PDA

View Full Version : Noman is an island, entire of itself.

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
11-30-2005, 08:48 AM
We may have learned this at school - or perhaps in later studies - but it's a fact which poses more questions than it provides answers.

Has it Bauxite mines?
Lat and Long?
Is Beer tax free?
Are there; Palm trees, Pelicans, Penguins or Polar Bears?
An Internet Cafe?
Did ever a Boston Whaler drop anchor in the bay then leave a message in a cask?
What kind of craft do the locals use?

Who among us has been there?

cedar savage
11-30-2005, 09:00 AM
We had lot's of Noman's land in the 'Nam, but it wasn't an island except sometimes it was.

Tristan
11-30-2005, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by P.I. Stazzer-Newt:
We may have learned this at school - or perhaps in later studies - but it's a fact which poses more questions than it provides answers.

Who among us has been there?Yup, about 25 years ago, took an inflatable into the "Caves," spent a night anchored in Benure Bay, a somewhat uneasy anchorage. Climbed the side of the Island there, looked down over the BVI, imagined buccaneers aplenty, photogtraphed blue footed boobies on the rocks along shore. Was chartering with Henry Rhodes and his wife Fiona de Groot, doing a sailing article for Adventure Travel. A year of so later they were bringing the ketch back north, lost her off Hatteras. Were taken aboard a freighter. Henry, his wife, and an injured crew member.

Hwyl
11-30-2005, 10:00 AM
There are quite a few. There's one in Massachusetts close to Martha's Vineyard. It's the progenitor of the Noman's land boat, otherwise not too much remarkable, it may have been a bombing range.

The one in the BVI is No rman's Island, and is the inspiration for Treasure Island, most of the treasure coming in the form of fat tourists these days. When I did my daysailing there, I'd swim in the cave, climb on arock and shout "Do not invade my cave" as the bareboaters rowed in. I was obnoxious in tose days too.

So which No man is for you. I think the RN Cartographers were of limited vision when naming things, "Nonsuch" is another oft repeated joke.

P.I. Stazzer-Newt
11-30-2005, 08:02 PM
The RN cartographer best known cock-up is the mythical island at 57 35' North 13 48' West.

You can imagine the scene: Some poor shore-bound radio operator -

Position: 57 35' North 13 48' West.

Report: {Hiss/Squeal}dahdit dahditdah ditdah ditdahditdit ditdahditdit
Transcribed as ??CKALL - thats got to be ROCKALL.....

Hwyl
11-30-2005, 09:52 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/alabaster/A755787