PDA

View Full Version : A serious thread regarding the President's truthfulness, which is a serious matter.

ljb5
12-21-2005, 11:50 AM
Any time you hear the United States government talking about wiretap, it requires—a wiretap requires a court order. Nothing has changed, by the way. When we're talking about chasing down terrorists, we're talking about getting a court order before we do so. It's important for our fellow citizens to understand, when you think Patriot Act, constitutional guarantees are in place when it comes to doing what is necessary to protect our homeland, because we value the Constitution.

George Bush, April 24, 2004 (http://www.slate.com/id/2132934/) I wonder what else he might have lied about. Anyone think we should re-examine his statements about torture?

[ 12-21-2005, 03:01 PM: Message edited by: ljb5 ]

Rick Tyler
12-21-2005, 11:56 AM
Avocado Turkey Enchiladas

(Serves 4)

I N G R E D I E N T S

1/3 cup yellow or red onion, chopped
1 tablespoon butter
2 cups Norbest Turkey, cooked and shredded
1 can (8 ounce) stewed tomatoes
1/4 cup mild or hot salsa
1 can (4 ounce) diced green chilies (optional)
1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1 can (11 ounce) enchilada sauce
8 corn tortillas
1/4 cup salsa, hot or mild
3/4 cup Monterey cheese, shredded
Sour cream as needed
Ripe olives, whole as needed
2 avocados, halved, peeled, pitted and sliced into crescents
Guacamole as needed

D I R E C T I O N S

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. In a large skillet, saute onion in butter until softened. Add next 5 ingredients and heat through. Keep warm over low heat. Cover the bottom of a 12 x 8 x 2-inch baking pan with half the enchilada sauce. One at a time, dampen each tortilla with water and heat on both sides in a hot, ungreased skillet until soft and pliable. Place 1/4 cup turkey mixture on each tortilla and roll; place in baking dish. Repeat. Top with remaining enchilada sauce, salsa, and cheese. Cover and bake until heated through (15 minutes). Garnish with sour cream, avocado crescents and ripe olives. Serve with Spanish rice and guacamole.

Memphis Mike
12-21-2005, 11:58 AM
:D tongue.gif

Ian McColgin
12-21-2005, 11:59 AM
Well, it was a secret operation so of course one must lie about it.

While one might quite properly lie about either, there is still a difference between a legal secret operation and an illegal secret operation.

In this case, the lieing is incidental to the a priori lawlessness.

Meerkat
12-21-2005, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Rick Tyler:
Avocado Turkey Enchiladas

It must be a lie - it's avacado turkey torture! :eek: :D :D :D

Rick Tyler
12-21-2005, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Norman Bernstein:
Not a single thing in ljb5's posting of this thread deserved the kind of utter disrespect you just showed.. to EVERYONE here... by posting a recipe in response.Wouldn't it have been just as convenient for LBJ to add this post to one of the other two or three hundred "Bush loves torture and violates civil rights" threads? What in this post -- which was a simple C&P and included no original content -- demanded yet another thread on this subject? Netiquette cuts more than one way.

[ 12-21-2005, 12:34 PM: Message edited by: Rick Tyler ]

Meerkat
12-21-2005, 12:36 PM
One evening, Jesus walked into an inn, threw down a handfull of nails and said: "Can you put me up for the night?" ;) :D

ljb5
12-21-2005, 12:42 PM
What in this post -- which was a simple C&P and included no original content.Hogwash.

I made a comment and asked a question.

cedar savage
12-21-2005, 12:55 PM
Hey Rick. That sounds good. Think I'll give it a try. Guacamole as needed? I'll need a lot.

Bernstein still hasn't taken that ice water immersion I recommended to him a coupla days ago to help deal with his brain fever.

Osborne Russel
12-21-2005, 12:58 PM
I fall for it often. Seems like you guys fall for it every time.

