PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody make New Year's resolutions?

rodcross
01-01-2003, 10:24 AM
I try, but they don't work very often, and I've found you can't do it alone. You need someone to hold you to it.

Some of my anger and frustration with myself slipped into some of my posts, this last year. I apologize for them and will make amends by drafting all responses off-line and taking a second and third look at them before going back on line and hitting the 'Add Reply' button.

A second resolution: I think I'll sign off and go clean the kitchen.

When that's done, I'll poach a piece of Salmon and have my annual glass of champagne. That's my New Year's fare.

Happy New Year!

Rod

Wayne Jeffers
01-01-2003, 11:26 AM
The only resolution I can remember working is when I gave up cigarettes, cold turkey, seven years ago. That one was enough to last a lifetime, however! :D

Michelle and I kicked up our heels by fixing a nice pot roast and renting a couple of movies. Neither of us had seen "Pocketful of Miracles" with Betty Davis and Glenn Ford in at least 30 years. Delightful! I recommend it highly. That is what movies should be like! :cool:

Best wishes to all for a happy and healthy 2003!

Wayne

Concordia..41
01-01-2003, 11:49 AM
I make a half dozen or so every year. Usually manage to keep them all for 4-6 months before slacking off. But hey, the resolutions are generally health related and run along the lines of exercising, taking vitamins, eating more fruit, less salt, etc. If they last the first 5 months or so (and I've been doing this for a couple of decades) then at least 40% of the time I've done real good.

Some resolutions made it - quit smoking in 1993, religious use of seatbelts in 1997; quit drinking in 1999, swore off Wal-Mart in 2000. Mostly I just take generally good ideas I should be doing anyway - look up an old friend a month, call my mother once a week, write thank you notes promptly, etc. and call them New Years Resolution to give them a little weight.

2001 Resolutions that lasted all year included a major focus on my appearance - i.e. taking better care of myself, loosing some weight and keeping it off, using sunscreen religiously, etc. A 2001 resolution that unfortunately :( went by the wayside was to get out on the water at least one day a week - really on the water out doing something (not just working on a boat at the dock). There were probably 20 outings, but that's way off the goal of 52.

2002's include - keeping the 2001's; exercise (will do 10 miles on the bike as soon as some of the puddles dry up); accomplishing major work on Sarah; cooking at home more and eating out less; being thankful for each and every day; and getting out on the water at least one day a week smile.gif Oops - almost forgot - recycle EVERYTHING!

Cheers!

[ 01-01-2003, 02:00 PM: Message edited by: Concordia..41 ]

Tar Devil
01-01-2003, 12:04 PM
Just two...
Finish the floors in my house, and start cutting frames on my dory.

Later,

Phil

Peter Malcolm Jardine
01-01-2003, 01:40 PM
Quit drinking 12 years ago, quit smoking last march, ....always have a few resolutions that might not get worked on until spring, but usually broiling around in my head for a while before I finally do anything... this year 10 pounds and some conditioning. Try and be more careful with my money (yeah and I bought a wooden boat :rolleyes: )... get some stuff done this year that Debi wants, and generally try to be a godlike creature :rolleyes: Happy New Year everyone :D

Wild Wassa
01-01-2003, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by rodcross:
'I try, but they don't work very often, and I've found you can't do it alone. You need someone to hold you to it'.

Rod, Could 6000 help?, but I can't speak for the others ... I see no ships - Nelson and me.

Wayne, Thank you Sir, all the best to you and this huge 'nest' of Forumites.

Margo, Preservation seems really big with you Guys, admirable, ...and not just with your boat. I hope to follow your lead. My resolution, could be to go back, and read your earlier postings. I wish you and Dave, warm weather.

Phil, I saw a fine old model Dory, The simple look I find very pleasing, I went and checked out a site. The model had aged beautifully. All the best Wild Phil KoA, ... others can only get an Order of Australia nowdays.

Ironmule, Jeff, I find your resolution an interesting one, ... I resolve to go the other way, I resolve to keep making resolutions. If I break it, as is most likely, ... we will have the same result, smile.gif .

Peter, Excellent,...you godlike creature, :D , I support you resolution towards immortality. The best I can try, is to keep my sails ... godlike.

My resolution, was to take care of unfinished business, ... it's been done. I wish you all good luck with your resolutions.

Warren.

[ 01-01-2003, 05:39 PM: Message edited by: Wild Wassa ]

Scott Rosen
01-01-2003, 06:28 PM
I don't like to make promises that I can't keep, even promises to myself. I find that it's bad for my spirit to make a resolution when I'm pretty sure from the get-go that I can't keep it.

Now I just resolve to try a little harder on certain things . . . which will remain nameless.

Meerkat
01-01-2003, 06:37 PM
Scott has a really valid point. Without meaning any disrespect to the spirit or intent of this thread, you give away the power of your resolutions by making them public IMO. A resolution is a covenent by and between you and yourself and it is only you who can keep faith with yourself.

Ok, I feel mildly silly now... anyone else want to use this soapbox? ;)

ishmael
01-01-2003, 06:41 PM
"To quit smoking is the easiest thing I've ever done; I've done it a thousand times."

Twain

Sudden resolve has never worked for me. I would like to quit smoking this year. But I'll be damned if I'll do it TODAY. :D

ishmael
01-01-2003, 06:48 PM
Ooh, I think it's more complicated than that Donn.

Resolve, without looking in the dictionary, and sticking with this particular meaning.

The root, has to do with light, the colors of light, resolving into other colors. It indicates, therefore, in this context, a finish of one stage or thing, and embarking on something new. It contains both.

Just making it up, but it sounds good to me. :D

LisaS
01-01-2003, 07:31 PM
My resolutions change from year to year, and sometimes I even keep them. 8 years ago, I quit smoking cold turkey. That one I've kept. This year's resolutions are to get rid of all debt except the mortgage and to finish one previously unfinished project per month. I cannot begin any new projects until I have 12 old ones finished.

I have zero willpower, so that second one could be a tough one.

Lisa & Co.

Boyd
01-02-2003, 10:25 AM
I resolve to get my 5K time below 21 minutes. I figure if George W. Bush can run a sub 21 min 5K then I can too.

Other things for this month are to finish my outside garden shed (ordered remaining lumber today), finish the trim in my basement (I cut all the shoe last night) and to build an organized and efficent basement workshop. I resolve not to take on any more large projects until these are done.

Biggest reason to get the big projects done is so I can do some little stuff like build toys for the kids, closet shelves, ect.

Garrett Lowell
01-02-2003, 10:32 AM
I resolved several years ago to stop making New Year's Resolutions. It's the only one I've ever kept.

John of Phoenix
01-02-2003, 12:06 PM
Boyd, when I got out of the Army I made two resolutions. To never run again unless my life literally depended on it and never to see the insde of another tent unless it was at the circus. :D So far, so good.