PDA

View Full Version : double sawn bed

centroid
08-26-2003, 08:46 AM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid76/pc170dfd44d1620efa824da21520a5958/fb469556.jpg.orig.jpg

its not a boat but i'm trying out some the double sawn techniques for the boat frames on the bed. for my lyle hess cutter (24') i was thinking about doing double sawn frames but i've never done it before. so i made a bed with the head board. i tried to follow all the step from making a template for the curves to copper rivets.
i'm quite happy with the results ! the bed is african ribbon mahogany. the boat frames....not sure yet. thinking about black locust but i heard its so difficult to work with and its harder to find.

Chadd Hamilton
08-26-2003, 01:43 PM
Very cool...I like it!

Venchka
08-26-2003, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by centroid:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid76/pc170dfd44d1620efa824da21520a5958/fb469556.jpg

...thinking about black locust but i heard its so difficult to work with and its harder to find.Finding black locust isn't a problem. I found lots of it. Finding it a reasonable distance from the boat building site...well now, there's the rub. If you buy a large quantity the shipping may not be too bad. As for it's working qualities, I don't know for sure. A lot of it finds it's way into boats. I doubt that it is any more difficult to work than any similar woods with equal density and hardness. The finished product sure is nice.

Nice work on the bed.

Did you sort out the building dimensions?

centroid
08-26-2003, 02:54 PM
“Did you sort out the building dimensions?”

you mean my door issue for bringing the boat out after its built ? sort of…. I bought a house which I will close the end of sept. there is a two car garage that I would like to squeeze a boat in there some where. Its not big enough by preference but I will have to make it work. I’ll try to modify the door to have 11’ clear for the boat to exit.

I saw a local boat owner that has a 28’ bristol channel cutter with a custom tube steel cradle that raises the boat only 6” above the ground. I might look into doing the same thing. That will bring the finish boat up to about 10’-0” at the highest point (with cradle). So an extra foot might work in case I need to jack it up to roll it out.

(ps. what happened to my image, it worked on the preview ?)

Venchka
08-26-2003, 03:21 PM
It's an ImageStation thing. Too many ".jpg"'s and ".orig"'s.

Interesting about the house. I bought one the 1st of August. When we first saw it, Lisa (Mrs. Wayne) was investigating the interior. I was measuring the garage. :D 23'x24'x7' :D Guess what that is big enough for? :D AND a 10'x10'x6' extra workspace. :D Needless to say, I resisted just a little when Lisa said that the interior was perfect and she loved the house. I already loved the garage. My "no place to build a boat" excuse just disappeared.

centroid
08-26-2003, 03:38 PM
Hey, I think my garage is about that size too. The only way I can make it work is if I were to build the boat at a diagonal which would give me about 30’. The top plate is at 8’ so I’ll have to add 2’ to that. Then it should work.

What boat are you building ?

Venchka
08-26-2003, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by centroid:
...What boat are you building ?No clue right now. Something that I can build in MY half of the garage. Say 19'x7'x6' including the strongback. Enough cabin for me to sleep out of the rain. Two masts. 2,000 pounds max. 90% of John Welsford's Penguin , Iain Oughtred's Eun Mara . Or something yet to be imagined. Just dreaming now. I still haven't launched the boat I'm having built as I type. I need tools. Time. But hey, if you don't think about the next one before the current one is finished...I do need a tender for Elisabeth Grace :D