Cuyahoga Chuck
12-21-2005, 01:12 PM
And the hits (literally) just keep on coming.
Take it easy ljb5. You'll run us out of bushlovers.
You should couch your remarks in the terms of a sermon. They love sermons. "Would Jesus want us to tortute our enemies?" "Should we covet our neighbors phonecalls?" And like that.
Here's another one. "Why the the Good Samaritan did not kidnap the man who fell among robbers and drop him in a foreign country."
The religious content of all this is very noticeable. Bush will soon star in his very own morality play. Will he say,"the Devil made me do it?". Will he ask for exorcism? Stay tuned for the next exciting chapter of.... ( Here insert a title of your own but keep it clean. This is after all a morality play).
Charlie

[ 12-21-2005, 01:15 PM: Message edited by: Cuyahoga Chuck ]

BrianW
12-21-2005, 01:16 PM
I made a comment and asked a question.Factually speaking, that's a fact, and as a matter of fact, in this link...

Factual link by me, to this very thread (http://www.woodenboat-ubb.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=028421)

the facts will be clear. Of course, now, after the fact, it may be redundant to clink on my fact link, as the fact indicate you'll end up back here anyhow. But then this whole thread is redundant, factually speaking of course.

But the fact that were not actually 'speaking' must be verified in fact, a Google search may reveal some more facts that conclude were acutally typing, not speaking. May the fact Gods be pleased.

smile.gif

Cuyahoga Chuck
12-21-2005, 01:19 PM
Give it a "7" for OBFUSCATION.

ljb5
12-21-2005, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by Cuyahoga Chuck:
You should couch your remarks in the terms of a sermon.Actually, I was thinking of drawing a direct comparison to Clinton's famous phrase, "I did not have sexual relations with that woman...."

Because I remember a time when some people used to think it mattered if the president lies.

However, I figured that would just confuse some people.

I do notice that some people seem to be going way out of their way to avoid talking about this issue.

Meerkat
12-21-2005, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by ljb5:

I do notice that some people seem to be going way out of their way to avoid talking about this issue.Not avoiding it - just not interested in SSDD.

Rick Tyler
12-21-2005, 01:31 PM
I'm sorry to see this... because I had, up until now, considered you to be one of the rational and reasonable folks engaged in discussion hereDid you read the thread title? This was never meant to be a thoughtful, reasonable thread. I will confess to romping with the pigs this time, but it's hard to feel to guilty about dismissing a blind polemic. Seriously, did you feel that this topic sentence added any value to anyone's understanding of anything? Some threads are fun, some are serious, some are touching, others are gasoline squirt guns at a lighter convention. I promise that I will always take seriously things that were meant seriously.

As for being the arbiter of appropriate posting behavior in an open forum, either all of us are, or none of us are. Why would you sit back and accept thread titles like this one? You are a reasonable man (I mean this non-sarcastically), why do you accept this sort of thing?

Ignoring LBJ is always the right tactic -- I'll grant you that, and I have some regrets that I jumped into the pigpen on this occasion.

Mostly, I thought the recipe was a humorous response to a cartoon post.

Bob Smalser
12-21-2005, 01:34 PM
Another 10 bucks from Move-on.org and five from the DNC for another slanted post.

At least it's good to see you are working.

[ 12-21-2005, 01:35 PM: Message edited by: Bob Smalser ]

ljb5
12-21-2005, 01:34 PM
Rick, although I attempted to use a little humor to lighten the mood, make no mistake -- I consider this topic serious and I meant it to be taken seriously.

Here we have absolute, irrefutable proof that Bush lied to us.

I consider that serious -- do you?

[ 12-21-2005, 01:37 PM: Message edited by: ljb5 ]

Cuyahoga Chuck
12-21-2005, 01:42 PM
It's "ljb" not "lbj". He don't care but, he hasn't skewered me (yet) so I'll take his part.
Since most of us are unkown to each other, you become what you post.
Neocon humor doesn't come across in text very well. Better find a new literary vehichle.
Last post-4.5 Too defensive. You did better with fire and manuever.
Charlie

Meerkat
12-21-2005, 01:46 PM
It was a chuckle to see how low some people can stoop to denigrate and humiliate someone else simply because they don't like their opinions.
Anyone who takes offense from an online chat should just stay in the closet and stoke their zither. :rolleys:

Rick Tyler
12-21-2005, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by Cuyahoga Chuck:
Last post-4.5 Too defensive. It was a violation of Disraeli's advice to Internet posters.

cedar savage
12-21-2005, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Fred Z:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Cuyahoga Chuck:
It's "ljb" not "lbj".Lessee... Who else used to call "ljb5" "LBJ"?</font>[/QUOTE]Hmmmmmm. Several people, me, maybe, can't remember.

