PDA

View Full Version : Internet Disconnect

Norske3
06-08-2005, 01:50 PM
I frequently get shut down even though I am actively surfing...still my ISP tells me I'm pausing ....to long.
I have the slow 56k tele modem....whats my problem?...just poor telephone lines?...overloaded maybe in my area.

Wayne Jeffers
06-08-2005, 02:03 PM
I went through a period of that back when I had dial-up.

I called my ISP's "help line" and they walked me through changing some settings in the connection software. That fixed the problem.

If you've talked to your ISP's help desk and they say you're pausing too long, I would change to an ISP that doesn't have such a short time-out.

Wayne

Bruce Hooke
06-08-2005, 02:05 PM
Do you get some sort of a message asking if you want to stay logged on? Whenever I've been disconnected from an ISP because I paused too long there has been some sort of warning -- I was not simply dropped. I would get back to your ISP and ask if you should be seeing some sort of message before they disconnect you for staying idle for too long. I suspect you should and I suspect that will force them to come up with a better answer. If they drop you with no warning it certainly would be worth making a stink because that is pretty rude on their part.

Do you know what sort of connection speed you typically actually achieve? That should tell you something about whether there are problems with your phone line.

Victor
06-08-2005, 05:21 PM
56ks are very touchy about dirty lines. You might be able to run it slower and get more reliability.

Norske3
06-10-2005, 06:05 AM
Thanks for tips.