PDA

View Full Version : Plywood choices

Jamie Hascall
12-21-2001, 12:55 PM
I just called up a site for a plywood distributer who advertised in the latest WB. http://www.resourcesintl-wa.com. They have a couple of marine plys that are certified to BS 1088, one of Keruing and another of Ekaba. The Keruing is heavier and more expensive with claims that it is possibly the strongest marine ply available. The Ekaba is a little lighter but still fully certified. The Ekaba price is amazing at $28.50 per sheet for 6mm (1/4") and $40.00 for 9mm. It would really help keep the price of the Nutshells we're planning on building. My question is whether anyone has used either of these plys and how they compate to the more common Meranti and Okume.

Thanks for any help,
Jamie

Eb
12-22-2001, 01:32 AM
Jamie,

Check this thread;
http://media5.hypernet.com/~dick/ubb/Forum1/HTML/003313.html
Pay close attention to Paul's post.

Eb

Jamie Hascall
12-22-2001, 07:24 PM
Thanks Eb, as usual I should have done a search first on the plywood issue. Pauls reply about the Keruing he had received was very enlightening. As usual with items that are fairly standard coming in for a vastly cheaper price, there usually is a difference. True "deals" are few and far between. Also Nicks observations on plys in the final part of that thread were very well put.

Jamie

Jamie

Jamie Hascall
01-30-2002, 05:49 PM
I figured I get back to the group with a bit of research we did. Since the boats we're making are small and basic and meant to be out of the water much of the time, we decided to see what the cheap ply actually looked like. We ordered up a sheet of the 9mm Ekaba (also known as Ekop). Overall, the product is not too bad. The face veneers are in good shape and fairly thick (1/16"). the biggest problem seems to be a few small voids that you find as you start cutting. These were in the 1/16th+ range, but there were not very many of them. When I boiled a piece overnight on my cabin heater, I could find no hint of glue failure. Overall, for the price I think it will be a perfectly acceptable material for the Nutshells we're building. It brings the materials cost down to around $150 per boat. We didn't try the Keruing as we're trying to do these as cheaply as possible so I can't report anything on it. If I were doing a major boat, I might be a little more reticent, but it seems ok for this purpose. I'll keep everyone posted as things move along.

Thanks,
Jamie