PDA

View Full Version : Why the WB forum sucks

TomFF
03-29-2003, 10:14 PM
With respect to our hosts I post this. But I have little respect for the people down here in the bilge. It used to be that you could actually discuss an issue with a degree of respect despite disagreement.

Seems like the war hit the forum long before GW invaded Iraq. I don't understand you guys at all. Foul language, harsh words, and bitter denunciations swirl here like crap in a toliet.

What is the deal with you guys?

Bilge pump
03-29-2003, 10:33 PM
Down here you can be a total arsehole while hiding behind a silly nickname like mine or a stupid abbreviation like yours, you can vent your foulest ****e without having to give a flying F^%k about anyone or anything, this is the "long drop" of the board. Here live the filth!
Oh, by the way, just so you feel you belong----- go and get stuffed!

bloody stupid isn't it, but we think we're prettygood anyway

[ 03-29-2003, 10:35 PM: Message edited by: Bilge pump ]

stevenovascotia
03-29-2003, 10:38 PM
Come on over to the Oh Canada thread Tom. We're quite civil there. smile.gif

NormMessinger
03-29-2003, 10:40 PM
Rather, "What's the deal with [some]of you guys?"

There is enough nastyness during the week but three or four of us really hit bottom on the weekends. Still, there are a few that can ignore them and offer true insights in to the various discussions. Saddly, several who once did no longer do and, finding such discussions is a chore.

It saddens me. I can't see how these "guys" can be enjoying themselves and I'm not insightful enough to understand why they do it. Kind of spoils the fun for the rest of us. Maybe that is the motivation--"I'm miserable therefore I shall make others suffer, too." I must say, they are good at it.

[ 03-29-2003, 10:42 PM: Message edited by: NormMessinger ]

George Roberts
03-29-2003, 10:41 PM
I think the problem is that too many of the people here took debate in school. Too many of those people are confused by the winner of the debate being a debater not one side of the issue being debated.

The purpose of a debate is to understand the other side. This understanding often leads to a softening of a position. It is intended to bring the two sides together not to push them apart.

It takes very little experience to determine that a debate without a judge can be "gamed". One simply refuses to soften his position, changes the debate topic, and abuses the other side.

The current topic of abuse is the war because no one on this board has any say in the direction of the war (or peace) and the direction can turn real nasty real quick.

... turn off the lights so we can curse the darkness.

High C
03-29-2003, 10:48 PM
Well put, George and Norm. It is getting difficult to ignore the deeply personal insults that are being lobbed. Thanks for your gentlemanly approach. smile.gif

Wild Dingo
03-29-2003, 11:11 PM
I gotta agree with you Tom... and Norm

Ive also watched this part of the forum deteriorate rapidly... and watched as many people wander away disgusted tired irritated or whatever... many of the international forumites no longer post to this section and some are even avoiding the other sections and the forum itself.

Its a sad thing... I suppose for me at this present stage of forum deterioration is the question of do I remain or do I also walk away? Thats a choice Im in the processes of making as I read through the latest posts.

Was a time when this misc section was a sort of place of refuge for many a place where mates from all over could sit and take a bit of a light hearted look at the world and their place in it... this is no longer so...

Like many here Ive enjoyed my time and the comeraderie of so many good people from here at home and from all over the world on the woodenboat forum... no longer do I anticipate the good humor for mostly it is gone... no longer do I anticipate the banter for mostly its insult and denigration... and no longer do I enjoy the misc section of the forum for it is not what it was...

Progress? no its mostly regression into the basest of human communication... and that can give none any enjoyment other than those who care not one wit for anothers view feeling or beliefs.

There are still those aboard who are still the same and hold forth their integrity and sensibilities... sadly there are those who have cast that aside.

Concordia..41
03-29-2003, 11:21 PM
Ok here we go with a debate.

I don't think for a second that the WB Forum sucks, but Misc. Non-Boat Related aka Misc. War Related aka Misc. Curse Word Education Related aka Misc. Hate and Venom Related do however suck and suck largely.

