PDA

View Full Version : Making Thwarts

Alan Peck
03-13-2002, 09:34 AM
I am building a 15' runabout. The plans call for two thwarts 12" wide and one 15" wide.

I am looking for advice on making these thwarts.
Which is better, to make the thwarts out of several widths of 3 to 4 inch wide lumber glued together or to use 3/4 inch plywood with about an inch of solid wood glued to each edge? Or is either method about the same? There will be two, 3/4 by 1 3/4 inch stiffeners under the thwarts

The thwarts will be painted not varnished.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

ACB
03-13-2002, 10:14 AM
Edge glue the stock to get the width, if you cannot get a board of those widths (you may be able to). The plywood will be wasting 50% of its strength in the fore and aft direction, doing no sort of good at all, it will be heavier than solid lumber, and less resistant to dings and scrapes. (If you were making a door, I would offer just the opposite advice, because in that situation you want the dimensional stability of ply).

If you slightly relieve the underside edges of the thwarts they will not only be a little lighter, but they will look a lot lighter.

If possible, rather than run stiffeners across under the thwarts, fit a post, stepped on the keelson, at the mid point of the thwart - saves weight and adds stiffness. The post need only be 1" square to do the job.

gert
03-13-2002, 10:14 AM
how long are they and what do you weigh? Personaly I would prefer the solid, you can get a smoother finish on it. If they are only 3/4 thick try and make them edge grain and perhaps put a 1x2 on edge stiffener down the center on the bottom face.

Ian G Wright
03-13-2002, 02:50 PM
Please can I tell my thwart joke?
Can I? Please? Just one more time?

IanW.?

TomRobb
03-13-2002, 02:54 PM
How thwart was it? :D

Scott Rosen
03-13-2002, 03:53 PM
What ACB said.

Ian G Wright
03-13-2002, 08:29 PM
Once more and then I'll quit, I promise,,,,,,,,

Q. What are Thwarts?

A. What Thailors get on their fingerth fro
m handling frogth and toadth,,,,,,,,

I'm sorry,,,,, no,,,,, I realy am,,,,, honest.

IanW.

Alan Peck
03-13-2002, 10:14 PM
Thanks for the responses. To Custom Skiffs, your pictures look great. The width and length of the thwarts I need are virtually the same as the ones you made.However, I am afraid I did not quite follow the description of how you made them. Could you clarify it a little bit for this amateur?

Thanks.

TomRobb
03-14-2002, 10:38 AM
Frogth? Ugh :rolleyes:

NormMessinger
03-14-2002, 10:49 AM
Think or thwim, Ian. Think or thwim.

--Norm

Ian G Wright
03-14-2002, 12:31 PM
Sorry, it was a 'joke' told to me by the six year old son of an old pal,,,,,,, about thirty years ago.Still gives me hysterics,,,,,,,,

Coincidentaly, the frogth have thtrewn thpawn around our garden pond, been there three dayth, thtrange eh? Thoon we will have tadpolth.

IanW.