PDA

View Full Version : something we all should do

Ken Hutchins
01-10-2005, 10:50 AM
A few months ago my dad passed away and we have somethings that he did to always remember him for doing. He wrote a book about his life growing up in Fall River, Mass. in the first half of the 20th century. It is 14 pages double spaced and has a lot of insight into life in general and some family history. The final paragraph is about Pearl Harbor day. My brothers wife has typed all of dad's hand written pages into the pooter and all family members now have copies. smile.gif
Dad was also interviewed for several audio and video histories, one of which was on the steamboats of the FALL RIVER LINE aired on PBS, another was his experiences working on torpedos at the Newport Torpedo Station before and after WWII. smile.gif We are extremely grateful that he took the time to do these things.
Nowadays with most everyone having pooters the recording of our memories is so much easier, we all should record our life experiences. Someday, someone might be interested long after we are gone.

bamamick
01-10-2005, 11:05 AM
That's a great idea. Another thing that we should all do is to take a road trip (as an adult) with our parents.

My dad and I took two long drives together a few years ago: on one trip we drove from home up to Rocky Mountain NP in Colorado, on our second trip we drove to Mount Rushmore, Yellowstone, the Tetons, etc.

We took the time on our second trip to drive through northern Louisiana and Arkansas to see the places where my dad had grown up. Quite an education.

Like many young men I was more or less estranged from my father from the time that I was 16 until I was a grown man with kids of my own. I moved out at the age of 18 and never went back. Now I have a wonderful relationship with both of my parents. I understand their world so much more now. And I appreciate everything they did for us so much more now.

Mickey Lake

Ken Hutchins
01-10-2005, 11:20 AM
When you take the road trip, take along a tape or video recorder keep it on for the entire trip, always thought I should have done that on trips taken with dad. Although all trips with him were short he was always talking about how things used to be wherever we were going. One of the recordings of him were done on a sightseeing boat along the shoreline of Fall River. He went on the boat just for the fun of the trip and kept correcting the skipper of the boat as he was narrating about things along the waterfront. Dad was a stickeler for correct details. So dad was invited back for another trip, and he was recorded for the narations for the boat trips. smile.gif

huisjen
01-10-2005, 11:27 AM
One of my Great-Great-Great Uncles wrote a brief book about his life. His father immigrated from the Netherlands and farmed on the banks of the Calumet River, then a day's wagon ride south of downtown Chicago, starting in 1848. The book was written in about 1923, and Chicago was a much different place. He talks about how they cut down miles of hardwood and sold it to the railroads as fuel, drained the swamps which then caught fire all around the south of the lake to Michigan, plus what they bought, made, sold, and ate. Fascinating reading 130 years on.

Dan

Dale R. Hamilton
01-10-2005, 11:31 AM
Ken- Guess I don't know what a pooter is. Can you explain please.

Hwyl
01-10-2005, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by Dale R. Hamilton:
Ken- Guess I don't know what a pooter is. Can you explain please.com-pooter. The thing that you are looking at right now.