PDA

View Full Version : He breaches! It be the White Whale!!!

Bob Cleek
10-10-2000, 12:57 AM
Back on line after seven weeks of being unplugged. Moved the homestead west... about two miles. Flat land, though. Better for boatbuilding, if I ever get to it. All the tools are in cardboard boxes in the garage. Trying to do a remodel job with only a Leatherman is a challenge! Totally disorganized, but whatta ya gonna do? Old Patience lives up to her name, sitting in the harbor. Had to pass on the haul out this season, so it will have to wait till early spring. Maybe an eight on the "guilt meter." Gotta build the new shop first. If I can only remember which box the vise is packed in... know what I mean? Life's a bitch and then ya die.

Glad to see you clowns are having fun. I'll try to drop in a bit more often. Can't give it the old "four hours a night... read every post" routine, though. Looks like we oldtimers created a monster here! Remember when there were maybe 300 posts total? LOL

Yawl be good now!

John R Smith
10-10-2000, 04:49 AM
Bob -

great to see you back with us (again). Nice to have an update, too. Now, recently everyone around here has just been too NICE (although Dale and Scott do their best to keep us down to earth). We badly need a hefty dose of cynical realism that only you can provide, in your own inimical style. Hone your cutting edge, Bob. In fact, I'll even volunteer to be the first victim, if you like.

John

dngoodchild
10-10-2000, 06:40 AM
Bob:

From the title of your most recent and most welcome post, can we assume that you are not petite? Cheers, David

jeffery
10-10-2000, 08:26 AM
Dear Mr Cleek
Life is wonderful and then you go to heavan
jeffery

J. Dillon
10-10-2000, 08:33 AM
Welcome back Bob. Looking foward to your posts. Especially a little down to earth comments in one particular "lofty" 200 + posts thread.

Paul
10-10-2000, 12:09 PM
It has his name but is it Bob, or an imposter. I don't think it is Bob.

Art Read
10-10-2000, 12:20 PM
Well... He must have been "impostering" for 500 plus posts then, according to his "bio"....

Ed Harrow
10-10-2000, 12:45 PM
Hey Bob, Y'all be good now, ya hear. Sorry to have missed you out is San Fransisco, but a good time was had by all...

Bob Cleek
10-10-2000, 12:57 PM
David,... I FEEL like Moby Dick... need to drop about thirty. Pretty sad. Too much good living. Sat on my butt after that car crash last year screwed up my back and just porked out. Nothing a couple of weeks at sea wouldn't cure. Ever notice how fast you lose weight and get in shape sailing for a long time. I think it's all that isometric exercise you get rolling around in the swells. Anyhow... yea, it's me. But I am going to have to be sparing with my time. I'm up to my arse in alligators around here trying to rebuild this house. Sort of fun, though. I can buy plywood at Home Despot and not feel guilty! No need to build to "yacht standards."

TomRobb
10-10-2000, 01:03 PM
Maybe you CAN go home again. Welcome back.

thechemist
10-10-2000, 01:20 PM
Indeed.

Andrew Craig-Bennett
10-10-2000, 06:09 PM
Yes indeed.

htom
10-10-2000, 06:36 PM
If he's buying plywood at the Orange Store, can he really be our Bob Cleek?

Greg H
10-10-2000, 07:00 PM
What about epoxy or liquid nails?

Todd Schliemann
10-10-2000, 10:25 PM
Cleek, you old turd. So you do float! Welcome home.

none
10-10-2000, 11:16 PM
hay yall told me this Cleek fella was swallowed up in the devils triangle......hhuumm the devil must have got tired of him and sent him back.L.O.L.
welcome back Bob.

Todd Schliemann
10-11-2000, 01:01 AM
For those that know little of this sad soul, a brief story of his early years, courtesy and apologies to D. G.... and a salute to the "old" Forum.

"That storied mariner Bob Cleek, (who today celebrated his 123rd birthday at his fine home in California) entered upon the nautical world scene as a very young prodigy of Lord Dufferin, who employed him from the age of seven as a brass polisher on the Earl's wonderful little cutter Lady Hermione. While under the expert tutelage of Lord Dufferin, Mr. Cleek was fortunate to cruise on many occasions from the South Coast of England to the South of France with the Earl and acquired much nautical lore in the process. He parted company with Lord Dufferin at the age of twelve due to a misunderstanding about some brass balls. He overheard an acquaintance of the Earl's commenting upon the Earl's "brass balls", and, not having known of these additional brass devices upon the little cutter previously, attempted to perform his duties and polish them when the Earl was in repose. Mr. Cleek was deposited summarily on the dock at Mousehole (near Pensance) and was not seen again for about a year. There are no reports of how he spent this time but in 1888. He surfaced again as a stowaway about Dr. Claude Worth's cutter Foam. It wasn't until Foam reached Jersey that he was discovered. Shouting "You little devil," Dr. Worth was so enraged that he sent him down the anchor chain attached to a shackle. Mr. Cleek (who was a little overweight at the time) changed the catenary to such advantage that Dr. Worth retrieved him and fabricated a new device which he originally thought of calling an "anchor devil" in view of its origin, but later changed to "anchor angel" because of its safekeeping properties."

He was but a lad then and now he bursts above the waves as MOBY DICK himself! All hands to the boats! We must not let him get away! ONWARD!

Bob Cleek
10-11-2000, 02:09 AM
Oh, Gawd! It isn't easy being a legend in your own time... or is that "in your own mind?" LOL

Bob Cleek
10-11-2000, 02:10 AM
Oh, Gawd! It isn't easy being a legend in your own time... or is that "in your own mind?" LOL

Ross Miller
10-11-2000, 03:41 AM
Scott was right - there are two of them.

abe
10-11-2000, 09:28 AM
Welcome back. Get that remodel job completed and make plans to get over to the east coast for next years "Mystic Meeting".

