PDA

View Full Version : Glitch With New Pooter

Memphis Mike
12-13-2002, 04:08 PM
We now have a Dell and the only problem I'm
having with it so far is it will disconnect
from the internet at random. It's worse than
the old Gateway was when it comes to this.

It's an Optiplex GX1 with Windows 98, MSN8...
operating on an internal 56K fax modem.

Any ideers?

Bruce Hooke
12-13-2002, 04:12 PM
Are you sure it's not a problem with your phone line?

Jim H
12-13-2002, 04:22 PM
Is it dropping the connectio while you are reading a long thread or while you make a pit stop at the john? If so,with your browser open: go to tools, internet options, click on the connections tab, you'll see your default connection - make sur it's highlighted then click on the "settings" button. You should see a properties button, click it. Cose the "options" tab and the should be 3 drop downs on the page one of which will be "idle time before hanging up" use the drop down and select "never". If that's not the problem, please disregard. ;)

Oh and BTW your keyboard isn't working right either, it keeps mis-spelling words, if I wasn't so cheap I'd replace mine, damn things always mis-spelling somethin.

Jim

[ 12-13-2002, 04:24 PM: Message edited by: JimHillman ]

Bruce Taylor
12-13-2002, 04:42 PM
Over the years, I've had 3 modems that dropped carrier spontaneously, for no good reason. In each case, I spent hours tinkering with initialization strings and trying every AT code in the book...and in each case I ended up replacing the modem.

Some modems are temperamental.

Jim H
12-13-2002, 05:00 PM
Bruce , I've been down that road too. We could send & receive faxes but not connect to the internet. Our lines in Sugar Land are not up to spec. and "Win" modems or software modems (As I was told) cannot cut through the static sometimes. We had to buy a hardware modem and that solved the problem. Now that computer will connect with no problem.

Jim

Jim H
12-13-2002, 05:12 PM
That's why I use the people who own the equipment (at least that's what I tell myself :D ), I've never had an involuntary disconnect with AT&T.

Memphis Mike
12-13-2002, 05:59 PM
Thanks.

Oh and BTW your keyboard isn't working right either, it keeps mis-spelling words, if I wasn't so cheap I'd replace mine, damn things always mis-spelling somethin.

Jim

I don't claim to be the best speller around here
but at least I can write well enough to
to convey a message so others can understand it.

Thet more tyan I can say for some of you that
have a loy more edjumacation then me. :D

NormMessinger
12-13-2002, 06:45 PM
Then there is the issue of the new fast PC communicating with the old modem. There are some settings that might fix this but I'd have no idea what they are. Just a thought.

--Norm

Gary Bergman
12-13-2002, 08:50 PM
'Pooter'? I always thunk that was, well, you know......doncha mean 'puter?

On Vacation
12-13-2002, 09:13 PM
don't claim to be the best speller around here
but at least I can write well enough to
to convey a message so others can understand it.

Mike , you are the very best at bitching and the worse about carrying on a conversation with items that pertain to a topic. Yes your message is to belittle. Anyone can quote the words of that youens arer stupitd continually. How many topics come from you that have real issues of anything except trivia, shallow thoughts, and attacks. :confused: Its very hard to understand anything if you know nothing about anything?

The short road is just belittle. I have had a chance to read over last nights thread on "They Did What". Great waste of the website's expense and nice to see your thoughts on that one. It took a lot of mental prep to prepare your replies on that one thread.

If ever a newbie was to come to this site and read these replies, one would surely runaway from it. Even Dave thought things got out of hand.

Dave Fleming
Member # 577

posted 12-12-2002 11:18 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jack, in truth do you think I overstepped the bounds??
The delete button is just a click away.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You will not change either way.

Chris Coose
12-13-2002, 09:19 PM
Jesus, Oyster

gunnar I am
12-13-2002, 09:28 PM
Oyster: Most of what's on that thread is as valid as most of what's on tv, at the theater and in magazines. It's basically the keyboard version of what goes on in your boatyard all day long; goosing , ribbing, potty talk, unless your guys are talking about Churchill and Kissinger,stopping now and then only to light up a pipe and brush some sawdust off their suede elbow patches. Lighten up.

Meerkat
12-13-2002, 11:30 PM
OK, who put the tobasco on Oyster's tender parts? :D :eek: :D

rodcross
12-14-2002, 12:02 AM
Hey, Oyster, what's that all about? The 'They Did What' thread was for fun. If you took it seriously, you were not thinking.

I think that thread should remain as a mainstay. It may not have been intended, but it is a great way to divert your kind of post away from a legitimate issue. Why not post instead: "Mike, read my response on the 'They Did What' thread."

rodcross
12-14-2002, 12:13 AM
Mike,

The unexpected disconnects didn't start happening for me, recently, until I installed an anti-virus program. The only time, before that, was a few years ago and the problem went away when I installed a new modem.