If there's any one thing we can agree on, its that fact that there is a wealth of information and a host of valuable intelligent people that participate in the other areas of the Forum.

- M

Peter Malcolm Jardine
03-29-2003, 11:22 PM
Hooray for Margo!! :D

Wild Dingo
03-29-2003, 11:34 PM
True Margo I dont think anyone would dispute that :cool: ... its just this section was a good place to come and kick back with your mates where insult and abuse rarely occured and was quickly removed when it did occur... now in the majority of cases thats not so. :(

Mr. Know It All
03-29-2003, 11:50 PM
Sigh :(

Scott Rosen
03-29-2003, 11:56 PM
You know, I still enjoy the same people I enjoyed before. It's just that now there's an awful lot of static.

ishmael
03-30-2003, 12:01 AM
Troubled folks, troubled times, it's still a good place.

My only advice--good advice that most can't seem to follow, including myself atimes--is to ignore the ignorant posts, and post more interesting things oneself.

It's only a few who can't seem to control their demons, and make for all the trouble.

Persian carpet weavers intentionally make a flaw in every carpet. Only God can make something perfect.

mmd
03-30-2003, 12:03 AM
Top three topics on the misc. non-boat forum today:

1.) Humor me (Longest-running thread on the forum)
2.) Oh Canada (condecending attacks on non-US forumites & their country in general)
3.) Congratulations to the Conservatives (vicious slandering of opposing US political ideologies)

Number of threads on first page related to terrorism / 9-11 or personal attack on other Forum member: 33 out of 50

Top three topics on the misc. non-boat forum a year ago:

1.)3-1/2 Hours (debating capital punishment in Texas)
2.) Smoker to Non-Smoker (collaborative support for Forum member trying to quit)
3.) Maine Boatbuilder Show (Forum members arranging to meet at the show)

Number of threads on first page related to terrorism/9-11 or personal attack on other Forum member: 0 out of 50

Obviously we are not mellowing with age.

Peter Malcolm Jardine
03-30-2003, 12:06 AM
The world is not very mellow at the moment either Michael... :(

Everyone should read the post that MMD put up on misc boat related on the girl who is trying to put to sea... I'm sending some dough along Mike... thanks for the post

Ed Harrow
03-30-2003, 12:33 AM
"People seem not to see that their opinion of [others] is also a confession of their charecter."

mmd
03-30-2003, 12:43 AM
What a perceptive quote, Ed. Where/who is it from?

(edit) Thanks, Peter. Going to sea and visiting other cultures at an early stage of one's adulthood is a very positive experience. It broadens one's intellect and character quite a bit. I was very fortunate to have had the chance when I was seventeen, and try to never pass up a chance to encourage young people to do the same.

[ 03-30-2003, 12:46 AM: Message edited by: mmd ]

Ed Harrow
03-30-2003, 12:55 AM
From the back of a menu at Becky's (???, not certain) Diner up in Portland, Maine. The actual author was Ralph Waldo Emerson.

There were some other good ones from the menu as well, here's a sampling:

"The test of a man's or woman's breeding is how they behave in a quarrel." but I don't think that has much bearing on this thread smile.gif (George Bernard Shaw)

Of course there is also this one:
"It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them" I managed to loose the source, and haven't yet had a chance to look it up. I don't think this one fits here either, LOL.

The last one - well maybe it doesn't belong here either ;)

"Let everyong sweep in front of their own door and the whole world will be clean." (Goethe, if I remember correctly)

doorstop
03-30-2003, 01:36 AM
"Most of the arguments to which I am a party fall somewhat short of being impressive owing to the fact that neither I nor my opponent knows what we are talking about."

