PDA

View Full Version : Bat Boys

Norm Harris
12-18-2002, 11:40 AM
It seems that the lords of baseball have come to an almost good decision. Of course I'm talking about the decision that small children should not be allowed on the field as bat boys.

However, they missed a great opportunity to make the game more interesting and make it seem to move faster, even if it doesn't. TheY should set the age limit for the position at 18 and use, dare I say it, BAT GURLS . Dress them up the way pro football chearleaders are dressed and have them run to pick up bats and deliver balls to the ump. The could even do chorus line kicks along the 1st base line during those interminable changes in the pitcher. The term "7th inning stretch" could take on a whole new meaning.

Once they are accepted, they could replace the 1st and 3rd base coaches. I mean, c'mon who enjoys watching two old men standing around with their hands in their pockets waiting for something to happen. Gurls would do the job better and as an added advantage, may be able to distract the opposing infielders into errors.

Wanting to become a baseball watcher again Norm

martin schulz
12-18-2002, 12:26 PM
:confused:

Johannah
12-18-2002, 02:37 PM
Martin, there is just no place to start if you want to understand baseball as an adult. I have one friend from England who came here at 24 years of age, was sports mad and watched games for hours until he got it. My dad started to teach us the vocabulary and arcana of the game when I was about 5 and I still forget how to keep score properly when at a game (not just runs but all the other stuff going on). I was born in Boston which ensured a knowlege of b-ball plus a lifelong assignment to live and die for the Boston Red Sox. It doesn't make sense but is a great game. Bat boys are kids who pick up the bat after the runner drops it. In the last World Series, a little kid came close to getting badly hurt because he wasn't old enough to understand staying out of the way of the big men running quickly, thus the bat boy controversy. Try to understand more and you will more than likely just get a headache.

Sam F
12-18-2002, 06:38 PM
Sombody mention the bat boy? :D :D
http://www.weeklyworldnews.com/imgs/batboy/batboy.jpg

Mrleft8
12-19-2002, 08:06 AM
BOSTON!? tongue.gif
One of the best bumperstickers I ever saw was
" GO GO RED SOX! THIS IS OUR YEAR! 1983(crossed out) 1984 (crossed out) 1985 (crossed out) 1986 (crossed out) 1987 (crossed out) :D

Mike H.
12-19-2002, 08:14 AM
Yikes, Sam! That's sceeeeery! :eek: :eek: :eek:

cs
12-19-2002, 08:49 AM
Lets take this one step further and have Hooters girls as bat boys. Bet that would increase attendance.

Chad

Johannah
12-19-2002, 10:25 AM
Mrleft8, maybe if you grew up in Connecticut, you understand the feeling behind that bumper sticker. The quality of our home life was entirely determined from February to September by the fate of the Sox. My dad had no distance on this whatsoever!!! He was a doctor and we used to worry about the fate of the sick when Teddy W had a fit of attitude at the press and/or was in a slump. He gave them his heart in 1927 and they broke it again and again 'til he died in 1986, in July, after a few bad games.

[ 12-19-2002, 10:26 AM: Message edited by: Johannah ]