PDA

View Full Version : Gobble Gobble!!!!!!

Memphis Mike
11-26-2002, 07:17 PM
Roasted, smoked, DEEP FRIED or raw? :eek:
Stuffed or not stuffed?
Cornbread dressing or white bread? etc. etc.
etc.

We're having a traditional Thanksgiving
meal here. I usually smoke the turkey
but believe I'll roast his arse this year.
White bread dressing, green bean caserol :D {sp}
smashed taters and gravy, cranberry sauce,
HOT ROLLS and a apple cobbler to top it all
off with. :D

Man! I love to eat! When folks try to get me
to stop eatin, I'm outa here!!!! ;)

Memphis Mike
11-26-2002, 07:34 PM
That's easy, I got me a big pipe! :eek: :D

Peter Malcolm Jardine
11-26-2002, 07:38 PM
that brought back a tv memory.

Who said "As God is my witness, I didn't know turkeys couldn't fly" :D

Memphis Mike
11-26-2002, 07:45 PM
El Pete, it's like iss. Turkeys CAN
fly just not vury far.

Peter Malcolm Jardine
11-26-2002, 07:51 PM
well you must have skinny ass turkeys.. cuz a fly is more than five feet isn't it? (My sister has turkeys... and no wisecracks)

Mr Carlson in WKRP. When they dropped the Turkeys from the helicopter with Les commentating...ROTFL

ishmael
11-26-2002, 07:52 PM
Let me guess, that's a Turkish tobacco pipe.

Roger Stouff
11-26-2002, 07:52 PM
What's white bread dressing?

Peter Malcolm Jardine
11-26-2002, 07:53 PM
well you must have skinny ass turkeys.. cuz a fly is more than five feet isn't it? (My sister has turkeys... and no wisecracks)

Mr Carlson in WKRP. When they dropped the Turkeys from the helicopter with Les commentating...ROT :D :D FL

Memphis Mike
11-26-2002, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by Roger Stouff:
What's white bread dressing?It's the way my momma used to make it
Roger. It's made out of day old stale
white bread. No corn bread in it. Although,
I've been known to mix some corn bread in it.
I had never eaten corn bread dressing until
I moved tp Memphis.

Peter Malcolm Jardine
11-26-2002, 08:06 PM
Yep.. up here we use white bread, onion, sage, raisins, ummm okay I give up :eek:

Memphis Mike
11-26-2002, 08:10 PM
Celery. The secret to good dressing is
to not get it too moist. I hate runny
dressing. :mad:

JimD
11-26-2002, 08:11 PM
Raw, definitely. Anyone can eat a cooked turkey, nothing special there :D

Meerkat
11-26-2002, 08:11 PM
Ain't ya a West Virginian thar MMike? I'da thought a traditional meal would be road killed 'possum 'n greens? ;)

"Thet 'possum ain't burned chile, it's tire sauce" ;)

Joe (SoCal)
11-26-2002, 08:24 PM
Mike thought about ya the other day I was in Sam's Club ( one of those big warehouse stores) and they had a propane turkey frying tub I was sure that's the way you would do yer bird. I think I'm gonna try that next year I hear its the best way to do it. This year we GO to family and all I got to bring is a couple of pies. OOH yea let someone else cook the bird prep for 5 days clean up and all I got to do id eat drink and zonk out on the couch watching It's a Wonderful Life.

Hughman
11-26-2002, 08:26 PM
Commercial turkey makes everyone here sick. Took me years to figure out why turkey dinners do what they do. must be lysteria, or something related.

On another note, wild turkeys are so plentiful in coastal Maine they have become a road hazard. I'd rather hit a deer, there's more meat in 'em. :eek:

Memphis Mike
11-26-2002, 08:33 PM
They say deep fried is good Joe but ya
gotta have about 3 gallons of peanut
oil ta do it with. :eek: I've never eaten it that
way but I bet Roger has. It's a Cajun thing.

[ 11-26-2002, 09:34 PM: Message edited by: Memphis Mike ]

brian.cunningham
11-27-2002, 05:35 PM
Stuffed and roasted in the oven.
Did it myself one year! smile.gif

Gobble, gobble
HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!!

Alan Peck
11-27-2002, 07:14 PM
or was it Les Nesman?

Peter Kalshoven
11-28-2002, 09:55 AM
Alan, Les did the play by play, mimicing the famous Hindenburg line (Oh, the humanity!). Carlson said his famous line after returning to the station, trying to explain why he threw live turkeys out of a helecopter at a shopping mall parking lot as a WKRP promotional event. This episode ranks as one of the best, funniest TV moments I have ever seen, and the show was one of my all-time favorites. So, Happy Thanksgiving, everyone, and to repeat, As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly!!! :D :D

Pete

Ian G Wright
11-28-2002, 02:25 PM
Just ordered our Christmas turkey, and I wondered if you lot on the left have to eat turkey twice a year? If so, how do you stand it, two months on the trot?
Those Americans Eh? A strange and exotic people,,,,

IanW

Hugh Paterson
11-28-2002, 05:00 PM
Save a turkey this Christmas, eat a steak and kidney pie instead :D I must be missing somthing, but I would rather munch a big juicy steak. Never had much success with the burdzs :confused:
Shug.

Roger Stouff
11-28-2002, 05:06 PM
Fried turkey is awesome. Retains a lot of juciness. We had baked ham, my mom insisted on cooking, and she doesn't do turkey because my dad hated it, and thus we never had it for dinner. The ham was fantastic!

Memphis Mike
11-28-2002, 05:10 PM
I'm full as a tick.

ishmael
11-28-2002, 05:10 PM
I wuz interested to hear that turkey is de jour on Christmas in England. I guess we do that here too. Been out of the ritual loop for a number of years.

Is it a turkey Scrooge takes to the Cratchets (sp) on Christmas? I guess it is.

Dunno why. It's a damn hard piece of poultry flesh to cook well! And unless it's cooked well it really is terrible. And who knows how to cook it well?

Gary Bergman
11-28-2002, 05:47 PM
:rolleyes: Man, we are stuffed. The Cafe Trieste, known for coffee and beat poets, puts up a turkey dinner since it sits between two marinas and we are short on ovens. Man, can you eat when you don't cook or cleanup. :rolleyes:

Ian G Wright
11-29-2002, 03:01 AM
Originally posted by ishmael:
. And who knows how to cook it well?I do,,,,,,,
My mother never found out how, so my early years were blighted by bone dry flavourless Christmas dinners.
Disect out the wishbone.Chestnut stuffing in the neck cavity and under the breast meat.
Cover the visible parts of the bird with belly bacon, parcel with foil or use a roasting bag.
Cook for 15mins per pound of bird and stuffing.
Open the foil/bag for the last half hour to brown the skin.
I'd rather have a goose by Sheila is bound by tradition. I told her that Geese are British and Turkey is a nasty American import like Hamburger but there you go.

IanW.