PDA

View Full Version : Lofting Rabbet Line on Stem

Dennis Marshall
07-19-2003, 09:23 AM
I am in the process of lofting Atkin's 14ft skiff Lark. I finally got the stem lofted to a reasonable facsimile of the plan shape, but I am having a heckuva time with the rabbet line. The plans, at least to my eye, are not real detailed in this matter. I have drawn a 1" in grid on the lofting table to help me plot the points more accurately, but I'm still not getting it. Pointers, anyone? Thanks.

Dennis

Art Read
07-19-2003, 10:51 AM
Not familiar with this particular boat, but based on my own struggles with this issue, what "looks right", probably is. Not to be flippant, but if you've taken into consideration all the information that your plans give you, just go ahead and bend a batten to an eye-pleasing curve and have at it. Keep in mind that stiff, wooden planks will have to be bent to lie fair in the shape that you're cutting and that fastenings will need to be driven into the faying surfaces and all should be well.

No two boats are ever exactly alike. And nobody will ever take a measuring tape to yours. "Correct" positioning of your rabbet line is less important than a rabbet that will accept your planking "gracefully".

John E Hardiman
07-19-2003, 10:56 AM
Simple,

I assume you've lofted the stem in plan at all the waterlines and sheer? If not do so. Check to see where the lines are drawn too; inside or outside the planks. Then take a piece of the plank stock and lay it along its line on edge. Align the fwd outer corner with the approprate surface of the stem and pick off the stem line, the rabbet line, and the bearding line (if there is one). Transfer these points to the profile for each waterline and strike a fair line through the points.

You can do the same in the body plan to pick off the same lines for the keel.

{edit}
Oh a skiff redface.gif ....nevermind the keel part. Also is this a lapped stem?, that makes it easier.

[ 07-19-2003, 11:59 AM: Message edited by: John E Hardiman ]

John E Hardiman
07-19-2003, 12:19 PM
Here is what I mean. I don't exactly like how Chapelle uses the terms andit pre-supposes a construction technique and lines plan development that may not agree with the builders plans, but oh welll... http://home.att.net/~jehardiman/RABBET.gif

Dennis Marshall
07-19-2003, 06:25 PM
Art and John,

Thanks for your replies, I appreciate them very much. John, your explanation is as clear as mud to me, which says more about my abilities than your explanation. I will have to noodle over it and the drawing a bit more tomorrow.

Dennis

[ 07-19-2003, 07:26 PM: Message edited by: Dennis Marshall ]