R.I.Singer30
03-30-2003, 02:00 AM
:( I'm sorry to hear of disention among the ranks .I am new to the forum and have been enjoying the comments.It always hurts when your hanging about a bar and someone says this place sucks . But I've also learned that if you hang around long enough you may have the time of your life.Unfortunately this is a time of stress and uncertainty and maybe some insecurities are arising .? I do thirst for the comments from over seas or our neighbors to the north to give a view point that may enlighten or amuse.So I think I'll hang in and have another beer .I'm buyin. ;)

mmd
03-30-2003, 02:08 AM
R.I, I'm sorry to say that I'll take my Keith's beer over 'most every American commercial beer I've had opportunity to taste, but we don't make a bourbon that I know of, and I really like good sippin' whiskey, so I'll take you up on your offer if you'll make it a Wild Turkey.

Are you anywhere near Newport? I envy you - that area has to be one of the best places in the world for oogling fine yachts.

Art Read
03-30-2003, 02:15 AM
Don't worry, R.I. Some of these guys just got way too much time on their hands, and are too wrapped up in their own "idea" of what this place is, ought or used to be. It don't suck. At least no more than it did when they first found it, and no more than it will when they get bored and leave.

mic
03-30-2003, 02:51 AM
:confused:
Hi everyone my name is Libby, i'm married to Mic, i have tried to read most of the threads on WBF, i have never had the guts to write before, but i would read alot.Most you have helped Mic with the different types of questions he has had. When i first started to read the threads i thought "MY GOD" what an "OLD BOYS CLUB", but the more i read the more i realised that you were a great bunch of people that care & tried to help others with their problems, & just shared alot of their personal life & situations. Mic would come home for work and find me reading threads, he found this funny, because when he first joined the WB forum i would tell him that he spent to much time on the forum, but after a while i saw that the advise he was getting was helping him & making him less stressed by knowing that there was people that he could turn to for help. The last few weeks i have watched this FANTASTIC forum turn really sour,we all have our views & opinions about everything & anything, thats just life, & at the monment it seems to fragile and short to have TWITS that seem to thrive on hurtful & stupid things that they say to others. i log on every day just incase things have gone back to some kind of normal, as they were before. Some of you may say that i am a silly female, but i just had to have my little say. Sorry if i haven't used the correct terminology that you use on the forum, but hopefully i will get the chance to learn from the masters :D
GOD BLESS
Libby

Ian G Wright
03-30-2003, 02:54 AM
If we feel the need to take a stroll in the countryside to enjoy the simple pleasures thereof we should wear stout footwear, watch where we go and try to avoid the piles of poop, since poop piles are found here,,,,,,,, it's what makes the grass grow after all, but it is impolite to add our own poop to the poop piles , leave bull ****ting to the bull ****ters. They are but cattle after all,,,,,,,,,

IanW

Wild Dingo
03-30-2003, 03:20 AM
http://www.smilies.org/basesmilies3/1041834365.gif Cheers!!!

I shall take the road of
http://www.smilies.org/basesmilies3/1040775717.gif

when next a...
http://chacabaou.herzos.net/smiliez.de/smiliez.de_82.gif starts I shall be tryin to keep the... http://www.smilies.org/basesmilies3/196-8.gif and try to give everyone a big http://www.smilies.org/basesmilies3/1040775674.gif

Can we count the smilies??... http://www.smilies.org/basesmilies3/1040742993.gif http://www.smilies.org/basesmilies3/1040742993.gif

HA! gotcha Scot!! http://www.smilies.org/basesmilies3/1036303512.gif

Sorry Tom I just cant remain down when around my world the sun still shines and the hoons still smile

seafox61
03-30-2003, 03:26 AM
Ed
you reminded me of a twain quote " principles have no effect or force unless we are well fed. I find myself starved more and more of the freedom that america I was lead to belive provided when I was growing up. it seems mostly the only freedoms allowed are the ineffective ones. an early example occured in religion when the supream court in effect said " sure you can belive what you want but we'll still toss you in jail if you have more than one wife"

I do not quite understand how you can bring the oppisite sides to gether if one is right and one is wrong seems like mixing the two you get two wrongs not two rights. that being said It seems like a lot of wrong headed liberals here are nicer than the conservities. I have to admit that when I post it is with the hope I may persuadethose who have wrong idias to see the light. telling them they ar ..." incert insult here"... does not seem to be productive in that way
jeffery

Fitz
03-30-2003, 06:40 AM
I think the bilge is a direct result of all those harmless varnish odors.

