PDA

View Full Version : White Shadows in the South Seas

cs
09-10-2003, 07:42 AM
I just won this book on an E-bay auction for $1. It came in yesterday and boy is it old. The publication date listed in the cover is Sept. 1919. Now this book has photos in it from the the "Photoplay" of the same name. I found a web site that says the first edition came out in 1919 and was than purseued by MGM to possible become the first non-fiction book to be adapted to a feature film.

Now what I need to do is figure out more about this paticular copy. The cover page says that the publication date was Sept 1919 and there is no other release or printing date. But this can't be a first edition because of the photos in it, but the date listed in the book suggest otherwise.

Chad

Russell Sova
09-10-2003, 08:56 AM
Did you try a google search?

cs
09-10-2003, 11:40 AM
Donn I will check that once I get home this evening and let you know.

Chad

cs
09-11-2003, 10:37 AM
Okay, got the book in front of me now. The publisher is listed as Grosset & Dunlap, New York. Copyright, 1919 by The Century Co. Published, Sept. 1919. Printed in the U.S.A.

Chad

Alan D. Hyde
09-11-2003, 03:49 PM
Century, IIRC, published Joshua Slocum's articles.

I've got a copy of the White Shadows book at home in a green cloth binding, with white embossing on it...

Alan

cs
09-12-2003, 07:55 AM
Boy, you guys are great. Sounds like it is not a first edition, but may be like a second. I guess its not as rare as I thought. Can't wait to start reading it (Gotta finsh Huck Finn first).

Chad