View Full Version : Norman Blake

12-23-2005, 06:49 PM
Is anyone else a fan? I just listened to the live version of "Nine Pound Hammer" on Pandora (http://www.pandora.com/)

Flat pick guitar pickin' at it's finest!

Phil Heffernan
12-23-2005, 06:58 PM
Really great site, that Pandora, listening to Blake now, but not 9# Hammer...

Thanks for the tip...

12-23-2005, 09:06 PM
clancy, thanks for posting that URL. I've bookmarked it and already have two "stations".
I know it's an advertising ploy for selling music, but it's a well done one, isn't it?

I don't know much about Norman Blake, but I do know and like his "White Oak Swamp". I also like his kind and style of music. I think I'll be listening to it a bit more.

I saw a concert,and met,"Doc" Watson in 1964 and I've loved his music ever since. I typed his name into the search engine and I'm sittin' here, "toe tappin" as I write this.

Thanks again ! smile.gif

12-23-2005, 10:25 PM
I signed up for the free version about a month ago. I must have 20 different stations. I have not received as much as a single email asking that I buy anything. I go to Pandora, pick a station and minimize the window. Open another window and surf away while it plays in the background. I too like Doc Watson. I found out he was on there by listening to the Norman Blake station. The diversity of the music available is amazing.

Phil Heffernan
12-23-2005, 11:22 PM
This station is the future of radio...It will lead to huge demand for old song catalogue as .99 singles...Great idea, and well done...

12-24-2005, 12:10 AM
Listening to Nitty Gritty DB with Willie Nelson."roll in in my sweet baby's arms" Some good picking in there too.Great site.On the vocal side of things I may try some Vince Gill.That boy can pick too.

12-24-2005, 01:46 AM
I tried for Vassar Clements; he's there. He played fiddle with the Nitty Gritty DB on the "Will The Circle Be Unbroken?" album.

12-24-2005, 02:06 AM
Alot of the best of the best on those "Will The Circle Be Unbroken" albums both 1 and 2. Listening to that now on cd here.You guys got me going thru my cd's. Vasser Clements,ChetAtkins...Johnny Cash...Paulette Carlson from "Highway 101"..Earl Scruggs and Randy Scruggs...Jerry Douglas and Mark O'Connor...too many to list. Seems all the Nashville greats both young and old are on those albums. If you are into bluegrass/gospel music it will give one goosebumps listening to it. The recordings are very well done and you can hear all the instruments including the stand up bass.

If thats the kind of music you like(I can appreciate the best of any music other than rap)Those 2 albums are a must have. It will cure any itch for picking music. Sure upped my appreciation for NGDB.

Norman Blake...such a multi faceted musician.Mandolin,guitar,dobro...you name it he probably played it. He is on the first circle album.

[ 12-24-2005, 03:25 AM: Message edited by: pipefitter ]

Wild Wassa
12-24-2005, 06:37 AM
Top site clancy. I like brass, so it has been trumpet mania here this evening and Santa scaringly loud.

The Dirty Dozen Brass Band
Tom McDermott
Felix Second
Jack Johsnon
Nicholas Payton
The Brass Monkey Brass Band and even King Oliver and his Dixie Syncopators and now Louis A is for awesome and I'm getting dizzy ... Really Dizzy.

The family went to the midnight church service this evening ... and I went to heaven.

ps, Next, trumpet concertos for two trumpets ... what a great site. Don Ellis' Turkish bath tunes, it feels like Christmas. 'Overtures of China' for trumpet ... too much fun and by Sun Ray and his Solar Orchestra ... I must have died and gone to heaven.

[ 12-24-2005, 08:36 AM: Message edited by: Wild Wassa ]