BrianW
12-21-2005, 02:24 PM
Norman writes...

Because it isn't my place to decide what is or is not an appropriate posting...Is it just me, or does anyone else find the irony in this sentence? :D

Joe (SoCal)
12-21-2005, 02:26 PM
It's just you smile.gif

LeeG
12-21-2005, 02:31 PM
damn it Bob,,I want my piece of the action,,I've been doing this for free.

Garrett Lowell
12-21-2005, 02:31 PM
I don't recall seeing Norman jump on JCSOH or LeeG when they've done the very same thing on numerous threads.

Memphis Mike
12-21-2005, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by Garrett Lowell:
I don't recall seeing Norman jump on JCSOH or LeeG when they've done the very same thing on numerous threads.It's all a secret Liberal plot to run all the conservatives off the forum.
:D

Garrett Lowell
12-21-2005, 02:45 PM
Well, just go and look at any of Ishmael's threads in the last 90 days and you'll see what I mean. And those are only the threads I've seen....

TomF
12-21-2005, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Memphis Mike:
It's all a secret Liberal plot to run all the conservatives off the forum. :D Yeah. Even the Liberals are kept in the dark about this plot...

High C
12-21-2005, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Joe ( Cold Spring on Hudson ):
It's just you smile.gif No it's not...

troutman
12-21-2005, 02:48 PM
Oh. . . .its the DNC's fault. You got the Senate, the House and the White house and its the DNC's fault the Pres has the FBI watching the Quakers. Stick to boats you dope.

High C
12-21-2005, 02:50 PM
Rick, what exactly is Norbest Turkey?

Norman, the title of this thread is ridiculous. Ridiculousness invites ridicule.

It was not a serious thread. None of his are...

Rick Tyler
12-21-2005, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by High C:
Rick, what exactly is Norbest Turkey?It's a brand name, I should have deleted that, I guess. It came from their Website, and I found it when I started thinking seriously about Christmas turkey enchiladas.

ljb5
12-21-2005, 03:02 PM
Norman, the title of this thread is ridiculous. Ridiculousness invites ridicule.

It was not a serious thread. None of his are...I have edited the title of the thread to more accurately reflect the seriousness of this issue.

Are you now able to address the issue?

High C
12-21-2005, 04:12 PM
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> Norman, the title of this thread is ridiculous. Ridiculousness invites ridicule.
No, HighC... ridicule is never an 'invited' quality. It is the cheap and tawdry tactic used by those who are ignorant, rude, insensitive, closed-minded, intolerant, and just plain unimaginative.</font>[/QUOTE]I profoundly disagree.

Ridicule is often invited, and sometimes richly deserved. And I'll have you know, sir, that I resent being called unimaginative! :mad: :D

ljb5
12-21-2005, 04:19 PM
Ridicule is often invited, and sometimes richly deserved.I gotta agree with High C on this.

No one does a better job of inviting ridicule than a neocon!

Another response which is often invited is scrutiny.

For example, if a person once said something, but later said the opposite, it invites us to look more closely.

Alan D. Hyde
12-21-2005, 04:24 PM
DON'T FEED THE TROLL...

Alan

Cuyahoga Chuck
12-21-2005, 04:31 PM
Last post-1.5 Retrograde movement toward Indianapolis. No defensible positions there.

[ 12-21-2005, 04:33 PM: Message edited by: Cuyahoga Chuck ]

Cuyahoga Chuck
12-21-2005, 04:50 PM
Aw'right men, we're going to sortee against the DNC and Moveon.org.

But, colonal, the Supreme Court has sent sappers out to cut a path to the White House!

