PDA

View Full Version : The Lovers

J. Dillon
11-27-2002, 04:58 PM
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid40/pea3c6c906b5bbd48876dba4b9ed98542/fcffc184.jpg

Couldn't resist posting this amorous scene in one of the most romantic locations in Italy the "Ponte Vecchio" bridge Florence.

Isn't this what life is all about ? ;)

JD

doorstop
11-27-2002, 05:02 PM
Love? Amorous?..... you've got to be kidding! He's trying to push her off of the bridge and into the pollution below!!!
Romance.... BAH! HUMBUG!
:D

ishmael
11-27-2002, 05:05 PM
Yeah, I don't know JD, looks pretty homophobic to me. How'd ya get that past the thought police? ;)

J. Dillon
11-27-2002, 05:15 PM
You know Ish & door stop, I think people have to take time out and go to a romantic setting once in a while. We tend to get jaded in the same place. For me Renaissance Italy does it , especially when I stumble into the above scene.

What does it for you guys ? ;)

JD

ishmael
11-27-2002, 05:20 PM
It is a very nice picture JD. I especially like the hand's drape of the woman.

Hmm. Anyplace I'm with a woman I like. When falling in love, it matters not. After the bloom is off the rose...I'm not sure I've ever found that place.

JD,

Just out of curiosity, when is the best time to go to Venice? I hear it can be unbearably crowded at times. Never having been to Europe, Venice is at or near the top of the list when I eventually go. In fact, I thing I could spend my entire time in Italy.

[ 11-27-2002, 05:34 PM: Message edited by: ishmael ]

John of Phoenix
11-27-2002, 05:37 PM
JD, are you there and back already?

Ish, I was there in June and it quite nice, though spring time is supposed to be ideal.

Mrleft8
11-27-2002, 05:42 PM
What "does it for me" is a tropical island. Palm trees, cool breeze, ice cold Guinness, no whinning pastey faced thought clouded sheep... Sigh.....

NormMessinger
11-27-2002, 05:43 PM
If that guy sneezes the girl is a gonner.

--Norm

J. Dillon
11-27-2002, 05:46 PM
I guess the best person to ask is our own Gondola guy. He lives there. For me, summer is out, too crowded and hot, but spring sounds great. In mid Nov. it was quite cool 42F in the morning with little sunshine but less crowded.

JD

Wild Dingo
11-29-2002, 02:33 AM
love is everywhere... you can see it in the train station you can see it in the bus station you can see it in the marina Italy is just another place were the notion of romance is the draw card... but then having never been there what the heck do I know :cool:

what does it for me?... anywhere above the 26th paralel during the wet when things are green hot and moist tempratures rising humidity climbing the roof and all the sweet young tourists's clothes are coming of faster than a rat up a drainpipe... thats romanace... ooops no thats one of them dreaming sequences! :D ...

romance... mmmmmm cool evening sitting looking at the "stairway to heaven" sunset in Broome just me and possumpoop and the wide open expanse of sand and sea a nice cold bottle of white wine a big mess of prawns crayfish and barramundi... now thats heaven on a stick!!! :D

Take it easy
Shane

Eric Sea Frog
11-29-2002, 06:37 AM
I've found Venice unexpectedly rainy in April or May. Early June would be a good time.
I came on a train but most people say the greatest way is to come by boat.
You would avoid the absurd Carnival (a comedy for tourists, ugly masks and colors) unless you know about the right addresses and spots to go (the real Venitians' carnival, very exclusive if not snobby or, unexpectedly, the Venice Firemen's, both popular and authentic, own carnival).
Beware of l'acqua alta (the floodings).

Erico

Shang
11-29-2002, 08:51 AM
Walking hand in hand in the snow in Paris, on Christmas Eve was nice a few years back...

...'Course Paris any time with the woman you love ain't too bad.

...Gonna be there again pretty soon...with the same woman...

Eric Sea Frog
11-29-2002, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Shang:
Walking hand in hand in the snow in Paris, on Christmas Eve was nice a few years back...
...'Course Paris any time with the woman you love ain't too bad....Gonna be there again pretty soon...with the same woman...Actually, we don't get snow every year. As of matters maritime, the Musée de la Marine is near the Trocadéro underground station, overlooking the Seine, and houses Napoléon's launch. There are a kayak and an umiak at the nearby Musée de l'Homme in the same building.
Prehistoric pirogues are kept in vacuum shrines at the Musée Carnavalet.

Eric

mmd
11-29-2002, 10:32 AM
Why does love & romance always have to be easy? You know, idyllic walks down pristine parkland paths, lounging on pillows in the gondola in Venice, blah, blah. Is there no romance in adventure? What about sharing the hundred-mile view from the top of Gros Morne Mountain after a hard slog up the final approaches? How about laughing so hard you think you'll hurt yourself as you both careen down a chute in a set of rapids on a tractor tire inner tube? Or for this crowd, how about the silent communion of sharing a watch at sea at 3:00 am? Romance isn't easy, it's what you make of it when you find it. smile.gif

BTW, nice photo, JD.

Shang
11-29-2002, 12:13 PM
"...Actually, we don't get snow every year..."

But it is still Paris.