PDA

View Full Version : I.D. theft

ion barnes
11-13-2003, 08:15 PM
A friend of ours, who has connections to law-enforcment, passed on this piece of advice.

Apparently, hotels that used those plastic key cards, can have alot of your personal information encryped on them. That includes your drivers lic., car you arrived in, passport #, home address, credit info - card # and whatever else you may have given out in blind faith that it is secure. The recogmendation is to take the card with you or destroy it.

The hotels, despite what they may claim, do not erase the previous entries and the excess cards are probably just dropped into a drawer till needed and can be scooped by anyone with criminal intent on his mind.

Can anyone confirm or disprove ?

Captain Pre-Capsize
11-13-2003, 08:21 PM
I recently heard this very thing although I am not in a position to confirm if this is actually the case or just an urban legend. Surely there is someone out there in the travel industry who can weigh in...

John Bell
11-13-2003, 09:32 PM
I doubted this, mostly because I can't imagine why they'd need to put that info on a card that is used only to open the door.

So I went to Snopes (http://www.snopes.com/crime/warnings/hotelkey.asp) to see what they say, where my feelings were mostly confirmed. While it is possible to put all kinds of info on those cards, there is no reason to do so because all they do is open the door!