X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jack Heinlen
    Banned
    • Sep 2002

Dogs

I've pretty much given in to the fates. I still look, but am not hot on it.

Martin's question about Border Collies has had me thinking. People, often, get dogs for the wrong reasons. They like their look, a dog fits with an image, but they don't have any idea what a piece of work it is to do well by a dog like a Border Collie.

Some are easier than others. A Border Collie isn't one of the easy ones unless one is an active person and is intent on making the dog a part of the action. Then they fit, if you fit them.

Looking at the shelters, there are so many sad stories of dogs that turned out not to fit with a person's image.

They need to be walked and run -- to play. Most have a need to do something that feels useful to them. They need a modicum of training, and direction -- some more than a modicum. It isn't a huge deal, but many people have not a clue when they plunk down the cash for a cute pup, or take in a stray.

Just maunderings. Yours? And please, Joe and others, don't excoriate me for not finding a dog yet. It's a fascinating and complex relationship, dogs and people.
  • Dale R. Hamilton
    Dale Hamilton
    • Mar 2001

What I don't understand Jack- is how somebody can drag home a dog- chain him in the back yard, and forget the little begger. And all the while the dog- a naturally social creature, slowly goes crazy and barks all the time out of boredom. Whats the payoff for the owner? Why bother with another mouth to feed?

Comment

• Jack Heinlen
      Banned
      • Sep 2002

Dale,

Sigh. Dogs, almost without exception, are not for the fussy and neat. Dogs are dirty animals. They dig in the dirt, they shed, they have accidents occasionally. Not for the compulsive cleaner.

Why someone would have a dog and not make it a member of the household is beyond me. If you don't want fuzzy, doggy friend, then don't.

I had some casual friends when I lived in Baltimore. They kept a perfect house, I mean PERFECT. Their dog, a sweet little Cocker Spaniel, was relegated to the garage. It was allowed in to say hello, and then back to the garage.

What an abject horror those people were, shudder.

[ 02-17-2005, 10:30 AM: Message edited by: Jack Heinlen ]

Comment

• Del Lansing
        • Mar 2000

You will do good to avoid one of these:

The most ill-tempered creatures, with big, mean, bitey teeth.

Comment

• Magwitch
          • Sep 2004

My last three dogs have been Border Collies, all bought off or rescued from farms. Beyond doubt the brightest of dogs, they need constant stimulation and company, but unless they are required to work do not require miles of exersize. As long as they get enough not to get fat that's fine. But for sure they are the Thinkingest dog. Boredom is not good for them, they do very badly on it.
          IanW

Comment

• Emerson
            Old No. 626
            • Sep 1999

Looking at the shelters, there are so many sad stories of dogs that turned out not to fit with a person's image.
            And that, sir, is the truth. We know, because we have three dogs from a Great Dane rescue. How is it someone could make a decision to get a GREAT Dane, and not realize they'll be rather large? The rescue we work with was involved (Mid Atlantic region) in something like 700 plus dogs last year alone... Sad stuff. Great big goofballs that they can't find it in their hearts to say no to, and don't have the stuff to accept responsibility for later. So they dump 'em.

Then there are those like our neighbors who just had to breed their boxer for $$$. "She wants to be a mommy" they said. No she didn't, she wants more attention. Then their friends, who have this beautiful Newfie. They won't let her in (she sheds) but they are intent on breeding her nonetheless. They ought to have been sterilized before they had their brats to show them how (not) to treat critters.

Comment

• Emerson
              Old No. 626
              • Sep 1999

Donn ->

Comment

• paladinsfo
                Senior Senior Member
                • Dec 2000

Spend time with your pup....

When my Cocker, Brandy, passed away after more tha 14 years...I waited more than a year to get Critter. The Cocker rescue brought 3 beautifully groomed fluff buckets to the apartment, and one small not well cared for pup. The other dogs would not let her drink....kept her from treats and raised hell when I tried to pet her and not them. Guess which one I picked.
                ..and after two years.....
                when I went to the hospital, a local vet took care of her.....and when I came home, the nurse that visited 3 times a day offerred to walk her..
                when critter came in the door she sat down on a throw rug and held up a paw...she asked what she was doing...and I said that when Critter came in from a walk or run she would sit down and wait for her paws to be wiped clean....she has a blanket'beach towel on the foot of the bed and she will crie and ask to get on the bed...not just jump there....she has her own place on the sofa.....and she likes warm water in the bathtub/shower and all it takes is a whistle....I can make her breakfast or dinner and she won't charge in until I tell her to do so...she brings her collar and leash when she wants to go out....unless it's to chase a local cat and then she just sticks her nose to the door and whines..
                she brings me her favorite squeeky toy when it's play time...and she does not expect treats....the entire process is spending time with your pet.....and even the grand critters wear her out....
                Wakan Tanka Kici Un
                ..a bad day sailing is a heckuva lot better than the best day at work.....
                Fighting Illegal immigration since 1492....
                Live your life so that whenever you lose, you're ahead."
                "If you live life right, death is a joke as far as fear is concerned."