Memphis Mike
12-14-2002, 07:59 AM
Hi Rod,
We installed the Norton 2003 version.
It seems that all of our problems haved
stemmed from virus programs but I'm not
sure about this one.

Jim, I tried what you said and only got as
far as the properties button. After clicking it,
it does not show an options tab. :confused:

[ 12-14-2002, 08:07 AM: Message edited by: Memphis Mike ]

Jim H
12-14-2002, 04:29 PM
Mike, I have Win98 on the other computer, I'll look at it when I get home.

Dave Fleming
12-14-2002, 05:15 PM
'eyster' IMOOP, the thread did not get out of hand. But I, in re-reading what I had written about Shane, was questioning Jack as to whether MY quips were a little too 'tender' and, if I got a negative response from him or anybody I was going to pull the plug on that posting. From what I read thereafter it was accepted for what it was meant to be a ,as it was called when I was in Kindergarten with Moses, a put down or a rank. Since nobody including Shane objected to it, at least in the thread nor to me personally via e-mail I let it remain.
I personally see that thread a a good let off of steam a ribald exchange between a bunch of the gang sitting around the stove at the end of a hard day on the ways and not ready to hit the road for home, half way through a case of beer and a pass-a-round bottle of booze.
Those same people who the following day if they see you having trouble lifting that timber onto the scaffold around your boat will stop what they are doing and come over and quietly give you that little extra boost up with it.

There does not have to be a ***hidden meaning***behind everything said here and I personally don't look for one. I take 'em at face value until I am shown that there is or was something else behind it.

Ya folla? Ya get my drift? Am I making sense here?

;)

PS: My view is that we need to do that every once in a while, sooner rather than later. It clears the air and lets those of us with the quick and facile minds not, me :rolleyes: quip to their hearts content and not become embroiled in a pissing contest ie: the crap like, I'm coming to kick your arse and all that schoolyard braggadocio. Or so says I. ;) ;)

[ 12-14-2002, 05:22 PM: Message edited by: Dave Fleming ]

On Vacation
12-14-2002, 05:32 PM
I see said the blind man. I just found a nice place to return the favor to Mr. Mike since the response that he decided to install in this thread is verbatum to the ones he has chosen to use on me lately, when he seems lost for meat and potaoes on just about any issue. I did send Rodcroos and e-mail explaining that reply, also.

I try, Dave, Lord knows I try. But is just hard to speak to some that seemed to forgo trying to discuss an issue, forwhatever reason, for lack of desire or just chooses not to versed in a certain area. The comment in life that says "it is hard to talk to many of the opposite side without the name calling or weak belittling" seems to apply here. Sad but true.

Lord I try, Dave, Lord I try. :(

I responded to Peter on the Free Boat thread last early this morning in an attempt to make things right. DId I succeed? Who knows if his comments were a reverse spoof or real. Frankly I just go on, and I did today with attempting to contribute what I could to some of the wood related issues of the day.

Later oh great one, as I stroke my winter fur accommulated upon my chin, pondering the next move as the sun sets over the yardarm.

Memphis Mike
12-14-2002, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by JimHillman:
Mike, I have Win98 on the other computer, I'll look at it when I get home.Jim, it seems to be a little better today but
I'd still appreciate any more tips you can
give us. BTW, it's Windows98 SE.

Hey Dave, Sue was a pretty good sport about
the Adrienne pic. She knows it's all in good fun.

Dave Fleming
12-14-2002, 06:41 PM
O&O Wannbie, she does well in those drawing exercises!

Memphis Mike
12-14-2002, 07:24 PM
Yup, I'm gonna be filtee rich some day
O&O West. We went to an art show today
and an artist we know had 10,000 dollars
worth of work on one small wall in the room! :eek: With several already sold.

And Sue's work is already as good if not
better than hers. :D

[ 12-14-2002, 08:14 PM: Message edited by: Memphis Mike ]

Jim H
12-15-2002, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by JimHillman:
Is it dropping the connectio while you are reading a long thread or while you make a pit stop at the john? If so,with your browser open: go to tools, internet options, click on the connections tab, you'll see your default connection - make sure it's highlighted then click on the "settings" button. You should see a properties button, click it. ;)
JimMike this is for IE 6.0.

O.K. After settings its "properties" then "connect using" your modem should be in the window, just below the window should be "configure", click it then click the "connection" tab. Towards the bottom should be a box with "disconnect a call if idle more than" uncheck the box if it's checked. That may be the problem, it was what I ran into a couple of years ago.

Jim :D

Jim H
12-15-2002, 12:04 AM
I need to drink more, that first post was written while I was sober! Apparently I type better under the influence. :eek:

Jim H
12-15-2002, 12:07 AM
you can also access it by going to "start" control panel, modems, properties, connection, then the line is under call preferences.

Jim

Jim H
12-16-2002, 01:11 PM
So Mike, were you able to navigate the maze and check you "idle" settings?