PDA

View Full Version : Lightning 15097 launch

Carl Simmons
05-19-2003, 12:57 PM
Well we got tired of waiting for the weather to cooperate. We were hoping for sunshine and 7-9 mph winds :cool: . What we got was cloud and 10-15 mph winds :eek: A little brisk for the first time out but what the hey, it should be memoriable right :D .

We slid it off the trailer and around 1:30pm and it floated off beautifully, riding high in the water (a good sign weight wise). There was a little leaking around one of the newly installed bailers. I may have got some sealant on the gasket which I'll be checking. Other than that all was well. We rotated the boat over to the leeward side of the dock and began hoisting the main sail. I decided to fly only the main until I got use to the feel of the boat before shifting to the next gear (adding the jib). With the wind at our backs we exited the harbor and headed for the main lake where the winds were obviously stronger. After successfully executing a few tacks and a couple of jibes (mostly planned smile.gif )
we decided to raise the jib :eek: . Talk about shifting gears :eek: . After getting the Jib up and almost trimmed correctly we again tacked around with an occassional Jibe. After about an hour of fighting the shifting winds and not trying to push our luck we headed back. Of course, we needed to tack back into the harbor. We finally made it back with only a a couple of unplanned dings with the dock and got tied back up. The biggest problem we had was getting the rudder back off it was stuck and required considerable effort to pull it free.

All in all a reasonably successful first time out.
There is obviously a learning curve for me but it handled well with very little weather helm. I took some pictures but with an analog camera. I try to get some pics posted from the digital camera this week.

Carl.

Ken Hall
05-19-2003, 01:00 PM
Congratulations! Looking forward to the pictures. Well done!

Alan D. Hyde
05-19-2003, 01:56 PM
Well done, Carl! Congratulations.

I've been waiting for some sun around here, too.

Were you on Geist, or Morse, or ???

Alan

jlapratt
05-19-2003, 02:16 PM
Congratulations!! We all hope for such success on the first launch. Can't wait for the pics.

Jeff

Carl Simmons
05-19-2003, 04:11 PM
Alan,

I was at Giest out of the Indianapolis Sailing Club docks. I purposely decided to sail after 1:30pm on Sunday because the club races are taking place and there are safety boats scurrying around smile.gif .

Carl.

Alan D. Hyde
05-19-2003, 04:26 PM
A lot of flukey wind there, but glad it went OK.

Geist will teach you a lot, though.

The light and flukey winds sailing practice, along with his own abilities, are what made Buzz Levinson the International Snipe Champion years ago. (196__?)

Alan

[ 05-19-2003, 04:27 PM: Message edited by: Alan D. Hyde ]

Wild Wassa
05-23-2003, 01:35 AM
Flukey winds suit inland sailors.

When they don't break firstup, ... that's a good sign. The lightning is a beautiful dinghy, with big enough sails to hoot. It sounds like a good trial.

Warren.

Walcheren
05-23-2003, 12:15 PM
An exciting story and for me a little scary with a brand new boat. Looking forward to the pictures.

Carl Simmons
05-23-2003, 12:24 PM
Even more exciting when you consider that the wooden mast is about 40+ years old :eek: and probably 10 years since it was flying sails.

Carl.