TomFF
03-30-2003, 06:47 AM
This morning i got up and decided to delete this post. I expected a lot venom, but was pleasantly surprised. I don't believe the the WB forum sucks. If I did I wouldn't be here. In fact the WB forum has some great stuff in it. It's been hepful and illuminating.

But a lot the stuff here in Misc is at times mean spirited and sometimes downright offensive. I don't understand it. It certainly isn't very enjoyable.

I guess Ian's wright, and in the end I'll take his advice. But you should remember- boots won't stop you from being gored by a bull.

I know a while ago on the forum everything wasn't peaches and cream. And I participated in a couple of good but heated discussions- but in general they weren't vicious, full of foul language, etc.

Thanks for quote Norm (and the correction) Here's another quote:
"From the overflow of the heart of mouth speaks."

And for known offenders- cool down a bit. Go for stroll in the countryside. Read a poem, build a boat and get stuff out of your system.

Peace

imported_Steven Bauer
03-30-2003, 06:57 AM
I have been trying to stay out of the political threads - the warmongering is just too much. Some members that I used to respect have lost all credibility for me. :( Fortunately there are still lots of others here that still bring a great deal of good to the group.

Steven

Rex Fearnehough
03-30-2003, 07:17 AM
I have done a lot of soul searching in the last few days.
You see I sometimes think I may be part of the problem.
I can stand people arguing against my views but I do hate to see other people being bullied. My views often change when I see where I am going wrong, but these changes are through discussion not by abuse.
Am I too direct?
Would it be better not to tackle the villains?
I cannot answer these questions because I use my own established moral standards which bias my opinions.
Confused as usual.

Mrleft8
03-30-2003, 08:36 AM
There IS an "ignore" feature that you can use. If some individual's posts consistantly cause you discomfort, or irritate you just put them on your ignore list. VOILA no more irritants!

Wild Dingo
03-30-2003, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by Mrleft8:
There IS an "ignore" feature that you can use. If some individual's posts consistantly cause you discomfort, or irritate you just put them on your ignore list. VOILA no more irritants!THERE IS??? :eek:

But why would you do that? :rolleyes: even some of the worst on here do occasionally have a fit of such lucidity and brilliance that it would be a shame to miss it cause you got them on the ignore list! :cool:

Rex Fearnehough
03-30-2003, 08:48 AM
Mrleft8,
I must admit I had never thought of using the complaisancy/complicity button!
Maybe that is the answer.

Ian G Wright
03-30-2003, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by Rex Fearnehough:

Would it be better not to tackle the villains?
.In a number of cases yes, much better.
Don't get me wrong, I love a good argument, but plain name calling, as opposed to structured considered name calling ( smile.gif ), or low abuse is pointless in this medium. In other, less virtual (?) places a traditional punch in the mouth might be called for, but here we don't have that option. Best, or at least better, to ignore the idiots and trolls. Does the Queen wrinkle the royal nose when her horse farts? No she does not,,,,,,,, rise above it and it becomes as sounding brass and tinkling cymbles or something close to that.
Which is why I have given up on war and politics for the duration.

IanW. smile.gif

Dutch Rub
03-30-2003, 08:55 AM
there I was throwing my cast net tying to catch bait enough so I could fish for the remainder of the week and along comes this big buxom lass and she ws wearing one of them newfangled pinstripe bikinis or is that dental flossed thongs? or whatever but up to me she does mince and she says to me "Your Royal Rubness Sir, my husband has run away with the circus and I seem to have gotten a crust of bread stuck in my toaster and I cant get it out can you help me?" as she stares at the remainder of the eggs over easy breakfast that have soiled my button down shirt and tie........

