View Full Version : This is it! Dreams and other musings

Jack Heinlen
05-06-2005, 10:58 AM
The other night, feeling a bit blue about the way of my life's maunderings, I had a dream. In it I was in a church. It was just a church, non-denominational, yet substantial. Its windows needed repair. It was maybe half full of the faithful. I had a young and lively Sheba the dog in my lap. The congregation all adored her, said good dog, over and over. There was no preacher, we were on our own.

Jung says, quite rightly in my experience, that dreams are compensatory; they tell a story the waking mind ignores or rejects.

In my waking life I was full of despair: I can't go on with this seeming life, it makes no sense what I do. The dream came and said hang in there brother, things aren't as bad as you think. In fact, in your despair you are at worship with the fullest and most faithful companion you can imagine. And the congregation approves. This is it. Worship well.

[ 05-06-2005, 12:02 PM: Message edited by: Jack Heinlen ]

05-06-2005, 11:02 AM
Jack are you ok? Hope so.

I don't get to have to many of those kinds of dreams (the unkown dreams). I seem to always be able to pinpoint the collection of things that happened in my waking day that crept into my sleeping mind.

km gresham
05-06-2005, 11:11 AM
Dreams are screensavers for the brain. smile.gif

Jack Heinlen
05-06-2005, 11:17 AM
Not an untypical attitude, Karen.

I'll bet you have some strong ones. Pass them by, it's your soul.

05-06-2005, 11:19 AM
Heres a good example:

Last weekend while out on a hike with my fiance a little feild mouse came running down the trail at us. He was a youngster and as he got to us, instead of running away, he seemed to run towards us, trying to get under our feet. It was cute.

Last night Becky threw her hair band at me as we were getting into bed and when I felt it on my back I thougth it was a spider or something. Then we found a real bug on the window sill right by her side of the bed (instant karma I think). I had a flash of the mouse in my mind for some reason as I saw the beetle siting there looking at me.

Then as I slept, I dreamt about being at a freinds house, we were sleeping on the floor. We heard some noises, there was a rat, a big rat and he was coming right at me, seeming to want to hide under my shadow or something. There was more to the whole dream but that was the foundation. It was obviously about the mouse from earlier in the week but it wasn't until the bug thing days later that it became a part of my unconcious for whatever reason. Anyway thats usually how it is. Theres always a trigger (and they usually make no sense).

[ 05-06-2005, 12:27 PM: Message edited by: dmede ]

05-06-2005, 11:25 AM
One kook over the floofloo's nest ;)

Jack Heinlen
05-06-2005, 11:43 AM
Like all dreams, an offering at the temple. I don't think Meerkat will get there this time around, but it's not my place to say for sure.

Far be it from me to interpret dreams other than my own, but what is the rat, the mouse, in this relationship? Because a dream uses a happening in waking life doesn't mean it's not a valuable metaphor. My church came out of nowhere, sort of.

In order to find the meaning in the poetry one has to sit with the images, do what Jung called associate. Sit, with a piece of paper and pencil, and write about the mouse. Basically, YOU have to know what that rodent meant. No one else can.

05-06-2005, 11:50 AM
oh, no. I totally agree, there is a web of deeper connections. It's sometimes fun to see how far back you can go (or how many triggers you can find for what your dreaming).

For me personally I find that only my most vivid dreams are the ones where I'm trying to tell myself soemthing. Though I don't think of it like that. Its usually just that I'm chewing on something internally (stress or excitment).

No idea why the mouse became a rat in my dream (both rodents?). I find that I will often recognize an object or person in my dreams as someone or something I knoeweven when they don't really look like them. I saw a rat but I knew it was the mouse. I dunno.

Jack Heinlen
05-06-2005, 12:00 PM

Okay, out on a limb. A rodent, a rat or mouse, is gnawing away at sumpthin' Find it, kill it. Rodents, as much as I like them in some ways, are meant for killing in human dwellings. Maybe a penny and a half, maybe more.

Are you convinced about this forthcoming marraige? I have no idea, and wish you the best of luck with it. The concatenation of events is interesting.

[ 05-06-2005, 01:01 PM: Message edited by: Jack Heinlen ]

Larry P.
05-06-2005, 12:48 PM
This is for Ishmael, not Jack. I am getting concerned;

Call me Ishmael. Some years ago -- never mind how long precisely -- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world. It is a way I have of driving off the spleen, and regulating the circulation. Whenever I find myself growing grim about the mouth; whenever it is a damp, drizzly November in my soul; whenever I find myself involuntarily pausing before coffin warehouses, and bringing up the rear of every funeral I meet; and especially whenever my hypos get such an upper hand of me, that it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off -- then, I account it high time to get to sea as soon as I can. This is my substitute for pistol and ball. With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the ship. There is nothing surprising in this. If they but knew it, almost all men in their degree, some time or other, cherish very nearly the same feelings towards the ocean with me Ish its time the sooner the beter

Jack Heinlen
05-06-2005, 12:57 PM
Thanks for your concern Larry. I'm pretty resilient.

I've stood at the desk where those words were penned. It looks out a window on the Berkshires. Some say the mountains were an inspiration for the hump of the whale. Me, I think he saw the whale and needed no mountain.

[ 05-06-2005, 02:02 PM: Message edited by: Jack Heinlen ]