PDA

View Full Version : Toy for Tots - no guns please

km gresham
12-03-2004, 07:31 AM
It seems toy guns are not desired for children. I don't know about any of you other folks who raised little boys - or were little boys, but for a (very) short time I decided not to give my little guys guns to play with. Very enlightened and modern of me, I thought. Then I saw them aiming sticks, spoons, whatever they could find and shouting "bang, bang, bang!". They were, after all, boys. When they went to the store with their own money the first place they went was the pop-gun, cap-gun aisle.

Boys love noise and chasing after each other pretending to shoot the bad guys. I gave up after about 3 months of thinking I could change the nature of little boys by not having a certain toy around. smile.gif

Inside the Beltway
By John McCaslin
THE WASHINGTON TIMES

Pair of letters
"Gentlemen," Washington-area resident Doug Welty writes to the U.S. Marine Corps Reserve Toys for Tots Foundation, "Lincoln Property Company, our building managers here in Arlington, dropped off a Toys for Tots flier today that says at the bottom: 'In keeping with the principles of the Toys for Tots campaign, we cannot accept toy guns, knives, or other things of this nature and toys should have a perceived value of $10.00.'
"As I have donated toy guns to Toys for Tots campaigns for many years, I was wondering if this is actually a Toys for Tots policy or just something our building manager made up. It also seems to me, upon reflection, that a Scout knife or leatherman-type tool would be a Christmas gift that most boys would prize.

"Are 'things of this nature' to be verboten ... in this enlightened era of political correctness?"
A response soon came from retired Marine Maj. Brian A. Murray, vice president of operations for the Toys for Tots Foundation, who wrote to Mr. Welty: "While not a written policy, we do not accept items that have a connection to violence. Not political correctness, but a conscious decision to stay away from toys/gifts resembling weapons."
Mr. Welty told Inside the Beltway yesterday that "the guns I put in the boxes are cowboy-style, not gangsta style."

MJC
12-03-2004, 08:14 AM
Did you post this deliberately to p.o. Joe (CSOH)?

'course he's on another rant, attacking people after he asked for help.

If I bought server space for you and Joe, would you both just go away and bother each other?

km gresham
12-03-2004, 08:25 AM
I don't post anything to make anyone angry. I post things that interest me. If my posts anger some or don't interest some, my name is clearly posted beside the thread and my threads can be ignored easily. Or so you would think. smile.gif

alteran
12-03-2004, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by MJC:
[QB]
'course he's on another rant, attacking people after he asked for help.

QB]:D

Sam F
12-03-2004, 08:39 AM
I've never thought that boys playing with toy guns was that big a deal. We got my son a few cap pistols and squirt guns over the years and he had fun wearing them out.
He now makes his own toys since the store-bought ones don’t meet his esoteric standards.

On the other hand… my wife was talking to another mother who had forbidden toy guns of any sort and this lady was mortified one morning to see that her little boy had eaten away strategic portions of his morning toast to transform it into a pistol and was busy gunning down his sisters. :eek:

km gresham
12-03-2004, 08:42 AM
LOL - boys! I learned fast. You can run but you can't hide. No matter how much the feminist types want to make little boys into little girls in jeans, it just can't be done. smile.gif

I also realized that before they were very old they'd be hunting with their Dad and they'd have to have a -gasp! - real gun. :D

[ 12-03-2004, 09:44 AM: Message edited by: km gresham ]