Scott Rosen
03-30-2003, 09:18 AM
Ian, yours are words of wisdom, and you are setting a good example.

Rex Fearnehough
03-30-2003, 09:20 AM
Ian,

Best, or at least better, to ignore the idiots and trolls. Have I really been guilty of name calling?
I still don't know what a troll is. It seems to be a name that is attached to anyone who has a different opinion than the others.
I may have used the name idiot at times but certainly not often.
I have posted my opinions on the attitudes of certain abusive people. I have told a person that I considered him a vehement, pompous prig.
Is that name calling?
I address people by their names.
I don't want to punch anyone on the nose, but I am willing to throw decent language at them.
If the words are untrue, I hope that I will not post them. If they are later found to be untrue I will apologise publically and sincerely, then delete them.
As for the Queen and her horse, I would like to know what the horse thinks when she, farts.

Mrleft8
03-30-2003, 09:23 AM
It may not work... I've never tried it. But, it IS there... I have my own personal "ignore" feature. I just ignore the ones that annoy me. Kinda like real life, but easier.

D
03-30-2003, 09:35 AM
It's very easy to get caught up in discussions here. What makes it difficult is the lack of inflection and tone. It is sometimes difficult to decifer humor from blatant jabs. I have been caught up in several heated discussions on this forum which could have remained quite civil if not for several instigators that loved to stir the pot. For some, the bilge is a place to go and have some good fun chatting with others. For others, the bilge is a very important part of their life. Make it fun! :D

Bruce Taylor
03-30-2003, 10:00 AM
Any environment will support some kinds of life, but not others. The bilge, for whatever reason, is no longer able to sustain such distinctive life-forms as Cleek, Dave Fleming, and John R. Smith. Ian M. and Ed Harrow seem to be having trouble breathing the air here. At the same time, conditions seem to be ideal for vindictive little men with political obsessions.

I don't think that is going to change unless lots people start generating lots of threads that encourage fellowship instead of division.

Sam F
03-30-2003, 10:32 AM
Ish said: “Persian carpet weavers intentionally make a flaw in every carpet. Only God can make something perfect.”

What a concept! That’s something I would never have come up with. :eek: I can’t imagine my work ever being good enough to actually have to build in flaws. What an ego booster that must be! :D

Well we have flaws aplenty here and no need to build any in.

I was wondering when a thread like this would start. I almost started one like it myself last night… but feared, as Tom did, that it would only encourage more abusive language.

George’s comment about debating is on target. There are a few here who simply must “win” regardless of the cost. Their hyper-competitiveness lowers the tone of the entire forum and breeds resentment and causes bitterly sullen responses from those exposed to such contempt. I can’t remember who said it but … “Contempt causes insanity” has some bearing here. I would rephrase it as “Contempt causes insane behavior” or at least neurotic behavior. One can never convince any opponent of the value of a point of view with foul language and insults. Any attempt to do with an expectation of success is simply crazy.

Rex’s question on what constitutes a “troll” is one I’ve wrestled with a few times. The term is so loosely used that it could easily apply to anyone holding a firm opinion and who is willing to state it. I think a better definition is of someone who couldn’t care less what position he takes so long as it goads others into conflict. There are a few of those here, but it’s important to remember that behind every troll is a real human being. One who may very well grow out of such juvenile behavior if properly encouraged. Foul language is a poor way to do so.

Such obscenities are a counterfeit of argument and can only make a good argument degenerate into a common quarrel.

And to those who simply want to be offensive, remember that this forum is a public place viewable by anyone not the back room of some low class bar. Do you act this way in public? If so, I truly pity those condemned to share the same space.

