Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NormMessinger
    • Feb 2000

Salt Water Fishing in Maine

The thought had not occured to me until I stumbled across something which said a license was not required, not that getting a license would be that significant.

So, not knowing the first thing about the process nor having any equipment should I give doing so some consideration?
  • Memphis Mike
    Banned
    • Jun 2001

Good topic Norm.

Comment

• shamus
      • Jul 2001

It must be top secret....

Comment

• Mrleft8
        Banned
        • Feb 2000

Generally speaking, salt water fishing consists of dropping a baited hook or lure into the water and waiting for a fish to bite. Striper fishing does have more rules, but Blues are at least as much fun to catch. Even Flounder are fun if you've never done it before. I suggest that if you go out on a "party" boat, that you choose a very small one. The big ones are basically just a seething mass of humanity tangled up in monofillament and hooks. Look for a charter boat with under 12 passengers.

Comment

• Chris Coose
          • Sep 2001

Norm, can I find your itinerary someplace on the board, so I don't have to ask questions that have been answered?
          Study Peace

Comment

• NormMessinger
            • Feb 2000

No intenary exists for sure. The only thing certain is we must be at the WoodenBoat school mid afternoon, July 11. We will spent the following week cruising somewhere along the coast, perhaps take in the WoodenBoat show before heading home. There are so many places to see and ciber-friends to visit we can't possible work it all in and the intense attraction of our own bed may cut the whole trip short.

I once had as surf rod, Donn. Seemed like a thing to have when we lived at Cape Hatteras. It didn't get much use and I'll be danged if I can remember what happened to it. What ever we do will be from Prairie Islander. Can't imagine going with a commercially operated outfit even if that is the only way to catch fish.

Comment

• Chris Coose
              • Sep 2001

So it is fishing from the boat in Penobscot Bay (a fella could cruise that bay for 5 years and not hit every spot)in July.
              Surf gear would work OK but a bit hard to work on and below deck.

Stripers don't get very thick past the larger rivers south of Pen Bay, that is to say, a fisherman who gets them down there usually knows where and when to get 'em.

Not catching fish has never stopped me from trying.

There are some pretty standard spin cast lures, which I'm certain Donn would be best to check in with. My method of catching them these days is almost exclusively on fly gear.
              Study Peace

Comment

Working...