PDA

View Full Version : roses and terrorism

Dan McCosh
09-24-2004, 10:12 AM
For the past week, there has been a major effort to increase scrutiny of cut flowers coming into the U.S. through Windsor. This has resulted in some trucks actually turning around and attempting to drive all the way around Lake Erie via Buffalo. The trucks, carrying cut flowers in buckers of water, are being unloaded and carefully searched. One load was confiscated when a spider mite was discovered on petal. No, I am not making this up. My wife works for a major flower distributor and it has done major damage to the growers in Ontario. The reaction is about to be to stop buying Canadian flowers and get them from Columbia, where they can come into the U.S. more easily. I'm still curious as to why this has happened: Some kind of a diplomatic statement? Or more silliness from the homeland "security" folks, most likely a reaction to the recent scrutiny of their procedures.

[ 09-24-2004, 11:38 AM: Message edited by: Dan McCosh ]

LeeG
09-24-2004, 10:27 AM
have you tried to bring fruit into California?

Dan McCosh
09-24-2004, 10:43 AM
This doesn't seem to have anything to do with normal agricultural inspections. For one thing, it's only the Windsor/Detroit crossing. This is the busiest border crossing in the U.S., and always has handled these shipments. It appears to be a deliberate effort to cause a delay. Usually, this kind of thing happens when there is something like a wage dispute with the border guards one one side or the other. I don't actually know what might be behind it.

LeeG
09-24-2004, 10:48 AM
keep us posted. Trucks going around DC are pulled over regularly for what I assume are security related inspections.

MJC
09-24-2004, 11:00 AM
Hey Dan, come on over to the mmmmmid-mmmmmmmmMchigan mmmmmmmessabout on Saturday (http://media5.hypernet.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=001797) .

Time to lighten up, sail/paddle/row/eat/drink/be merry/talk-boats/meet-new-people/get-away-from-the-radiating-monitor/don't-worry-be-happy.

Edited to add more mmmmmm's - it just feels good.

[ 09-24-2004, 12:02 PM: Message edited by: MJC ]

Harry Miller
09-24-2004, 01:16 PM
Dan does it have anything to do with the dispute regarding Toronto's trash being shipped to Michigan landfills?

Dan McCosh
09-24-2004, 02:30 PM
Sorry, but can't make the get-together this weekend.
As for the inspections, I don't have a clue as to why or by whom. Holdups at the border have hurt auto suppliers for a while. The incompetency of anything approaching reasonable border inspection has been something to behold. This seems only another straw. Its effect on a major business in southern Ontario is likely to be significant, however.