[ 03-30-2003, 10:34 AM: Message edited by: Sam F ]

J. Dillon
03-30-2003, 10:40 AM
From my perspective the Forum is a victim of it's own success .....It's gotten too big. Well on the way to 7000 members with probably over 100 or so actively posting some on an hourly basis. For the life of me I cannot figure how they function with the rest of their life. The things that absolutely have to be done in our daily living. I'm retired and can't keep up with it. Perhaps I'm retarded reading all the posts simply takes up too much time.

For a variety of reasons the bilge here is the most interesting as the subjects are varied but when the nastiness, threats etc. start I log off and retreat to more productive use of my most precious commodity TIME. I find it a waste when the rocks start flying here. I long for posts like the discussion on creationism. The Forum at it's best IMHO.

I guess a vacation from here like Joe is taking might be a good solution for all of us once in a while.

JD

Mr. Know It All
03-30-2003, 10:43 AM
Am I too direct?
Would it be better not to tackle the villians?If everyone asked themselves these questions before posting, the forum would be a better place. I am guilty of trying to tackle the villians too Rex and all I've managed to do (even though my intentions were good) is make an arse of myself. I will at least try to learn from my mistakes and not repeat them.

Peace---> Kevin in Ohio

P.S. for the record I don't think the forum sucks either. It just needs our help. smile.gif

Rex Fearnehough
03-30-2003, 11:59 AM
I strongly feel a withdrawal coming on.
I have enjoyed the forum and have met some nice people here and I am happy about that.
Villains I feel that I can deal with, but I cannot deal with complaisance.
I joined your club so it is not my wish to change the rules so, maintain the status quo.
I will make it public because that is what is deserved. People are leaving the forum daily.
The forum can only stand as long as folks want it too.
It could be a good forum.
Make it so.

NormMessinger
03-30-2003, 12:04 PM
Dang it, Sam. You usurped my favorite quote from above: Only God can make something perfect. I was going to ask Ish for an example but you put it to better use so I wont. tongue.gif

Cecil Nickerson
03-30-2003, 12:06 PM
Thanks Bruce, kind of along my line of thinking.

Dutch Rub
03-30-2003, 12:19 PM
so I look up from my grease splattered egg yolk stained tie and gaze insipidly into her vermilliom shaded eyes and says "a crust of toast?" "stuck in yur toast maker?" Well mates that must of been the answer shed been longing to hear from the likes of me, cause the next thing I know she whipped off..........

B. Burnside
03-30-2003, 12:36 PM
Libby, welcome to the forum. After a while you can tell what is going to be garbage by who is posting, and it becomes easier to ignore.

There are some really interesting, thoughtful people here. You get to know them by name too.

Cheers,

Barbara

Mr. Know It All
03-30-2003, 12:37 PM
Dutch......this is "The Woodenboat Forum" not "The Penthouse Forum". :eek: You musta clicked on the wrong link pal.

So...... uh......what happened next? :D

m poulin
03-30-2003, 01:14 PM
The forum was meant to be an entertaining exchange of ideas and it still is to some extent but as Norm said, you have to dig deep.

Was a time we could come here and instantly find decency, civility and a rich and open debate akin to finer things such a Merlot and brie. Now all we mostly find is a coarse blend of bland blahblah à la pepsi and kraft diner.

Oh well, I'll keep digging for pearls

Cheers

Maurice

Ian G Wright
03-30-2003, 01:17 PM
Ian,
]Have I really been guilty of name calling?,,,,,,
As for the Queen and her horse, I would like to know what the horse thinks when she, farts.You? No I don't think so, you did let on that some things matter to you which seems to attract the bottom feeders but on the whole, not.

And Her Majesty never farts, She has someone to fart on her behalf, should that be needed ,,,,,,,,

IanW.

Pearl
03-30-2003, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by m poulin:
The forum was meant to be an entertaining exchange of ideas and it still is to some extent but as Norm said, you have to dig deep.

Was a time we could come here and instantly find decency, civility and a rich and open debate akin to finer things such a Merlot and brie. Now all we mostly find is a coarse blend of bland blahblah à la pepsi and kraft diner.