Andrew
10-11-2000, 01:22 PM
Plywood, Bob? That's not a WOODEN house.

BrianCunningham
10-11-2000, 03:43 PM
Welcome back Bob! http://www.corvetteforum.net/c5/96lt4/byebye.gif

docgoeckel
10-11-2000, 04:36 PM
dear bob, i am trying to restore my rare quadruple cockpit garwood runabout using mdo plywood to save money and a good quality polyester resin to stick it all together, will the plywood overlay detract from the appearance or wood a good stain help? any advise you can offer wood be helpful. signed, virgin restorer. ps. when i rolled the hull over to start on the bottom the engine fell out, can that be a problem?

welcome back!!!!

Phil Young
10-11-2000, 07:16 PM
Bob you're a sinner. Fancy putting the house before the boat. Good to hear from you mate.

rickprose
10-11-2000, 07:24 PM
the meek shall pass, the cleek shall rise...

Peter Kalshoven
10-12-2000, 07:47 AM
Jeez, there goes the neighborhood.....and it's about time, too. Welcome back, Bob.

Bob Cleek
10-13-2000, 01:28 AM
Thanks, Guys!

Miller, Robert W.
10-14-2000, 12:06 AM
Bobby meboy! Still got the same one, or was the move a joint decision? No matter, the underinformed masses will take your leadership in any form you would like to present it. In the vacume that you left, verbosity is the norm. Insted of question and answer, we now have run on ignorance. We are in such bad shape that the questions that once required one to turn the boot over and read the instuctions printed on the heel to recieve the answer, now require we all read 30 or 40 posts that may or may not have anything to do with the original question!
I gott'a admit, I ain't doin my part. My number two daughter(with the next three boat builders) has me building HER DREAM ! A 4500 sq ft house with an 8/12 roof takes more time than an old man has!
Maybe we could try it time about. cut back to just answering the question, with out all the B.S.. Who in the hell is going to research 10500 posts to find an answer?
The rest of you need to do some looking and thinking before tying up the amount of time we all have to spend on this place. A chat line is nice, an information line that works may be the difference between a launching, and a fitting recovery fire. Don't burn up the net typing about this stuff, just think about it. Bob M.

Ross Miller
10-14-2000, 02:18 AM
The Visigoth Aristocracy rides back into town. Offer up your daughters, and quit complaining.

K.E. Baisch
10-14-2000, 12:16 PM
I got some sisters you can have...
but I think you've had enough trouble already.
Good to have you back Bob. Your advice may have been bad, but it was always sincere and, most importantly, free. I've missed you.
Are you welling up yet? Me too.
Karen

Bob Cleek
10-14-2000, 01:53 PM
Karen! Miller! Howdy!

Looks like a "Wooden boat revival" revival. Here we all are rising from the dead!

Still, gotta keep it in perspective. There's work to do and talking about it won't get it done. I saw a picture of a boatyard in Maine recently. They had a sign on the wall that said, "Sorry, but we don't have time to talk." LOL I know the feeling. Good to hear from you all! I'll drop by now and then, for sure!

Don Danenberg
10-15-2000, 12:07 AM
Bob, its about time, have a publisher looking for a 'Clack'; ala radio's 'Click and Clack', interested? Don

Scott Rosen
10-16-2000, 10:15 AM
Karen, nice of you to offer your sisters. But an occassion like this calls for the sacrifice of virgins. I'll keep your offer in mind, though, when we're setting up Cleek's harem.

none
10-16-2000, 03:12 PM
hay ....I say beggers cann't be choosers, any of'm like boats that need work but look good???? if so give'm my my email mail.....hehehe heck with Bob he can fend for his self hehehe

JormaS
10-17-2000, 05:03 PM
Bob, Im glad youre back. Always enjoyed your writing.

Jorma

K.E. Baisch
10-20-2000, 10:36 AM
Hi Scott,
Aw...virgins ya say. Naw-- then none of my sisters will qualify for sure, but
gee willikers, I think they'd burn just the same.
Besides I really don't think you should do that sort of thing to a homely second-grader.
My offer stands.

Bob, you bad influence.
Karen

Scott Rosen
10-20-2000, 11:08 AM
Jeesh, Karen, have you no discretion!??

When Cleek finds out you have a homely second-grade sister who puts out, you'll never get rid of him!

docgoeckel
10-20-2000, 11:11 AM
how 'bout we get that "virgin restorer" back in here to tell us how it's done.

Ian McColgin
10-20-2000, 11:25 AM
I think Mr Smith makes a special epoxy for that . . .

Gary Bergman
10-20-2000, 02:48 PM
Stitch and glue....

Bob Cleek
10-21-2000, 05:58 PM
I didn't start this... really I didn't!

Kermit
10-21-2000, 06:12 PM
It all started with this Really Big Bang.

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
02-19-2004, 05:59 AM
Welcome back Mr. Cleek!
It's great to know you're still around.
Peace---> Kevin in Ohio

Bruce Taylor
02-19-2004, 08:22 AM
Welcome back Mr. Cleek!
It's great to know you're still aroundCheck the dates, Kevin.

NormMessinger
02-19-2004, 10:47 AM
:mad:

Trapped again. Dang! I hate it when these old threads are pulled up. How's about just calling our attention to them with a link.

http://www.astroalley.com/emoticons/angryNoAnim.gif

It is often only after I read half way through an unusually interesting threat and come upon a particularly insightful response that I look to see who wrote it and find it was I that I realize I was suckered in to an old thread.
http://www.speakeasy.org/~ncarey/images/smileys/irked.gif

JimD
02-20-2004, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Ironmule:
bump :D Welcome back, Ironmule. :rolleyes: