PDA

View Full Version : Ian's Boat,,,,,,,,

Ian Wright
10-07-2000, 12:34 PM
Try http://www.oldgaffersassociation.org/gafferslog.html

in the Old Gaffers pages to see a small pic of (my) Patience.(sept 00)
Showing off again,,,,,,,,,,,

IanW

[This message has been edited by Ian Wright (edited 10-07-2000).]

B. Burnside
10-07-2000, 01:43 PM
Wow, Ian, what a beauty! She should indeed show off!

Dave 'doc' Fleming
10-07-2000, 05:14 PM
Aw c'mon Ian, how's about a good sized photo?
That there is jes' a tease!

Ian Wright
10-07-2000, 05:42 PM
Doc,
You could try standing closer to the monitor,,,,,, or,,,,,,
The OGA webmaster is about to scan the original pic for all the cover boats and show them at a good size "soon". Meantime I'll see if I can figure out how to get this scanner on my desk to work ,,,,,,,,,,

IanW

NormMessinger
10-07-2000, 07:58 PM
Does anyone recogonize this boat?

http://home.att.net/~n.messinger/Patience.jpg

http://media4.hypernet.com/~dick/ubb/smile.gif --Norm

Ian Wright
10-08-2000, 09:15 AM
Looks good Norm, shame about the focus,,,,,, http://media4.hypernet.com/~dick/ubb/wink.gif

IanW.

John B
10-08-2000, 02:37 PM
Looks lovely Ian.
sailing is great fun but doing it in style as well....... can't be beaten.
How did Norm get the other pic?

NormMessinger
10-08-2000, 08:00 PM
If I told ya I'd have to kill ya. heh heh heh

--Norm

John B
10-08-2000, 09:12 PM
look forward to seeing you then Norm, it's not far to travel.
can we go fer a sail first or negotiate a little perhaps.

regards
john

John R Smith
10-09-2000, 06:14 AM
Ian, she is a lovely boat. Did you get across to Holland this year as you hoped? You may have already sent a report, but I missed it, perhaps . . .

John

Ian Wright
10-09-2000, 01:51 PM
John R,,,,,,,,

Yes, I/we did most of the early Gaffers/Classic events, finishing with a party or two at the RNSYC, then from Harwich to Vlisingen (Flushing) in the south of Holland. Then 'inside' Holland, great sailing, bars, and people, and home from Stellandamm five weeks later.
Patience is resting at Heybridge and I'm home with the 'flu,,,,,,,,

IanW

John B
10-09-2000, 04:19 PM
Hey Ian, something which has always interested me (probably since "we didn't mean to go to sea") is what the passage is usually like in the English Channel. is the Traffic as bad as "they" say? what sort of time do you budget for ? My impression is that although it's narrow most people cross away from that point?
regards
john

Ian Wright
10-09-2000, 06:01 PM
> since "we didn't mean to go to sea") is what the passage is usually like in the English Channel. is the Traffic as bad as "they" say? <

The "Channel", is that bit of water between Dover and Calais, and 20 miles wide. It's genuinly the most busy bit of international water in the world, and while not risky given a good lookout and common sense, neither port is all that attractive so I don't go there. Though I sometimes pass through on the way to elsewere,,,,,,,

>what sort of time do you budget for ?<

The trip from the east coast to Holland is, depending on which of the delta ports you aim for is anything from 95 to 120 miles, so around 20 hours in my size of boat. Fastest so far was 19 hours, slowest 32.
There is a traffic separation zone which the big stuff use. Given that they are all going *this* was in this lane, and *that* way in the other and crossing traffic must head at 90 degrees to the flow (give or take 15 degrees) it really is not a problem. In the days prior to Decca and GPS the change of big ship direction gave the navigator a clue just when he needed it. http://media4.hypernet.com/~dick/ubb/wink.gif There are worse trips, if it was all that bad I wouldn't go to Holland. And I like Holland,,,,,,,

IanW

Smacksman
10-09-2000, 06:10 PM
Crossing the Channel in a fast cruiser is almost a straight line for 10 hours. In a fast sailing boat the track is a gracefull curve for 15 hours. In my sort of sailing boat and proberbly a Vertue, the track is an 'S' where the tide gets a good second bite at you for a 20 hour crossing of a hundred miles or so as the crow flies. On a really 'bad hair day' it took nearly two days. Most unpleasent. And forget this 'power gives way to sail stuff' and 'give way to those coming at you from starboard', the tracks of 700 ships a day that you are crossing are ALL bigger than you and only just about give way to each other and certainly not for anything under 200'. Can be fun in fog. And of course there are lots of sandbanks each side, and ... ;)

Mike Field
10-09-2000, 08:53 PM
Ian, tell us a bit about Patience, would you? Dimensions, underbody, accommodation, etc, would all be nice to know.

Ian Wright
10-10-2000, 01:36 PM
,> tell us a bit about Patience, would you? Dimensions, underbody, accommodation, etc, would all be nice to know.<

Nothing I enjoy more than talking about Patience, I try to restrain myself a little in order to avoid boring the rest of you,,,,

She is a Laurent Giles Vertue, number 203 of about 240, designed in 1936, built in 1989 at the International Boatbuilding Training College of iroko on (steamed) oak to Lloyds.
Under the water she is a 'normal' long keeler, slight cutaway forefoot. 25"4' lbp plus a 5" bowsprit, 7"4' beam,4"9' draught.
Accepted wisdom is tha Vertues are the very best long distance cruising boat of their size even today.
I drew a gaff cutter rig for her though all but four of the class are bermudan. Performance to windward is no worse with topsail than a bermudan Vertue, and reaching can be much faster.honesty compels me to admit that most of the others are faster in light airs,,,, Patience is VERY heavy.....5 1/2 ton,,,
Accomodation varies from boat to boat, more than one has five berths (!) but mine has just two and a full sized chart table,I don't need more, I sail solo most of the time.

IanW

[This message has been edited by Ian Wright (edited 10-10-2000).]

Alan D. Hyde
10-10-2000, 02:19 PM
There is a good book from the fifties, with Vertue plans and lines, and a good story too: "Westward Crossing," by Humphrey Barton.

I read it years ago, but I'm sure if there's a mistake in the title or author's name, Ian or someone will let us know.

There was a well-known female sailor from the same era that had a Vertue...

Alan

Ian Wright
10-10-2000, 02:45 PM
>: "Westward Crossing," by Humphrey Barton.<

Called "Vertue XXXV" the book that is, in other parts of the world,,,,,a classic.

IanW

Smacksman
10-10-2000, 03:47 PM
No. XXXV was up for sale in the States for ages. Has she found a good home yet?

Ian Wright
10-10-2000, 04:20 PM
Yes,,,, she was bought for 5000 (ish) by an Italian chap who had her shipped to Italy and rebuilt at great expense.I've not heard of her since,,,,,,
IanW

Mike Field
10-11-2000, 02:45 AM
Thanks, Ian. I should have guessed. Possess her if you can, eh?

Ian McColgin
01-20-2005, 08:18 AM
Finastkind.

Magwitch
01-20-2005, 09:31 AM
You are suggesting that Patience is a Misc Non-Boat?
Step outside,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

IanW

Magwitch
01-20-2005, 10:03 AM
Well OK,,,,,,,, but that's not my boat , try here,,,,,,,
http://homepages.rya-online.net/vertueowners/images/TheBoats/Patience%20V203/Patience.htm

IanW