Oh well, I'll keep digging for pearls

Cheers

MauriceHint, you should look around an Oyster.

Hughman
03-30-2003, 02:22 PM
Welcome, Libby, I enjoyed your comments. Please become a regular to the bilge.

I think many who are reading the forum are not posting because of the nature of the majority of current topics. Many take to heart a variation of the rule not to discuss politics, religion or other people's spouses.

Solution? Create more topics of general interest. The "Cleeks" of the forum are reading, as are the non-US contributors-they are just not interested in promoting mindless harangue.

Dutch Rub
03-30-2003, 02:29 PM
....the cover of the little wagon contraption shed been pullin up the pier-well I take a sly gander into the conveyance and there inside is this old fashion 2 slice pop it up yourself toast maker sitting all by its lonesome in a pile of crumbs( kind of like me) The lass proceeds to give me a leering smirk and says, "how about it kind sir?" Well missy, says I ............

[ 03-30-2003, 02:31 PM: Message edited by: Dutch Rub ]

thechemist
03-30-2003, 03:53 PM
I posted this on Ishmael's thread, and then read this one, and thought my reply there was even more appropriate here. So,

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by ishmael:
Once again, the WB forum is cause for sadness. People are leaving, there have been some really nasty things posted, and fierce loyalties toward political slants have disrupted cyber-friendships.

I would like to apologize to anyone I've offended with my opinions, sometimes carelessly stated. I'm going to follow Ian's lead and do my best to stay out of politics and war. There is enough in the world to be upset about without coming here for another dose of it.

The state of the world makes a poor excuse for some of the behavior we've seen, but it does offer explaination. It is a very difficult time, and I hope that with some distance people can be forgiving of the darkness we see here sometimes. If not forgiving, then at least understanding.

Jack
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have never been offended by anything you have posted, nor have most people here.

There are several breeds of trolls, who delight in inciting others to anger, pain, grief, fear and such.

There are some, who cannot recognize when a troll is messsing with them, and lose their tempers.

There are some who are rude and impatient, and cannot resist responding to baiting by trolls.

When you recognize someone as a troll, you may find it best to simply no longer respond to anything they post, nor to enter any thread they post.

All people have their shortcomings.

Be willing to experience anything, and be understanding of those who must make you wrong in order to make your viewpoint wrong.

Your viewpoints are welcome.

I add in this thread:

People respond to stress in different ways, but I think generally they become less tolerant of others.....especially when they lack an understanding of what is going on around them and react unthikingly.

The last few months have been clearly preparing for a war highly controversial to many, and especially in the last few weeks we all have been bombarded with more of "The Dangerous Environment" by the media.

Added to this is the fear, the uncertainty of possible terrorist acts on our own soil.

What cannot be discussed in an open forum is how the Department of Homeland Security is responding to such, but they are. You occasionally hear of some dastardly plot foiled. Many other successes go unreported. The environment IS being made safer. It just cannot all be reported, for we are at war. Eventually the enemy will be reduced to an ineffective level, and then will be many stories told.

Right now, though, this creates an internal pressure, an emotional stress within anyone. It is an entirely natural reaction to such pressures, to strike out at others. Many do not understand that external suppression causes them to react unthinkingly, and so do.

The best cure for this is to stop watching the war on television, and to stop reading about it in the newspaper. Try it for a few days, and you will discover your personal stress level goes down. Take a walk around the block and notice things. Go to a bookstore and buy a book. Walk there and back, or at least park a few blocks away.

What-the-heck, if you owned a boat or knew someone who did you might even go sailing.

Meerkat
03-30-2003, 08:50 PM
What cannot be discussed in an open forum is how the Department of Homeland Security is responding to such, but they are. You occasionally hear of some dastardly plot foiled. Many other successes go unreported. The environment IS being made safer. It just cannot all be reported, for we are at war. Eventually the enemy will be reduced to an ineffective level, and then will be many stories told.
This sounds like something out of Gobbel's "Information In A Modern Police State". It's got all the ingredients: valiant fighters in secret whose heroic struggle can't be revealed etc. etc. Dastardly plot? LOL

After the "enemy is reduced to an ineffective level", what do you do then - make soap?

