PDA

View Full Version : Measuring up a craft

GraemeT
07-24-2001, 05:16 AM
Hi. I have found an old boat that was built in 1888 that was built by my family. It is sitting on a trailer in pretty bad condition in a shed miles away. The boat is approx. 28 feet in length and has a counter stern, and a fairly straight bow.She is of Carvel construction. She is very beamy as she used to be sailed under "gaff rig" I wish to take measurements off this boat so as I can build another one, as I don't own her any more. Is there a tried and proven simple way to do this. Next question is "strip planking" construction a similar way of building this type of boat, and should it be built upside down or right way up. How do I get started.
Thanks ,Graeme Thomson.

Classic Boatworks - Maine
07-26-2001, 06:08 AM
Taking the lines off ... there have been several articles in WB over the years. Go to www.woodenboat.com (http://www.woodenboat.com) and search the index.
Strip plank construction would work well. Building her upside down or right side up is entirely up to the builder. Usual factors are ... Upside down is easier to work on but you must have equipment to turn it over. At 28 feet you will need a crane or something.
Go for it! http://media5.hypernet.com/~dick/ubb/smile.gif

ken mcclure
07-26-2001, 07:57 AM
You'll find that you probably can strip-plank that type of boat, but it'll require some changes to the framing. You would most likely be best served to take the dimensions you create to an experienced designer or architect and have him or her suggest the modifications for strip planking.

By the way, when you do take the lines of her and measure the backbone and framing and all that, examine the framing for structural problems. Look particularly for cracks across frames which COULD indicate either an undersized frame or at least the need for gussets, for instance. If you are going to go to the trouble of building a new one, you may as well eliminate any possible defects from the old one.

After several years of research and yakking with experienced people and reading the info from this forum, I'm of the opinion that when I build a larger boat (current project is 19'9") it'll probably be either carvel or double-planked. I really like the finished look of strip planks, but am a little concerned about "down the road" maintenance and repairability.

Keep us posted on your progress -- please! And take PLENTY of pictures!!!!!