PDA

View Full Version : Pearl Harbor

brad9798
10-21-2004, 12:55 PM
I'm not an expert, but I just got off the phone with my dad, who's in Hawaii as I type.

Was on the memorial over the Arizona, and touring the Missouri, etc.

He was telling me about oil STILL leaking from ship.

With all the environmental 'concerns' :rolleyes: why would that not have been encapsulated, or SOMETHING????

I don't get it! :confused:

Meerkat
10-21-2004, 01:02 PM
Arizona had nearly full bunkers when she went down and the oil continues to dribble to the surface. The bunker have not been sealed for at least 1, and possibly 2 reasons: the Arizona is a grave site and the bunkers may be so shattered that encapsulation is not feasible. I believe there is a permanent abatement program in place and I seem to recall reading about an effort to drain the bunkers, but that too may have been decided against due to the sanctity of the site.

DavesFlatsBoat
10-21-2004, 01:09 PM
A drop of bunker oil reaches the surface every 90 seconds or so as if the Arizona and her crew are still bleeding. The suns and wave action work their magic and the environmental damage is minimal if any.

Please visit, it is worth your time.

Phillip Allen
10-21-2004, 01:47 PM
Does anyone have ANY idea just how many ships with oil in them are lying on the bottom??? Jutland, Scappaflow, Guadal Canal, Truk, Bikini, and on and on. I don't know if I spelled those names right but you must get the point. Pearl Harbor is as nearly empty of ship bones as Truk lagoon is full...to complain about Pearl is the "mote" in your neighbors eye...(deal with the beam in your own first.).

brad9798
10-21-2004, 03:25 PM
Folks, you misread me ... (Phillip Allen)

Nowhere am I saying that we should do something ... I just can't believe, sanctity or not, that no bleeding heart tree hugging BS'ers have raised hell about it ... no more, no less.

Phillip Allen
10-21-2004, 08:09 PM
Sorry Brad, I've been reading so many posts from reactionaries that I've become one :(

George Jung
10-21-2004, 08:33 PM
Sorry, had to laugh at this one;

Reminds of that Pogo comic strip: "We has met the enemy, and they is Us!"

seafox
10-22-2004, 12:06 AM
it was stated above than the sun and waves work their magic but I will restate it as a scientest

oil is a organtic compound and is digested by bacteria freeing nutriants that feed the food chain. unless the amount is overwelming nature takes care of it.

two examples their was a pipeline break in wyoming that covered about three acres of a river bottom meadow a few years back. that year it killedthe grass a couple of years latter you can still see where the spill was its where the grass is twice as tall as the rest of the riverbottom.

also the la brea tar pits have vegitation growing right up to the edge of the tar.
jeffery