PDA

View Full Version : the IRL turns to the right

brian.cunningham
04-01-2005, 05:32 PM
the IRL's 1st road course this Sunday.

Should be interesting to watch.

John Meachen
04-01-2005, 05:42 PM
An interesting IRL race,that must be a first.The CART refugees and F3000 veterans will be quite at home.There will be a much more interesting race in Bahrain with a huge amount of attention paid to the performance of the new Ferrari.

brian.cunningham
04-01-2005, 06:14 PM
Well this was suppose to be an less expensive oval track series.

Kinda interesting that old Ford team is doing better since it's been sold.

Red Bull beats prancing horse

Yes, the Red Bull team, which couldn't buy a stick of luck as Jaguar Racing, is suddenly one of the darlings of the grid.

In fact, thanks to the reliability of its Cosworth engines and smart drives by David Coulthard and Christian Klein, Red Bull is the only team to have finished both cars in the points in both races.

The teammates finished 4-7 in Australia and 6-8 in Malaysia, and have looked "racy" throughout.

Klein was ecstatic on Sunday. "That was a sensational race. I am really happy. I think I was a bit more confident this year because I now have more experience, but it was still tough and I was happy to get to the finish line!"

The elder statesman, Coulthard, was a little more restrained. "It' been an encouraging start to the season, so we should say congratulations to everyone in the team. Special thanks should go to Cosworth because they are doing a good job with the engine."

Renault leads the constructor points, followed by Toyota, Red Bull and then Ferrari, Williams and McLaren.

If I haven't mentioned BAR-Honda, it's because most of the words used around that team's garages these days have been unsuitable for quotation in a fine family publication like The Detroit News.

Stay tuned, it's just getting interesting!
detroit news (http://www.detnews.com/2005/motorsports/0503/22/autos-123643.htm)

[ 04-01-2005, 06:15 PM: Message edited by: brian.cunningham ]

Ross M
04-01-2005, 06:54 PM
Go Helio!

John Meachen
04-01-2005, 07:09 PM
For the sake of National pride,mine that is,it would be nice to see Dan Wheldon or Darren Manning do well in IRL.Then again,next weekend it would be nice to see Paul Tracy at the front in Long Beach with Jos Verstappen and Sebastian Bourdais keeping him on his toes.

Ross M
04-05-2005, 05:17 PM
Well, John - your wish was granted! Maybe this is a good week to play the lottery...

The race was a good deal better than I expected. Sure, Helio got clamped by the backmarker, but the last 20 laps were, well, kinda interesting!

There may be hope for open wheel in this country. The defanged CART doesn't do much for me these days, despite the continued presence of the Thrill from West Hill.

Now, if only they looked and sounded like this:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid163/pc2a8053665c729e0a0529482ba82b270/f490bf37.jpg

brian.cunningham
04-05-2005, 05:22 PM
If I don't have to come in this weekend, I'll be heading down to Long Beach for the GP myself. Great stuff. I've worked as a race official for 3 CART races. One down in Houston, two up in Detroit.

Ross M
04-05-2005, 05:35 PM
Belle Isle, Tracy's last year with Penske.

First few laps, Paul and Alex Zanardi - hammers & tongs!

Oh it was good stuff...

Ross