PDA

View Full Version : Grand Cherokee security

Figment
01-06-2006, 08:40 AM
(We seem to have a lot of car threads down here lately so I figured I'd try my luck)

'93 Grand Cherokee with factory security system.

There is some sequence of button-pushing on the remote/keychain thingy that can de-activate the security system. Does anyone know it?

I'm also told that there is some "put the key in the door, turn left twice, right once, left once, do a little dance on one leg" alternative.

My father was bored last weekend and decided to give my sister's jeep a "tune-up". He pulled a wire he shouldn't have and the security system didn't like it, so the car hasn't run since. The last time this happened, she called the jeep dealership, and a tech gave her the button-pushing sequence over the phone. They must be hungry for work this week, though, because their only response now is "We'll send our tow truck over right away!!!!".

If there's a Jeep-head around who knows the magic sequence, I'd be most grateful for the info.

[ 01-06-2006, 08:42 AM: Message edited by: Figment ]

George Roberts
01-06-2006, 01:03 PM
Read the manual?

(edited for spelling.)

[ 01-06-2006, 01:03 PM: Message edited by: George Roberts ]

Katherine
01-06-2006, 01:05 PM
It may not be in the manual. I've done this several times myself on vehicles here, but don't know the sequence for Jeeps. Try a different dealership of a shop the installs vehicle security systems.

[ 01-06-2006, 01:06 PM: Message edited by: Katherine ]

Don Olney
01-06-2006, 01:57 PM
Figment,

Look toward the bottom of this discssion:

http://www.jonko.com/auto_repair_forums/lo fiversion/index.php/t1276.html (http://www.jonko.com/auto_repair_forums/lofiversion/index.php/t1276.html)

And this one:

http://www.ultimatejeep.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=6909.html

-Don

[ 01-06-2006, 02:01 PM: Message edited by: Don Olney ]

Figment
01-06-2006, 02:10 PM
Nope, not in the manual.

Once again the internet comes to the rescue.
She runs!

Dale R. Hamilton
01-06-2006, 03:09 PM
Well Fig- that just shows you what a damn stupid idea the security system is. My 50 year old truck uses a little steel thing- a key- stick in in the door and it locks or unlocks. Take it with you and you are secure. 'Course you could swallow the key if you need more security. Never had to call for a tow because I couldn't get in. Oh Yeah, unscrew my license plate bolt- and another key falls out.

Katherine
01-06-2006, 04:14 PM
:rolleyes:

Glad it runs Fig.

gary porter
01-06-2006, 07:33 PM
Figment, next time just try puting the key in the back hatch door and turning it either to the left or right,.. that should shut it off.
Gary

Figment
01-07-2006, 04:54 PM
Gary,

That was one of the healing rituals recommended by others. All such rituals were performed in series, so we're not really sure of which one did the trick.

Dale,
I couldn't agree more. Especially in light of the fact that she NEVER arms the system. She hardly ever bothers to lock the car.

We've delivered an ultimatum to my father: the next time he monkeys around with it and triggers the security system, HE gets to pay the stealership to go into the onboard computer and permanently disable the system.

Meerkat
01-07-2006, 04:59 PM
I thought only lesbians drove Cherokees? ;) :D