PDA

View Full Version : Gator photos

cs
10-28-2004, 09:23 AM
Some of you may have heard about the gator that was recently killed in Florida. If I understand it correctly, my wife works with friends of people that killed the gator. Here are some photos.

http://a5.cpimg.com/image/CF/1F/41307855-cd97-02000180-.jpg

http://a7.cpimg.com/image/D1/1F/41307857-4f98-02000180-.jpg

Chad

Dale R. Hamilton
10-28-2004, 09:52 AM
so what was that- a deer or a dog? Guess gators gotta eat too.

bamamick
10-28-2004, 10:04 AM
I think that it's a deer. And, yeah, they've got to eat. Down here they have pretty much eliminated the nutria rat population. Fine, who cares about nutria rats anyway, right? But they have also worked hard on the duck population (although to be fair, I understand that bass are pretty rough on the hatchlings as well), and most of us like to see ducks around.

There are a lot of the dang things. More than at any time in my lifetime. I am glad that they are not aggresive animals, but their habitat is getting crowded and bad things could happen. I see gators like the one in the picture just about every day.

Mickey Lake

Phillip Allen
10-28-2004, 10:05 AM
Looks like a deer...those Florida deer are pretty small, porlly about the size of a large dog...70-80 pounds.

Phillip Allen
10-28-2004, 10:08 AM
drifting down the Caloosahatchee in a friends 36 we snuk up on one after another...they sure got excided when they discovered they weren't alone.

John Bell
10-28-2004, 10:38 AM
Actually taken near Harris Neck NWR, in coastal Georgia.

http://southeast.fws.gov/news/2004/r04-073.html

Alligator Takes Deer to Lunch in South Georgia

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
August 23, 2004

Contacts:
Tom MacKenzie, (404) 679-7291, cell: (678) 296-6400

The sight of a 12 to 14 foot-long alligator is something south Georgia folks see occasionally, but few have seen one take an adult deer out to lunch. Actually -- for lunch.

The photographs of this deer-eating alligator were taken from the air by Terri Jenkins, a U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service District Fire Management Officer. She was preparing to ignite a prescribed fire at Harris Neck National Wildlife Refuge, about 40 miles south of Savannah, Georgia, on March 4, 2004. The photo has

“One advantage of fire work is you get to see that 12-14 footers are common from Santee National Wildlife Refuge in South Carolina to Coastal South Carolina to Georgia’s coast,” said Jenkins. “It looks like the alligator population is doing extremely well.”

This one was at least 12-13 feet long. Jenkins said that some bull alligators have a 35 inch girth.

The Service uses a helicopter capable of igniting controlled burns by dropping flaming fuel-filled ping pong balls on pre-selected areas. She works throughout parts of North Carolina, South Carolina and Coastal Georgia refuges and fish hatcheries. The Service uses prescribed fire to improve habitat and reduce the risk of catastrophic wildfires.

If you’re a deer hunter, the refuge hosts an archery hunt on September 15-17, 2004 and a gun hunt November 19, 2004 (only 150 permits will be issued). For more information, and to obtain an application, visit: http://harrisneck.fws.gov/. Applications must be received by August 31, 2004 at Savannah Coastal Refuges, 1000 Business Center Drive, Parkway Business Center, Suite 10, Savannah, Georgia, 31405.

The alligator will not be charged with hunting deer out of season, animal cruelty, or any one of several possible water quality violations. He may, however, be charged with being one mean gator. If we could catch him... Or wanted to...

George.
10-29-2004, 04:15 AM
IN a lake on the Araguaia river, near where we have a monitoring station, we regularly see a black caiman that is close to six meters long - as estimated when swimming next to our six meter dugout canoe.

That's close to 20 feet. It is BIG!

ahp
10-29-2004, 08:55 AM
Wouldn't be nice if all gators were converted into shoes, handbags and belts, every last one of them.

I think of all those lakes in Florida and no one swims in them.

George.
10-29-2004, 10:20 AM
Yes, and if all bears were converted into rugs - all those Western and Alaskan parks where it is dangerous to hike...

And get rid of all the sharks, too.

And all the snakes...

And all the wolves, and spiders, and jaguars, and jellyfish - why don't we just pave over the whole world, and chlorinate all the rivers! That'll make it safe for suburbanites to "have fun!"

NormMessinger
10-29-2004, 01:35 PM
You didn't mention neocons George. Start there and that should be sufficient.

ahp
10-29-2004, 03:47 PM
George, now you are getting it!

ion barnes
10-30-2004, 12:01 AM
Speaking of sharks, what happened to that Great White that swam into the shallows on the East coast?