PDA

View Full Version : San Francisco bound

George Jung
09-18-2005, 10:48 AM
The end of this month I'll be in San Francisco for several days, and would love any suggestions for 'what to do when you're not in a meeting'. Any nautical sights/sites/museums; where to see the (wooden, of course) boats; kayaks would be a treat, as well. I'm open to any other suggestions, things to do. Thanks.

Phillip Allen
09-18-2005, 10:53 AM
The warf of course...I would go visit the Pintanado again (it's an old fleet boat veteran of the Pacific war...) Remember it's a boat and a submarine and as such it has a sail...

LeeG
09-18-2005, 12:30 PM
rent a kayak at SeaTrek and head over the Angel Island.

Victor
09-18-2005, 01:42 PM
Good idea, Lee. Some more: on the east side of the Richmond Bridge there's a collection of railroad stock donated to a restoration club. Some very interesting specimens unique to California, such as a locomotive with an external drive gear on each wheel. Didn't go much over 30 mph but had massive torque. Also check out the Liberty Ship if it's still there.

First exit on the Marin side of the GG Bridge, head up the old military road. That's where the photos of SF are taken. Down the other side is a pristine beach, on which you can imagine you're 100 miles from a city. Lotsa fun on a bike, since it's one-way downhill. That's also where the Marine Mammal Protection Agency is, where they nurse injured seals.

[ 09-19-2005, 07:07 PM: Message edited by: Victor ]

paladin
09-18-2005, 01:48 PM
Alioto's izz easy to find...dunno go there....about three blocks down on the same side of the street is a (relatively) new Chart House....good food...go across the street and turn around...look up at the Giardelli sign....behind it is a chinese rest...best original type chinese food in town....go to Berkely...Takara wine factory (sake)....best plum wine in U.s........

George Jung
09-18-2005, 02:04 PM
:D :D :D The bilge at its' best. I'm contacting Sea Trek; thanks, LeeG; Victor, and Mr. Allen, I'm writing this all down. Thanks.
And Paladin, thanks for the recommendations on the restaurants. Thanks all.

Dave Fleming
09-18-2005, 02:09 PM
National Maritime Museum at the foot of Hyde Street along with the White Building a bit to the west which houses some pretty interesting exhibits.

Dunno if that train is still running over in Richmond/Hercules by the Richmond to Marin bridge.
China Camp State Park in Marin north of Sausalito.
Has a newly built replica of one of the old shrimp trawlers that worked the bay in times gone by.

Sausalito....ech. Very congested and touristy.
Arques Wooden Boat School has some visitor times.
Check their web site for details.
If the Model Yacht boathouse is open in Golden Gate Park it is very interesting. The park people drained the model pond not too long ago and found some sunken models that may have been on the bottom for 50 or more years. Last I heard was that some were to be restored.

Food I am no good on as I have not eaten in SF in a long time.

The whole Fisherman's Wharf thing is strictly for tourists including the collection of Monterey types moored in the inner basin.

Over in the East Bay in the *Bezerkeley* area there are spots that remind one of the hippy dippy days complete with gals with long skirts and Birkenstocks.

Most of us old timers with memories of how the SF/Sausalito/Berkeley waterfront used to be, have seen the changes, sigh.

George Jung
09-18-2005, 02:14 PM
I hear ya, Mr. Fleming. (Un)fortunately, I've not been to SF before, nothing to compare it to. Kind of a goodnews/badnews I guess. Thanks for the recommendations.

Sue H.
09-18-2005, 02:56 PM
I lived there for 6 years in the 70's, but everything is different now. Plus, Mike was still far into my future, so I had no interest in Woodenboats at the time. redface.gif

George, no matter where you go, it's such a great city, you can't go too far wrong. Dave's probably right about Sausalito, although I still love it. But the ferry boat ride over to Marin County is still one of my favorite parts of being there. Have a great time, and pleeeese take some digitals to share with us!

George Jung
09-18-2005, 03:06 PM
Thanks, Sue; digitals will be taken; posting them may be another story.... :D
My wife gets the run of the city while we're there; I have to go to some meetings :( but may play hookey (sp?); at least I'll get the evenings...
Keep those ideers acoming, folks. If this crowd doesn't know about it, it's probably not worth knowing. And I know you'll have info the guidebooks won't... :D

Sue H.
09-18-2005, 04:01 PM
George, here's a link to the Chamber of Commerce:

http://www.sfchamber.dpway.com/sfchamber/places_to_go.htm

It might at least give you an overview of the area and possiblities, depending upon you and your wife's tastes.