Comment

• George.
                  • Aug 2004

Come on, Jack, just get a dog. If you are going to agonize over which breed like the proverbial ass starving between two bundles of hay, then get a mutt. Get the next one you run across, without thinking. I promise you'll be in love with it before day three, and vice versa.

I wonder if once people become able to choose the features of their children through genetic engineering, couples that want kids will spend years childless because they can't decide on which features they want. "I can't decide between an intellectual red-headed girl or an athletic blue-eyed boy."

I say just let nature take its course, with dogs, children, or any other pets...

Comment

• Barry
                    Banned
                    • Nov 2001

Jack:
                    Maybe you'd like to check this out.
                    Good organization doing vital work.

Volunteers - raise puppies in their homes, under the supervision of our puppy coordinators who set the program for the puppy's care and training (primarily applicable to New England residents).

Join these dedicated and loving people in our “puppy raiser” program. We need families and individuals to open their hearts and homes for one year to care for a NEADS' puppy (between four and six months old) before it starts formal assistance dog training in our kennel.

To apply to become a volunteer puppy raiser, click here.

Veterinarians – donate their services for puppies care during the important first year of life. (primarily applicable to New England residents).

If you can help care for a puppy's medical needs, please let us know.

Breeders – donate Golden and Labrador retrievers to begin their new careers as assistance dog trainees (applicable to residents nationwide).

Puppy Walkers and Feeders –spend time at NEADS puppy early learning center taking the puppies for walks, feeding them, giving basic socialization and preparing them for eventual training.

(primarily applicable to Massachusetts residents).

* To apply to become a volunteer for the Niles Nursery - Early Learning Center, click here.

Pups on Parole – take puppies from prison to the community and places where people gather to condition them to people and novel experiences. Helping the puppies to see and experience things they may not encounter in prison, these volunteers bring an important socialization to the early stages of puppy “town” training. (primarily applicable to New England residents)

Help us expand our puppy program by volunteering your time, energy and love in these ways.

For more information, Call or email us:

(978) 422-0496

Email: [email protected]

about us | services | news | how to help | puppy program | contact us | graduation | privacy | home
                    Copyright© 2004 NEADS
                    Site powered by: Mevin Productions.

Comment

• Ian McColgin
                      • Apr 1999

Funny reading this as today I'm dog sitting. Joey, a sheltie bitch, had a subcutinous tumor removed and I'm hanging about my friend's house keeping her quiet. There's also Baby, a moronic great dane, and Thunder, the wise old mutt and despite the depridations of age, a size disadvantage with Baby, and temperment disadvantage with Joey, distinctly alpha dog.

Just a quiet afternoon in the neighborhood.

Comment

• Finbar McRuff
                        • Apr 2002

Originally posted by Jack Heinlen:
                        Dogs are dirty animals.
                        You think I'm dirty, do you! Just wait, one of these days, Mr Heinlen, one of these days - I'm gonna bite you were it hurts.

You'd better take that back...

Comment

• DougR
                          obnoxiously persistent.
                          • Jan 2005

This is a Heinlen thread, where's the recipe?
                          I'd much rather lay in my bunk all freakin day lookin at Youtube videos .

Comment

• Jack Heinlen
                            Banned
                            • Sep 2002

But you are Mr. Finbar! I don't mind, I'm a bit of a dirty animal myself, but some wig out with dirty paws, and fleas, and hair in the soup.

You won't bite me! Nope, I know the look.

Comment

• Emerson
                              Old No. 626
                              • Sep 1999

Jack,
                              Last night we got home to the free local paper (advertisements mostly). In there was a plea for $ assistance for a couple pups that had been found with severe demodectic mange on the side of the road during this January's deep freeze. Two little females, completely lacking any fur, temps were well below freezing. Animal control found them huddled together on the edge of pavement just waiting...

The lady who volunteers at the shelter offered to take them in (the shelter was going to put them down because of crowding and their poor condition).

The picture in the paper showed the most adorable little pups... huddled together like when they were found.

Someone out there actually had the mean spirit to dump these pups miles from home in that condition in that weather... They should be removed from the gene pool.

Comment

Working...