Wanna save money on your hot water bill?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jack Heinlen
    Banned
    • Sep 2002

Wanna save money on your hot water bill?

I just installed a low-flow shower head. I had one before just like it is how I knew to do it again.

It's great. For a third the water you get a really good shower. Resources Conservation Inc., Stamford Conn. is the company, and I can't remember the trade name at Walmart. Five bucks. Solid brass, chromed. It's a little cone shaped frabitz.
  • Bruce Hooke
    • Mar 2000

And turn down the water temperature on your hot water heater. My heater is much bigger than I really need so I keep the heater temperature set low enough that I can often use just the hot water, with no cold, for things like doing dishes.

Comment

• Popeye
      speedo
      • Jun 2003

and wrap on some extra insulation to your tanks and pipes.

Comment

• Shang
        • Sep 2000

Shower with someone you love.

Comment

• Chris Coose
          • Sep 2001

Heat the water with gas (propane if you got it) rather than electric.
          And/Or put a termpering coil in your wood stove that delivers to your hot water tank.

That will throw your insurers for a loop.
          Study Peace

Comment

• Popeye
            speedo
            • Jun 2003

Shower with someone you love

it gets a little crowded with grandma aboard.

[ 10-08-2003, 10:27 AM: Message edited by: popeye ]

Comment

• JimH
              • Jan 2001

Buy and install an insulating jacket for your water heater and you can reduce your gas or electric bill.

Comment

• ahp
                • Jan 2001

I went the low-flow route some years ago, but had to give it up. Wife wants to stand under a warm waterfall. What can you do?

Comment

• glowell222
                  • Apr 2002

The real answer is: get rid of your hot water tank. Install an on-demand water heater. Few things waste more energy and space than a hot water tank.
                  Berryville, VA: A quaint little drinking community with a farming problem.

Comment

• EKrueger
                    • Dec 2000

I would rather have a good shower than save money on my water bill. In my mind, a hot shower with good water pressure is one of the simple joys of life.

I bought a showerhead built by Speakman. I think this is one of the only models that you can remove the flow restrictor. The pressure is outstanding. I love it.

As for saving money on the heating bill, natural gas and insulation.

Eric

Comment

• Shang
                      • Sep 2000

"...Wife wants to stand under a warm waterfall. What can you do?"

Like I said above,
                      join her.

Comment

• Jack Heinlen
                        Banned
                        • Sep 2002

Eric,

I don't own any stock in this company.

I think you misunderstood, this shower head gives better pressure than anything I've ever had. It works by taking the water and forcing it through well machined small holes, in a particular arrangement. I like the shower I get much better than from the one I replaced. It's a really strong, fine spray, just less water.

Whatever. I'm always on the lookout to save money and energy. This will save me probably forty or fifty bucks over the next year. But the way I look at it, that's two sushi dinners. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

• EKrueger
                          • Dec 2000

Jack,

Two sushi dinners just might be worth it. Though I've had times when I would give my eye teeth for a nice hot shower.

It's just that I've never had a low flow showerhead that didn't feel like a low flow showerhead. If a good one exists, I'd be willing to try it (in the kid's bathroom).

I don't own any stock in the company I mentioned, but maybe I should. I buy a new one any time I move.

Comment

• John Most
                            • Jan 2003

Ive been taking the standard " navy shower" since i was ship board. I dont need a low flow head.

Comment

• Sailortect
                              Gluten Enthusiast
                              • Dec 2001

Originally posted by Garrett Lowell:
                              The real answer is: get rid of your hot water tank. Install an on-demand water heater. Few things waste more energy and space than a hot water tank.
                              Damn right.

Also, in new installations, this can really reduce the amount of plumbing work. Copper pipe ain't getting any cheaper.

Though not really "new technology", these units have been very slow to catch on here in the northeast. They have a "only when you can't do it right with a real water heater" stigma that's been tough to shake. The grapevine tells me that other reigons are embracing them more readily, but you know that grapevine......
                              People today will buy a car with square wheels as long as the steering wheel is heated.

Comment

Working...