The last time I was out, they had added the Caltrain to their rapid transit options. When I lived out there, BART was brand new and top of the line. Now, Caltrain is the latest and the greatest. I loved it!

The closest thing to rapid transit that Memphis has is a fleet of broken down city buses, so Caltrain really got me excited! smile.gif It's a double decker train, and fast, so you can go down the Peninsula and explore, too, if you have time.

I'm so envious! Have fun.

George Jung
09-18-2005, 04:13 PM
Thanks for that link, Sue; much appreciated. I expect we'll figure it out after we're there, but is caltrain a good way to run around frisco? Do you pay as you go (ala a bus) or are there passes to buy?
I love this part of the 'trip' - the planning, the anticipation. Oftentimes it's almost as much fun as the trip itself - I can't wait! :D

edit: too fast with the questions; looks like your link covers it all. Thanks!

[ 09-18-2005, 05:27 PM: Message edited by: George Jung ]

Victor
09-18-2005, 04:32 PM
Check out Drake's Bay if you have a car. He wrecked there thinking he was sailing into the Golden Gate.

Dave Fleming
09-18-2005, 04:47 PM
Geeze if ya go all the way up there ya might as well drop into some of the 'eyrster' bars on Tomales Bay. Then swing back east to Marin Cheese Factory and then on to Sonoma for some more wine and bread.
While you are there in Sonoma you can see if my redwood benches are still outside the Sonoma Cheese Factory. ;)

LeeG
09-18-2005, 06:11 PM
George, where will you be staying? the recommendation for Seat Trek is on the assumption you know what you're doing,,the water is wet-suit cold, not sure if they require them or rent them.

this looks like a useful guide,,Cole neighborhood, Noe valley, the mission are all decent for walking to breakfast, you really HAVE to do a couple things,,,drive down to the fort on the south side of the GG bridge,,or the North side,,either way if you don't have the time to walk across you have to get those underneath vistas,, . Forget Fishermans wharf compared to those views...
http://www.sfgate.com/traveler/guide/sf/neighborhoods/

[ 09-18-2005, 07:19 PM: Message edited by: LeeG ]

joejapan
09-18-2005, 06:17 PM
George, if you're gonna' be there on a Sunday morning, you've just gotta' take your wife to the Hilton downtown and go up to the Cityscape Restaurant for Sunday brunch. It's not only the best brunch I'd been to in years, but the absolute best views of the city you can find, anywhere. Even on foggy days it's a real treat to look out over the city.

They have anything you want;I mean, they have everythig you'd want to eat....even champagne, caviar, crab claws, shrimp,Chinese, Vietnamese,...yeah I know it's a breakfast buffet, but they've still got all this fabulous stuff ! Best part is, it's not warmed over !

After a while, a pretty good jazz quartet shows up and you have live jazz while you're eating.

But, the views are absolutely fantastic !

Right near downtown is Anju Seafood Tapas Bar which is one of those little "out-of-the-way" places that you'll be damned glad you found.
They have the best paella I've eaten since I left Spain, and that's saying something. Dinner
there is a real treat and you don't have to dress up, it's a comfortable little place.

If the weather is nice, go over to Dolores Park about 1 p.m. and the San Francisco Mime Troupe usually does a play in the park. They also have Shakespeare in the Park but you'd have to look up their schedule.

If, for some reason, y'all run into any trouble while you're there, my old law school classmate is a judge there, and one of my former co-workers is in police administration. Anything short of a felony and you'd probably be o.k. !

Hope y'all have a great time !