Mr. Know It All
03-30-2003, 09:06 PM
He's right about it though Meerkat, we won't know anything about it, good or bad, until it's a done deal. I think the catch phrase used is "In the interest of National Security". If everyone knew what the hell was going on they(and us) wouldn't be very secure now would we.......ya folla?

Wild Dingo
03-30-2003, 10:12 PM
Sooooo... wheres Donny?? Huh?? I mean lookit that!! ol Chemist let rip with a huge dissertation and not a word from the sarge!! :eek: mmmmm it could even be said to be "long winded" "verbose" but nothin! ;)

HEY!! Heres a thought... I just guess he goes me cause Im special eh?!! :D Im cool? I make him thunk outside his box? tongue.gif HA!! :D

sorry fellas me weird mood got a bit carried away just then :rolleyes: I will try bedda next time :cool: ;)

R.I.Singer30
03-31-2003, 01:24 AM
Opinions are like A***oles and everybodies got one .I'm just glad to live in a time where Mr. Gores internet allows us to share them with the world.Freedom of speech is basically what our country is most proud of and I can take any viewpoint with a grain of salt.Some times when I feel I've been offended , a little cool off period lets me review what had expired and I may see things from the other side of the fence. As a novice musician I've done a number of "gigs" and have found that I have never been as good or as bad as someone told me I was. Keep smilin' thru the rain
Originally posted by mmd:
R.I, I'm sorry to say that I'll take my Keith's beer over 'most every American commercial beer I've had opportunity to taste, but we don't make a bourbon that I know of, and I really like good sippin' whiskey, so I'll take you up on your offer if you'll make it a Wild Turkey.

Are you anywhere near Newport? I envy you - that area has to be one of the best places in the world for oogling fine yachts.mmd ,A Wild Turkey it is then .I don't believe I've had Keith's beer but I'll keep it in mind.As a gentlemanly old parking lot sweeper(with a kiwi accent)that I met in Yarmouth N.S.,after a night of revelry, before we caught the ferry to Portland asked ..."You like beer ? "we said "yes". He said "beer is good". "Yes" . Then he said ,"You like beer" we said "yes"... this went on for twenty minutes.. I don't know why I remember these things but damn they make me laugh.It's not so much the destination but the journey. I prefer Sam Adams over Bud as far as beer goes ,and Dewers Scotch for rocket fuel. When I'm on tho water Bud goes dowm REAL easy though.Home brew is the most interesting. As to my locality to Newport. R.I. is basically a rectangular shape40 mi. by 60 mi.with a beautiful bay in the middle ,so everyone in R.I.is close to Newport .Yet there is a large percent of the population here that doesn't know there's an ocean here. Just like a vast number of the population in the U.S.thinks R.I. is part of New York( R.I. is a state for those of you who don't know ) In fact I just came back from Newport today the weather was crappy but most of the boats here are dry docked so you can get a better look at them. In the summer it's unbeleivable what comes through here or in New Harbour Block Island (also in R.I.) But enough of the geography . Welcome to Libby And keep those cards and letters comin.
smile.gif

Dutch Rub
03-31-2003, 08:34 AM
......his Rubness cant wait to help ye, but first I need some substenance as I pulled a tub of cottage cheese from the napsack on the back of my chair and my combination pocket knife, fork, spoon from betwixt my legs. Then I dug into the tub immediate like and began forking large gobs of the creamy elixer between my greedy lips......

R.I.Singer30
03-31-2003, 10:25 AM
Seems like Dutch Rub has an opinion ,or something... :rolleyes:

htom
03-31-2003, 02:43 PM
Welcome, R.I. and Libby.