PDA

View Full Version : Lurlene McDaniel

cs
12-09-2004, 12:21 PM
She is a writer of young adult fiction with titles such as She Died Too Young and To Young To Die. She is the my daughter's favorite author, but she has just about exhausted all the books the Lurlene has written. Need recomendations of a similar type author.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0553494198.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Product Description:
16-year-old Melissa Austin has always worked hard to get what she wants. As the school year begins, her work is paying off: Her grades are up and she?s landed a coveted spot on the Brain Bowl team. She and her best friend, Jory Delaney, are determined to have the best junior year ever.

Then Melissa receives devastating news about her health. At first she refuses to accept the doctor?s diagnosis, but as her illness gets worse, she cannot deny the truth. Only with the loving support of her family, and especially Jory, can Melissa come to terms with the mysteries of living . . . and dying.

Chad

[ 12-09-2004, 01:22 PM: Message edited by: cs ]

Gonzalo
12-09-2004, 12:25 PM
Chad,

I forgot how old your daughter is. My daughter is 17. Her favorite author for years has been Sarah Dessen.

km gresham
12-09-2004, 12:26 PM
Um, Chad, get her some happy books, too. At her age I loved Nancy Drew, The Dana Girls, Shirly Temple mysteries. I know - I'm OLD! smile.gif

cs
12-09-2004, 12:38 PM
She is going on 12. Are the Sarah Dessen books accetable for that age?

Karen, I've tried to get her to read other books, but she really likes these. I think maybe it helps her appreciate her life more (if you are supposed to appreciate life at that age).

Chad

km gresham
12-09-2004, 12:42 PM
Every girl likes to read sad stories. I liked the classics, too. I liked 8 Cousins, Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm, Anne of Green Gables (really good!) and all the sequals. Louisa May Alcott - Little Women, Little Men,...

I was a voracious reader - back when I had time.

Gonzalo
12-09-2004, 01:44 PM
Chad,

I looked up 3 of Sarah Dessen's books on Amazon.com. Amazon's own review listed the age range for "Someone Like You" (the newest) as 12 and up. On the same page the Library Journal review said 7 and up, so there is a difference of opinion of the appropriate age range.

In a quick survey of a couple of other Dessen books, "This Lullaby: A Novel" was listed by Amazon at 12 and up, and "Dreamland" as 14 and up.

I read one of her books a couple of years ago, but it made no impression on me at all...I don't even remember the name of it.

My daughter has also read some Judy Blume, but her books are a bit controversial because the content is more mature than some parents might want for their kids, but Blume does avoid anything that might be called sensation or titillation. I've heard, "Are You There, God? It's Me, Margaret" spoken of highly.

My daughter also read a lot of books by Caroline B. Cooney. I read one of them about an airplane crash and it was enjoyable...kind of a lightweight and exciting adventure.

I read my daughter many books by Mary Downing Hahn. Those are generally really good books straight from the heart, but not love stories at all. I recommend "Stepping on the Cracks" and its sequel "Following My Own Footsteps." "Daphne's Book" is also one I really enjoyed. Hahn also wrote several really good ghost stories, like "The Doll in the Garden" and a time-travel book, "A Time for Andrew." Amazon lists several Hahn books at grade 4-8 or age 9-12, so if your daughter is a mature reader for her age, she might find Hahn a little young for her.

[ 12-09-2004, 04:33 PM: Message edited by: Gonzalo ]

cs
12-09-2004, 03:00 PM
I've noW got Someone Like You by Sarah Dessen waiting for me to pick up at the bookstore. I will pick it up tonight on my way home so she can have something to read on the way to Atlanta tommorow.

Chad

[ 12-09-2004, 04:54 PM: Message edited by: cs ]

Gonzalo
12-09-2004, 03:35 PM
Hope she enjoys it. I also hope I haven't given you a bum steer on the age range. It sounds like it might be close, and I'm sure my daughter was reading Dessen by age 12. (Just talked to my wife and that is what she remembers, too.)