LeeG
09-18-2005, 06:24 PM
barely related

http://www.sfgate.com/northcoast/

xxxx

if you think you'll go out to the end of GG. Park you can swing up through to the Legion of Honor Art Museum in the Presidio,,,head down to the south tower of the GG bridge,,zoom through the marina district to the next stop I'll get around to mentioning,,,oh yeah ,,the museums in the GG park are under construction, I think,,but the Japanese tea garden is a worthwhile stop after having breakfast up in Cole Valley before you drive to the beach and up to the legion of honor...,,it's not that the museum is so spectacular,,it's good,,but it's the Cypress trees and views that are worth it.

http://www.legionofhonor.org/legion/index.asp

xxxxx
stuff happens here,,art and stuff,,you can walk from the maritime museum around the point to Ft.Mason,,check their calendar.
http://www.fortmason.org/directions/index.shtml

xxx,,

ok, check your calendar,,if you're around for the last Wed of the month, are single, hungry, and have minimal social skills you should be able to get a date by the end of the evening..
ok, that's not quite right,,but if you want an alternative to the bar scene and would like to talk to some interesting people this is could be more fun than other possibilities.
http://www.bask.org/frame.html
click on FAQ

Q: I'm not a member of BASK. Can I come to a BASK meeting to see what kind of people are in this club before I join?
A: Certainly! You don't need to be a BASK member to attend our Monthly Meetings. These informal events are usually held on the last Wednesday of the month from 6:30pm to 9:30pm, when we meet to socialize and exchange information in a relaxed atmosphere. The meetings begin with refreshments followed by news of upcoming trips and events, trip reports, announcements and a safety talk. Each meeting has a feature presentation by a guest speaker often with a video or slide show. The location of our monthly meeting is the UCSF Medical Center, 513 Parnassus Avenue, San Francisco, in the Health Sciences West Building, room 301 (or 303). For directions and map, click here.

[ 09-18-2005, 08:05 PM: Message edited by: LeeG ]

LeeG
09-18-2005, 07:34 PM
if this is the same shop it's a fun diversion..

http://www.americancyclery.com/

LeeG
09-18-2005, 07:46 PM
GG park, renta bike on Sunday morning,,everyone's at church so it'll be quiet,,ok maybe not but do it anyway,

http://www.sfgate.com/traveler/guide/sf/neighborhoods/ggpark.shtml

[ 09-18-2005, 08:47 PM: Message edited by: LeeG ]

LeeG
09-18-2005, 07:56 PM
if you drink beer there's no excuse for not making this possible,,they only do one tour a week and who knows if there's room when you're there,,but it's worth it. Call now..no not tomorrow,,now,, shallow swimming pool sized brewing pools,,buy a bottle from the liquor store then try what they serve,,it's like getting bread from the bakery or next day. For beer drinkers it's a holy place.

http://www.anchorbrewing.com/about_us/tourinfo.htm

LeeG
09-18-2005, 07:59 PM
if you need a place to rest your feet and see a movie the Castro Theater is a classic ,,,the neighborhood as well.

http://www.thecastrotheatre.com/

George Jung
09-18-2005, 09:30 PM
Sorry I haven't responded earlier - they've been making me work....
and after LeeGs' responses' I'm experiencing a little sensory overload :D . I'm just now starting to sort through all this information. This is great! Any of you ever consider going into the travel business? :D
JoeJapan, I'll need names and a get out of jail free card, if you have one to spare.
Oh yeah, I gathered, after checking that yakking site, that perhaps the Bay crossing was out of reach. I plan on dropping in and seeing what's available; even that will be a lot of fun for me. Again, appreciate the input, everyone.

Mrleft8
09-18-2005, 09:59 PM
Depending on your schedule...... My biggest and bestest recomendation would be.... (Do you like wine or good beer?) Head the hell out of the city and head north up through Marin, Napa, Sonoma counties.... Destination, Mendocino. Visit The College of the Redwoods Fine Woodworking studio.... Stay at one of the fine establishments in Mendo, or a motel in Ft. Bragg. Visit Noyo harbor in Ft. Bragg. If you should pass through (on rte. 139 I think) Philo.... Look for "Christine Woods" vinyard. Bar none the best Pinot Noir in the world..... Whale festival in Mendo might be just about now too..... ( I used to live there....It's not as bad as it looks in the movies ;) )

[ 09-18-2005, 11:01 PM: Message edited by: Mrleft8 ]

LeeG
09-19-2005, 07:37 AM
George, not sure of your desires re. paddling but taking an intermediate class or private lesson from SeaTrek might be an idea as it would put you into the water with people who know it and solve a lot of safety issues. A very safe and fun paddle is across Richardson Bay around the pt. at Belvedere,,you won't have to cross the channel between Angel Island and it's fun to look at the mansions on around the point. Depending on the current there's some riffles to play in at the point.

