View Full Version : The WoodenBoat Forum and Dyslexia

Paul Pless
10-04-2005, 01:49 PM
What is it about this place that causes my spelling to be so bad? Is it just the lack of a spell checker? :D

editted to correct grammer :eek:

[ 10-04-2005, 02:50 PM: Message edited by: Paul Pless ]

10-04-2005, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by Paul Pless:

editted[sic] to correct grammer[sic] :eek: :D

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
10-04-2005, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Paul Pless:
What is it about this place that causes my spelling to be so bad? There is a sort of jean-pool of the engrish (http://www.engrish.com) language. Where the spells cross-pollinate.
The bad gnus is that you carry your (you're?) intire spell collection with you wherever you go - so its knot just this plaice - soon "newspell" will appear everywhere in your wake.

Hole theses will be written about how W. Dingo has impacted western literature - or the influence of Seafox on the lyric poets of the late 21st sentuary.

Someday soon I expect to find a single button of the new microsoft keybored for "[sic]".

No wucking furries m8.

Keith Wilson
10-04-2005, 02:09 PM
You can write your post in any word processing program, use that program's spell checker, and then paste it into the WBF window. There's no program ever written that will check if it makes sense, however. ;)

Paul Pless
10-04-2005, 02:11 PM
or the influence of Seafox on the lyric poets of the late 21st sentuary yup, that's when I had to clean my monitor :D LOL!

Do you remember when Leon M's keyboard was broken for about a year and everything he wrote had an iambic pentameter quality to it?

10-04-2005, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Keith Wilson:
There's no program ever written that will check if it makes sense, however. ;) Actually, a good friend at Computer Associates runs a small department that is developing software that does just that. It's AI based, and analyses clause/phrase structure, sentence structure and paragraph structure, comparing them to a growing expert-based neural network, looking for inconsistencies. Believe it or not, it's being developed for use in the creation of software documentation, in multiple languages.

Paul Pless
10-04-2005, 02:19 PM
goddammit Donn, It already pisses me off enough when Microsoft Word suggests that my grammer is incorrect by highlighting what I write in green.

[ 10-04-2005, 03:21 PM: Message edited by: Paul Pless ]

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
10-04-2005, 02:28 PM
My mother was incandescent at what microsoft's grammar checker said about her writing.

<Font color=green> This sentence appears to have been written in the passive voice.</font>

What the Fxxx does it mean "appears"!!!, Of course it was.

Ian McColgin
10-04-2005, 02:30 PM
Slightly more primitive versions of the program Donn mentioned have been in use for programs where the language and reasoning are reasonably formal and predictable. When I regulated utilities, I helped develop the program on which we wrote hearing decisions. It's very much the same skill as proper Biblical exegesis, after all. The program was exacting, not to mention at times argumentative.

These programs are offshoots of the happy combination of linguistic studies, computer modeling, and the development of enhanced communications devices for people with disabilities. Some very cool stuff out there.

But even the simple Word I use here catches my more egregious misspellings, highlights overlong sentences, identifies fragments, and wonders about verb forms.

Most of all, writing full screen and rereading a time or two during the spell check helps me decide if I mean what I wrote and if I got there with any clarity. I can give the others here that much courtesy.

I also can opt to ignore postings that add purely linguistic confusion or pretension to whatever challenges the thoughts might pose.

Harry Miller
10-04-2005, 02:57 PM
more egregious misspellings,So Ian you now know whether it's choise or choice?

10-04-2005, 03:07 PM
I thought that's why some folks do little more than 'cut & paste'. smile.gif

John B
10-04-2005, 03:14 PM
It doesn't matter how long I look at the initial post. I always have to edit for grammer, punctuation or spelling.
oo look , no mistakes in this one .. I don't have to edirt it.

[ 10-04-2005, 04:15 PM: Message edited by: John B ]

Ian McColgin
10-04-2005, 03:31 PM
Dang you Harry. I looked over my post several times wondering which I'd chosen.

I make that mistake all the time. When I write on the Forum without using Word and Spell Check, I display my ignorance.

10-04-2005, 06:50 PM
If I were to make mistakes on the order of those aforementioned offenders, I'd use a program to correct them. As it is though, I just hit the "post a reply" button and take my chances.