PDA

View Full Version : The British election?

PeterSibley
04-13-2005, 04:08 AM
We heard the announcement here on the news and a very, very short discussion,the consensis seemed to be that its rather confused.No definite issues and lots of red herrings.How do our British representatives feel? Another term for President Blair ?

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
04-13-2005, 05:00 AM
Another term for President Blair ? Lots, I admired ACB's creative anagram "T. B. Liar.".
Its a neat summary of the way many people feel about Blair - they don't trust him, Iraq has taken hime from bambi to untrustworthy poodle in one dumb move.
There are many ex-labour voters deeply disappointed in the last two governments - 1997->2001 and 2001->2005.

That said, Michael "something of the night" Howard and his band of muddled men do not look like a "government in waiting" - unless you mean waiting for pension-books, bus-passes and replacement.
The tories took a hammering in 2001, and if they fail to improve their position, may yet dissolve.

The Lib-Dems will improve their standing and I expect them to gain a few seats.

The Scottish and Welsh nats may gain a few seats.

Overall I expect that the next Govt. will ba a Gnu-Labour jobbie, but with a majority reduced to 30 to 50.
A repeat of the 1970 result is not impossible.

I heard someone quip "He's got the date wrong - shouldn't be 5/5/5, should be 6/6/6".

[ 04-13-2005, 12:14 PM: Message edited by: P.I. Stazzer-Newt ]

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
04-13-2005, 04:03 PM
Peter, I'd hoped that some of the other Brits might chip in with an opinion - later perhaps.

Hwyl
04-13-2005, 04:08 PM
I'm still registered to vote there, but I don't. I've become so used to America, this two month lead up time does not give me enough time to think. Here in the U.S. we have at least two years.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
04-13-2005, 04:24 PM
I have to declare in interest: I am a card carrying, subscription paying, poster-displaying, leaflet-delivering, canvassing, committee-room-manning, Lib Dem.

My interest in this election is therefore a slightly odd one; I want us to persuade both left-wing Tories and Labour voters who dislike the Liar and his disgraceful conduct to vote for what I genuinely do think are the most sensible, best thought through, set of policies on offer.

I hope that we may gain several more seats; at the moment we have 50 and the Tories have 100 or so.

Because of my head-down, in-the-trenches approach to elections, I will be a poor judge of the state of the nation, I fear, and I do not think that my friends here should rely on my opinion.

PeterSibley
04-13-2005, 04:48 PM
Another term for President Blair ? please excuse my attempt at humour.I'm an Australian, I wouldn't confuse the Westminster system with Congress.It was my reflection on Blair's style :( ,not very PMlike to my way of thinking.

PI, the way you decribe things pretty well jells with reports here.The issues are ,Blair lies,the War and Blair lies.In that case he will win,with a reduced majority which will be just fine for him ....its a lot easier to control the troops if the majority isn't too large.No wonder the election isn't being reported much . :(

edited for lousy spelling

[ 04-13-2005, 05:50 PM: Message edited by: PeterSibley ]