LeeG
09-19-2005, 07:39 AM
the tourist tour of Alcatraz Island is worth it,,take the night tour at sunset. Bring a coat.

LeeG
09-19-2005, 07:44 AM
stairways interest you?

http://www.sisterbetty.org/stairways/

LeeG
09-19-2005, 07:54 AM
ok,,get the rental car,,drive to one of the streets between Gough and Divisadero on the top of the hill facing north,,Laguna St? Fillmore?,,,tell your passengers to close their eyes before the intersection,,,then tellthem to open them as you cross the intersection and SCREAAM AHHAHAHAHAAHHHHH!.

http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?addr=&csz=San+Francisco%2C+CA&state=CA&uzip=94103&ds=n&name=&desc=&lat=37.7742&lon=-12 2.417068&mlt=37.7742&mln=-122.417068&zoomin=yes&BFKey=&resize=l&trf=0&mag=2

Keith Wilson
09-19-2005, 08:39 AM
If you do drive north to Tomales Bay (it's not very far, really) you HAVE to eat barbecued oysters at Tony's. It's on Highway 1, built on pilings out over the east side of Tomales Bay, and you can watch the fishing boats at anchor as you eat. Heart's Desire beach on the other side of the bay is delightful, and there are a fair number of interesting places to walk around Point Reyes Park.

If you're interested in time travel, Telegraph Avenue in Berkeley on a Saturday afternoon will transport you back to 1969 (with the added benefit of no tear gas). People's Park (remember that?) is better observed from a distance, though - at least when I lived there, some of its regulars were not folks you'd want to meet. If you go to Berkeley and like Indian food, Ajanta restaurant on the uphill end of Solano Avenue is probably the best restaurant I've ever been to in my life.

John of Phoenix
09-19-2005, 11:22 AM
Barbecued oysters? That's the kinda stuff that gives oysters a bad name. :D

LeeG
09-19-2005, 11:32 AM
if you are in North Berkeleley continue walking up Solano Ave. past the restaurants and follow the steps to Indian Rock. Sit.

http://www.historicberkeley.com/NIndr.htm

Keith Wilson
09-19-2005, 11:50 AM
Barbecued oysters? That's the kinda stuff that gives oysters a bad name. You've obviously never been to Tony's. They're on the shell, cooked over an open fire, with a little sauce and enough garlic to make you sit up and take notice. Food of the Gods.

LeeG
09-19-2005, 12:15 PM
http://www.mtbwest.com/tomalesbay-01.html

LeeG
09-19-2005, 01:57 PM
http://www.kabukisprings.com/

after flying over Laguna

Bob Cleek
09-19-2005, 04:15 PM
Skip the Castro Theater... I hear the seats are kinda sticky.

brad9798
09-19-2005, 04:42 PM
Stay in a B&B in the Haight-Ashbury district ... we enjoy that once a year ... usually in October!

October is a GREAT month to visit SF!

LeeG
09-19-2005, 05:40 PM
Bob,,then bring a napkin next time.

George Jung
10-03-2005, 07:07 PM
Just a thank you to the good folks who offered their insights on San Francisco. We had a great time, though didn't get to half the places I'd like to visit. Unfortunately, this was a 'business' trip, the American Academy of Family Practice national meeting, and I spent most of each day attending presentations. That did leave the evenings, however, and we tried to make the most of it! Had some wonderful meals in North Beach and China town (just watched for Italians and Chinese coming out of the busiest restaurants - respectively, of course), as well as around Pier 39 and the surrounding area. Tried to find that restaurant Paladin mentioned - not sure which, there were several in that area, but suspect that area changes rapidly. Went to the Maritime museum, explored the docks. After viewing the conditions out to Angel Island, I took a raincheck on kayaking... :D time to work on recovery techniques. We were impressed by the museums, and also the private galleries. Lotsa galleries, impressive collections from big name artists. Really liked some of the Chagalls we saw; also a fair amount of Renoirs, Rembrandt, Picasso. Our last evening, had the opportunity to hear the San Fran Symphony perform. Very impressive, and a great way to end our trip. Thanks for all your suggestions.

Mrleft8
10-03-2005, 09:10 PM
Glad ou had a good time! It's not a bad place as far as cities go.... You coulda been in Bridgeport.... ;)

LeeG
10-04-2005, 06:57 AM
good to hear,,damn,,I forgot to mention a comedy club near that area.