PDA

View Full Version : How should I repair this?

lumberdude
03-03-2002, 06:55 PM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid3/pd580904c47404479ea38ddeaa8cf18d3/fde4d9cf.jpg

I had just about decided to epoxy the piece back in that came out of this rip, but oddly enough, it won't even begin to fit. I'm a bit perplexed about this, cuz I know it came out of there. I can't imagine the boat swelling or shrinking at a different rate than the piece, but it's almost like the piece didn't come out of the hole.

At anyrate, I'm wondering what sort of patching compound I can put in there. Any suggestions?

lumber

Bruce Hooke
03-04-2002, 05:09 PM
I'm having a hard time figuring out this picture. Can you add a bit more detail in words about what we are looking at...is this the inside or the outside of a boat? What type of boat is it? Am I correct in understanding that the damage is a section of strip planking that somehow come off/out?

lumberdude
03-04-2002, 07:16 PM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid5/p57ace05a77d8c4c9d8fb1e64d4d183cd/fde433bc.jpg

Sorry Bruce. I always figure people know what I'm talking about. Can't you people read minds??? ;)

lumber

Art Read
03-05-2002, 12:29 PM
Odd that it won't go back in there... Sometimes those things "magically" change size themselves if left alone for a bit. Tried it again yet? At any rate, weren't you considering bottom paint for her anyway? You may just have to bite the bullet and put a "dutchman" in there. Shouldn't be really very noticable way down there anyway once you get her turned back over... I think real wood, even if not the orginal piece, is a more sound repair than just some sort of filler. That looks like a pretty big "cavity" you've got. You'll want to practice making a few dutchmen before having at your hull. I've found it far easier to sacrifice a bit of sound wood around the defect to make a "regular" shaped hole than trying to carve an elaborate "plug" to fit an odd shaped one. That way lies madness... And bevel the sides a bit to improve the chances for a tight fit. Don't worry. It looks HUGE right now, I'll bet, but by the time you've moved on to your next problem, it'll fade in significance. Bet you're the only one who'll ever notice it once she's done.

Bill Perkins
03-05-2002, 03:56 PM
Did the plank have too much moisture , cracking as it dried ? How'd this happen ?

lumberdude
03-05-2002, 06:12 PM
Bill, When I got the boat, there was a very poorly done and ugly layer of @#$%#glass on her. When I yanked off the glass, most of it came of very easily. Well, this piece came off easily too, only, it was still attached to the glass.

Art, by "dutchman", I'm getting that you think that I should "carve" a patch to put back in the rip? I'm just not familiar with the term dutchman patch. Sorry, I'm not exactly mister nautical. I do plan on priming and painting at least 2 coats each, and as you mentioned, I'm not at all concerned with noticing it after it's done. I'm sure these missouri fish won't say much! :D

lumber

Art Read
03-06-2002, 08:43 AM
Sorry, Lumber, didn't mean to be obscure but yeah, that's just what a "dutchman" is. Probably not a "politically correct" term as I suspect it refers to the Dutch's notorious thrift. "Why replace the whole plank? Just "patch" it!" Looking closer at your picture, it looks like it won't be exactly a dutchman you need but more like a small section of plank/strip to fill that void. Mill it to match the existing piece and shape the mating surfaces of both it and the void to fit nicely. You'll want a good, SHARP chisel for this job. Once the epoxy has cured, you just plane/sand the "patch" fair with the rest of the hull. Make sense?

[ 03-06-2002, 08:49 AM: Message edited by: Art Read ]

whb
03-06-2002, 04:55 PM
Lumber

it looks from the picture that the void is relatively shallow. If so I would suggest that you use a router to take it to a even depth. Then epoxy in a new piece very slightly proud. Finally, sand it even. This I think is what was meant by a dutchman. Sometimes they are done ornately in furniture, often like a straight sided figure eight.

The nails will be a problem. You could sink them below your router cut to start with or pull them. The latter allows you to use nails to hold the plug in place and doesn't risk the router but the board itself may well spring out if you do.

The planks look nice as they are. Have you considered finishing bright.

Howard

lumberdude
03-06-2002, 07:13 PM
Howard, I thought about finishing it bright at first, but I decided that paint was probably what was on it originnally. Either that or canvass. I'm not too fond of the screwholes as they were covered with some sort of white putty. I don't think they would look all that great finished bright. So I decided on Mr. Kirbies products as soon as the cash will flow.

Thanks to everyone for suggesting possible fixes. I like the router idea and the patch. It still baffles me how much different sized the piece and the rip is. I remember when it came out and it fit perfectly like a puzzle piece. Now the only thing similiar is the shape of the contours.

It's good to be baffled occasionally. :confused:

lumber