PDA

View Full Version : The pleasant way to build

ishmael
09-08-2000, 04:58 PM
I just talked to my brother who is building a foam, glass, and epoxy boat.

It was hot, so the tyvek jumpsuits were quickly discarded, though not the gauntlets and gloves, for the first session with the glass and epoxy. He ended up gluing his armpit together. You know, reachin' over the boat...

Having done a bit of both composite and traditional construction (by no stretch an expert) it seems to me the only truly pleasant way to build a boat is with cedar, oak, copper, bronze and lead. I include in this generalization ALL other techniques 'cept the birchbark canoe. Ishmael

P.S. Anyone wish to buy my unused plans for the Bahama Mama?

[This message has been edited by ishmael (edited 09-08-2000).]

rickprose
09-08-2000, 05:12 PM
Jack, just spent this glorious day in shirtsleeves, steaming and fitting new frames into a 21 foot daysailer, sanding the oak transom for a dinghy I'm building to my own design, chiselling bungs, etc.. Not a tyvek suit in sight, though i did have to wear gloves to get those frames out of the box...

ishmael
09-08-2000, 05:21 PM
Rick,

A love and glory worthy of Tom Bombadil.

It is, somehow in the mind, shifting; caught, as we are all, in the flow, it is good to keep head above surface as the tide moves. Move, move, move, it will--always moving.

I know I'd rather help with the sandin' than the googin' Need a helper?

rickprose
09-09-2000, 06:21 PM
a bird in a helping hand is worthy of two votes for george bush, or some such nonsense, it's been a long day... i gotta lot of rivetting to do this winter, jack, and if you wanna hold the backing iron, i'll tap, tap, tap...

Gary Bergman
09-09-2000, 09:38 PM
To H*ll with george bush and his side kick dick face cheney, but buckin rivets is always ajoy, specially at a thousand feet or so

G. Schollmeier
09-10-2000, 08:51 AM
This post started great then went down hill. Please leave election politics to the rest of the WWW. I come here to get away from it.
Gary

PatCox
09-10-2000, 11:56 AM
You're still reading that experimental prose, aren't you, Ishmael? Of course, you could call Whitman experimental prose. Its a shame that the most prominent mention of Walt in the press lately has to do with the fact that Bill gave Monica a copy of Leaves of Grass, sophomoric seduction ploy if I ever saw one. For all that, I know plenty of men with a serious weakness for the ladies who nevertheless are kind, honest people with whom I would trust my money in a second, whereas I know many moralistic, sexually virtuous, greedy types who would steal the pennies off their own deceased mothers eyes. In one of his works of theology, C.S.Lewis writes about sin, the types of sin, and in discussing sins of the flesh notes that they are really lesser sins than the utlimate sin, that of pride; as he notes, in the company of drunkards and prostitutes there may nevertheless be a spirit of kindness and cameradery which is christian in nature, whereas a prideful judgmental hater is much worse. A surprisingly large proportion of Jesus' miracles consisted of providing wine for parties, and he spent lots of time in the company of prostitutes. Also, he was a carpenter and his main guys, Peter, and his brother, were fishermen, do you think he built any boats?

ishmael
09-10-2000, 12:26 PM
Yas Yas Yas, moving outside arbitrary boxes of syntax and morality. The thang is, if you once glimmer own humanity, two things:

can't really go back

never judge fellow quite the same

I continually find humorous and sad, the holding to strange and vicious morallities, in name and honor of complex developed men and women, who spoke large awake hearts--included the hard case in us as us, and never wanted (I suspect) no church. Western psyche puddles of lost, thinking found.

Says everything about us nt thm.

[This message has been edited by ishmael (edited 09-11-2000).]

oldriverat
05-23-2003, 09:34 PM
Did yer brother ever get his armpit unglued?

ishmael
05-23-2003, 09:47 PM
No. Still hunching like Quasimoto, over a dread dream bell. Lost like the rest of us, dreaming in some immensity. Boat done before he dies, if he's lucky. Like all of us.

oldriverat
05-23-2003, 10:56 PM
After about a 2 month sabbatical I actually picked up the guitar for awhile tonight. TV sucks.

Dutch Rub
05-25-2003, 05:29 PM
After attending a seminar on resin infusion ( whereby resin is literally sucked into the dry composite andtheair is sucked out) I and the others in attendance concluded that the days of getting all sticky and a styrene high while building glass composite hulls are almost over. As a matter of fact using resin infusion eliminates 99 percent of the nastiness of using composites as a building medium. It has required reformulation of resins and new way of thinking about building glass boats but is going to do the environment and workers at the plants a world of good.

JimD
05-25-2003, 10:18 PM
I have become so resin intolerant over the past few years I'm considering trying my luck at traditional plank. Say! What an idea! Think I'll start a new thread, looking for small, simple, cheap to build caulked carvel boat to learn the ropes.

ahp
05-26-2003, 09:54 PM
For years (40+) a friend of mine has had a paper mache pram. I think it was commercialy built. The amazing thing is that it has held together this long, must have been the glue.

For all that it is a clumsy, heavy, tub.