PDA

View Full Version : Gridiron warriors

cs
09-20-2004, 06:37 AM
In an epic battle on the banks of the mighty Tennessee, 2 foes face off in a battle that was termed an instant classic. The 9th ranked Florida Gators came in and tried to exert their dominance over the 14th ranked Volunteers.

What unfolded on this night can only be described as a great game. Two worthy opponents slug it out and like all great games it goes down to the wire.

At first the defense of the Vols looked a little soft, allowing the Gator offense to put toghether of drive of 97 yards and take a 14-7 lead. As the game wore on though the defense stiffened and shut down the Gators on the 1 yard line, preventing the Gators going up 24-21. As it was we kept them to 28-21 and the field goal was missed.

TN takes over on downs and drives across the field. A few plays later a speedy wider reciever cuts across the field in a crossing pattern, a perfectly thrown pass allows him to make the catch without even breaking stride and next thing you know we are within one (28-27), but wait, the PAT was missed and less than 3 minutes are left on the clock.

But no worry, all we have to do is stop the Gators 3 and out and drive to the 35 and try for three. But once again the Gators get a first down and look like they will continue to move the ball, but once again the Vol defense rises to the occasion and with 55 seconds left the Vols get the ball back. Under the leadership of a freshman QB the Vols drive and with 6 seconds left they have the chance to score the go ahead field goal of 50 yards. The snap is good, the kick is strong and straight, it has the distance, it is GOOD!, and the Vols come away with a victory (30-28).

As Saturday turns into Sunday it is time for the pros to play and in a game that is not really a classic, but a game nontheless that shows a new emerging power in the NFC, the Falcons of Atlanta manhandle the Rams of St Louis. Blitz after blitz and little taste of Vick with some Dunn and Griffth ( who would have thought a full back could run for 63 yards) and the Falcons emerge victourous over the Rams with a score of 34-17.

Side note: Congratulations to the Lions.

Chad

[ 09-20-2004, 07:38 AM: Message edited by: cs ]

huisjen
09-20-2004, 06:59 AM
Normally I don't pay much attention to such things, but I heard on the news this morning that the U Maine Black Bears beat Mississippi State!

Dan

cs
09-20-2004, 07:19 AM
Dan it looks like the won 9-7, according to SI.com

Polls, TN has moved to 11 and Florida dropped to 16. How does Georgia stay at 3 when barely getting by Marshell?

Chad

bamamick
09-20-2004, 07:39 AM
I had actually planned to drive up to Starkville to watch Maine and MSU. Great win for the Black Bears.

Of course here locally my beloved Crimson Tide lost their starting quarterback for the umpteenth year in a row. We will now have an unproven sophomore transfer starting for us, but he has looked good in practice and we may be o.k..

God it's so nice to talk about football. Blessed football.

And Chad, well, never mind.

Mickey Lake

cs
09-21-2004, 09:13 AM
Back to the top.

Chad

Beowolf
09-21-2004, 09:22 PM
well well well

My Lions are 2-0. If memory serves, this is the first time that they've been 2-0 at the beginning of a season since I've start posting on this forum. Pretty cool. Well, it's getting late and I have to turn in so I really can't give this thread the attention it deserves, but rest assured that if by the grace of God, they end up 3-0 after facing off against Phili next weekend, I'll be partying like it's 1999.

Jeff

cs
09-22-2004, 06:24 AM
Jeff, I wish your boys luck. Philly looked pretty tough on Monday night.

Chad