PDA

View Full Version : Australia

CharlieSanti
06-17-2004, 07:27 PM
The owner the lumber yard I work for is sending his son to Australia for a year to study and work on his classical piano. He will be going to Sydney on July 9th. Are any of you 'down under' members in the Sydney area? He wants to talk to a real resident about what to bring, electrical problems, and such between Elmira, NY, USA and Australia. If so let me know here or at csanti@stny.rr.com and I will get you his name and email address. Thanks, Charlie

[ 06-17-2004, 09:41 PM: Message edited by: CharlieSanti ]

Domesticated_Mr. Know It All
06-17-2004, 07:35 PM
Hey Charlie!
Good to see you. smile.gif
Have you added any new boats to the collection? :D
Peace----> Kevin in Ohio

P.S. I think there's about a 12 hour time difference between OZ and Eastern Standard time. They're still waking up. ;)

Mike Field
06-17-2004, 08:21 PM
Charlie, TonyH or Wild Wassa are closer to Sydney than I am, but if they don't respond feel free to email me.

Setting aside cultural aspects, the main thing to remember is that our electricty supply is 240v 50~ AC, so he'll need a plug adaptor and perhaps a transformer for any US electrical appliances he's proposing to bring. (Travel goods shops are the places to buy them.)

Our plug / socket pattern looks like this --

http://kropla.com/images/electrI.jpg

There's some good information on this issue here (http://kropla.com/electric.htm).

Also note that it's "Sydney," and that our light switches work the right way, not upside-down like yours. smile.gif

(Edited a day later to add: I wonder why the bloke who did that drawing didn't give the right-hand screw another quarter-turn to align the heads properly? Also, to be picky, all three pin-slots should be higher up in the housing. Maybe it's not such a good drawing after all.)

[ 06-18-2004, 09:09 AM: Message edited by: Mike Field ]

JimD
06-17-2004, 08:41 PM
Probably a good idea to get the plug adapter before you go. My brother from Aussie brought his laptop to Canada and there are no adapters here to make a down under plug fit in a North American socket. The ones available here are all the other way around.

Meerkat
06-17-2004, 09:06 PM
If, by any chance, your son is planning to take a computer with him, don't take the monitor. They're not likely to work on Australian mains power because of the different power line frequency (ours: 60 hz; theirs: 50 hz). Other small AC motorized appliances are probably not a good bet either. Because of the way induction charged shavers and toothbrushes work, those are questionable too (may not charge). Even if they do, you may find that a step down transformer costs as much or more than the device you're trying to power.

Laptops are generally fine if they have a universal charger.

[ 06-17-2004, 10:09 PM: Message edited by: Meerkat ]

Wild Wassa
06-18-2004, 12:20 AM
Can you buy sunscreen duty free?

Warren.

CharlieSanti
06-21-2004, 07:45 PM
I gave your email addresses to Andrew. He is leaving Elmira,NY in early July for a several month stay. Thanks, Charlie

P.S. his email address is arobins1@swarthmore.edu

Ken Hutchins
06-21-2004, 08:06 PM
VHS tapes are also a different format. Those blokes down under drive on the wrong side of the road also. tongue.gif

Wild Wassa
06-21-2004, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by Ken Hutchins:
"Those blokes down under drive on the wrong side of the road also."

That's only because we can't buy left hand drive cars here. Most of us drive down the middle of the road anyway and the more skillfull amongst us, use all of the road. Our road toll proves it.

Warren.

[ 06-21-2004, 11:26 PM: Message edited by: Wild Wassa ]

PeterSibley
06-22-2004, 01:27 AM
That wrong side of the road stuff is serious! A friend from here was in the US , stopped at a diner for an hour then drove out onto a deserted road and proceeded down the left hand side .The locals were very unimpressed :mad: He escape with his life.A North American tourist died close to here a few years ago....same story....resulting in a high speed head on :( if I ever visit the USA I'll travel by bus !

John Bell
06-22-2004, 07:14 AM
A few years ago, a friend of mine spent a month on holiday in Australia. An avid runner, he started each day with a brisk jog. One morning while crossing a road he forgot to "look right" first and got creamed by a passing motorist. He wound up with a nasty compound fracture of his left arm and a vactation memory he'd just as soon forget.

I was always grateful for the "look right" notices painted on the curbs in tourist areas of downtown London. They aren't everywhere though, so pay attention when crossing the street!

Mrleft8
06-22-2004, 07:44 AM
Having spent enough time in countries where they drive either on the wrong side, or whichever side seems less crowded at the moment, I've determined that looking BOTH ways, several times, is the safest course of action.
BTW. Virgin Atlantic airways is starting service to Australia in early December... Just incase you were wondering...