opinions...

Kermit
07-28-2005, 10:37 PM
I agree on the IH Cub. They're out there, just look a bit. Some of the old Poppin' Johnnies are worth a look. I had a Ford 8N for a few years, and it was decent, reliable, simple. Then I discovered Kubota. Had one for about 20 years. Great machine. I think the Kubota diesels are the way to go these days if you need small.

Bob Cleek
07-29-2005, 01:48 AM
Yea, but for just a half acre, this puppy will do everything from till to chip, AND you can get a riding attachment if you must! (Pricey at about $2,500, but that's less than a Kubota.) If you need something with a bucket only occasionally, wouldn't you'd be better off to rent something?

http://www.wikco.com/images/Bcs1.jpg

Ken Hutchins
07-29-2005, 06:27 AM
Someday you just might need to move something big, perhaps a 5,000 lb log for making a mast. :D So be prepared and get a Kubota, even at 29 years old they don't object to a bit of work. smile.gif
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid162/pb2b436789756f7f742939c5beb771fda/f4b61deb.jpg

[ 07-29-2005, 07:27 AM: Message edited by: Ken Hutchins ]

Mrleft8
07-29-2005, 06:41 AM
Sure that picture is big enough Cleek?
I'd go for a little Kubota, or a Nordtrack (from Northern equipment Co.)

Mrleft8
07-29-2005, 06:44 AM
Originally posted by Mrleft8:
I'd go for a little Kubota, or a Nordtrack (from Northern equipment Co.)Edited to add: Actually, I'd get a little MTD lawn tractor for cutting the grass and tilling the garden, and pulling a wagon full of weeds, and something like a Ford 8-N for doing the bigger boy work. A multi task machine will do lots of things, but not one thing well.

Beowolf
07-29-2005, 07:00 AM
I recently checked out the local Kubota dealership. The smallest diesel (18 hp) with mowerdeck was $6700 . I'd guess that the model you have in mind will be at least double that.
For a half acre, I'd get a small lawn tractor for mowing and towing and a walk-behind tiller.

Jeff

Billy Bones
07-29-2005, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by Mrleft8:
I'd go for a little Kubota, or a Nordtrack (from Northern equipment Co.)Nortrac looks good in the catalogs but they are poorly made and do not last long. They're cheap for a reason. Think 'Yugo' here.

OTOH, the DR series of equipment has proven itself over and over as tough and reliable. Good value there, with some versatility (no loader, though).

Good luck whatever.

mbogo
07-29-2005, 03:16 PM
Since lots here are the building type with mechanical/fabrication ability...have you seen this unit (http://www.cadplans.com/cadtrac.htm) ?

I've even thought about the possibility of adapting their hydraulic drive to a boat. You could put the motor anywhere that way.

[ 07-29-2005, 04:17 PM: Message edited by: mbogo ]

hoss
07-29-2005, 03:41 PM
Kabota is the only way to go. Don't buy one of the imitators Kioti, etc. they are not much cheaper. Kabota's are actually sort of investment I have never seen any other product hold their value like they do. I have a 40 horsepower L3800 with a loader. It does all the work around our small farm, the best thing I ever bought.

hoss
07-29-2005, 03:42 PM
Now if I could only spell KUBOTA it would be perfect.

Ken Hutchins
07-29-2005, 08:59 PM
Kabota's are actually sort of investment I have never seen any other product hold their value like they do. smile.gif Sure 'nuf my poor old l245DT is worth almost as much as I paid for it. Any body want a severely overworked, I mean very severely overworked Kubota? I'm willin to let it go for the fantastic price of just $100 less than I paid for it 29 years ago. smile.gif :D Ifin I don't get my price it will just stay here and continue to help me with my chores, I might even treat it to an oil change this year. I checked the anti freeze, it's still good no need to change it yet, probably last another 29 years. :D Poor old Japanese mountain goat deserves a better life, but it don't seem to mind a bit of strenuous work without much grooming, just give it a tender pat on the back and a sip of diesel fuel occasionally. ;)

blacksmith
07-30-2005, 02:27 PM
A couple of thoughts-the old IH Cubs do not have a PTO ,so you're limited to towed implements.The Kubota is excellent,but if you can find a Yanmar in your HP range,they're rugged and very dependable. Make sure you are looking at a Yanmar specifically designed for the American market-the so-called grey market tractors are being imported but Yanmar does not support them with parts,which they do for the US tractors. Also ,a front end loader is worth its weight in YEN. Yanmar made the lower HP John Deeres for many years.

Bob Cleek
07-31-2005, 09:55 AM
It was a little picture when I posted it, but when it came up, it was HUGE! Whadda ya gonna do? LOL

coelacanth
07-31-2005, 10:01 PM
it seemed as though the votes were pro Kubota. Stumbled upon one in eBay with a loader 4wd, etc. , and it should be here by Friday. Has power steering, too, removing my wife's last objection to any kind of mowing. Now if I can just get the gimballed drink holder mounted get a jack for the DVD player and cell 'phone, it'll be just like a morning commute. Ahhh, the great outdoors...

coelacanth
08-02-2005, 09:39 PM
Tractor turned out to be a scam, despite fairly convincing bona fides. Waste of 6 hrs of my time :mad: :mad: . Oh well, back to the drawing board