Shuddup, boy! Everybody got their helmut liners and entrenching tools?

Does the colonel know something we don't know?

Jagermeister
12-21-2005, 05:04 PM
Sorry to disturb "serious" content of this thread. redface.gif Moved my comment to this thread: Senate to hold earings on wire-tap (http://www.woodenboat-ubb.com/cgi-bin/UBB/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=028407#000029)

I'll try not to let it happen again.

[ 12-21-2005, 05:15 PM: Message edited by: Jagermeister ]

Memphis Mike
12-21-2005, 05:11 PM
This is a "serious thread" dude. I think she may be a Republican too.

I still wouldn't kick her outa bed for eatin crackers.

http://images.wickedweasel.com/skins/white/models/jemima/3.jpg

LeeG
12-21-2005, 05:29 PM
MMike,,could you post pictures of women closer to our age and not our daughters? You know,,30something

Rick Tyler
12-21-2005, 05:33 PM
I jumped all over JCSOH when he pulled the same sort of crap on another thread.... with me, civility ain't a partisan thing.

As for LeeG, I don't honestly recall seeing him do the same sort of thing... but point it out, and I'll happily rake HIM over the coals, too... it's about civility, not politics.Norman, you have set yourself up as the arbiter of civility on WBF. How does this reconcile with your comment earlier in this thread:

"I wasn't aware that you consider yourself the arbiter of just what is or is not a valid and legitimate posting on this forum.... I foolishly thought that ALL were free to post here... without harrassment."

If I understand you correctly, you are the arbiter of what is appropriate along a value axis of civility, and I am NOT an arbiter of whether something is or is not valuable according to some other set of criteria? If this is not your point, please expand.

As for ridicule, have you ever read Mark Twain's Fenimore Cooper's Literary Offenses? Or anything Meerkat, George(dot), Osborne or any one of a number of regulars have written on the subjects of 1) George Bush, 2) Christians, 3) Conservatives on a daily basis? Are you committing yourself to expunging ridicule from the forum, or is it just me?

For the record, I wasn't ridiculing LJB. I was suggesting that what he wrote wasn't worth discussing, and I'll stick with that. (What he linked to was interesting, but his own post was just a form of "Flame on, doodz!!3!")

Have you ever read Perelandra by CS Lewis? LJB is Dr. Weston after his death, an Unman haunting the Bilge with his endless repetitions of the same ideas and themes, not hearing anything else or being changed by anything in the environment around him. This thread-starting post was nothing different, and you will note that the new subject line is just as infantile as the first one.

High C
12-21-2005, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by LeeG:
MMike,,could you post pictures of women closer to our age and not our daughters? You know,,30somethingMike, please don't post pictures of bikini clad women who are Lee's age.

Rick Tyler
12-21-2005, 05:38 PM
could you post pictures of women closer to our age and not our daughters? Dood!!3! Your daughter is hot!3!!

(I would have had my son translate that into LEET for me, but then I'd have to let him see the pic...)

Meerkat
12-21-2005, 06:19 PM

(I would have had my son translate that into LEET for me, but then I'd have to let him see the pic...)It's really ok Rick - he probably even drinks coffee when you're not looking ;)

Memphis Mike
12-21-2005, 06:39 PM
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by LeeG:
MMike,,could you post pictures of women closer to our age and not our daughters? You know,,30somethingMike, please don't post pictures of bikini clad women who are Lee's age.</font>[/QUOTE]LOL! :D

JimD
12-21-2005, 06:42 PM
MMike,,could you post pictures of women closer to our age and not our daughters? You know,,30somethingYeah, Mmike, how about it? So we don't have to feel like creeps when we looks at 'em. In praise of older women, eh? :D

Memphis Mike
12-21-2005, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by JimD:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by LeeG:
MMike,,could you post pictures of women closer to our age and not our daughters? You know,,30somethingYeah, Mmike, how about it? So we don't have to feel like creeps when we looks at 'em. In praise of older women, eh? :D </font>[/QUOTE]http://images.wickedweasel.com/skins/white/models/julie/0.jpg