PDA

View Full Version : removing cabin from deck - how to?

jaykimball
01-12-2004, 11:54 PM
I have a 1960 Cheoy Lee Frisco Flyer. The teak cabin is leaking at the joint with the deck. Previous owners had applied a teak shoe moulding seated in sealant around the perimeter but it's leaking now. I want to pull all that out, and lift off the cabin to clean things up, inspect and reseal.

Inside the cabin, I see screws that go through the side of the cabin into the deck frame. So I presume that the foot of the cabin is rabbeted to sit upon the deck and wrap around the inside edge of the deck and frame. Yields a nice clean look.

So I guess the question I have is what was common practice at Cheoy Lee, and maybe in general for attaching the cabin? Is it just screws, or might there be glue, sealant. etc? What is best way to remove it, and what is best way to reseat it?

Any thoughts on how to do this are welcome.

Thanks, jay

Nicholas Carey
01-13-2004, 12:48 PM
First, are you sure you need to remove the cabin? Your leaks are more than likely caulking problems in your deck. Removing the cabin is rather more work than you think.

Usually, the cabin is landed on the underlying deck framing. It just sits on the framing, not rabbets involved. The cabin opening is framed in with 2 carlins, framing members running fore-and-aft and 2 beams, framing members running athwartships.

It's normal to fasten the cabin down with a bunch of drifts, a length of bronze or steel rod, threaded on each end run through the cabin sides from the top to the bottom, on both sides and the cabin ends.

The screws you see on the inside of the cabin that appear to " go through the side of the cabin into the deck frame" are, in all likelyhood, there merely to fasten in the fascia (trim) on the inside of the house. Once you remove the fascia— do it very carefully as it's easy to damage.

Once the fascia is removed, you'll more than likely be able to see the ends of the drifts in the underside of the deck carlins and beams.

Theoretically, removing the house should just be a simple matter of unbolting the house drifts and lifting the house off the deck. Famous last words. :D

Often, there is a molding, usually a quarter-round or a cove, running around the outside of the house at the deck. Sometimes, of course, the molding is integral to the house.

This is especially common if you have canvas decks that have been renewed, as the deck canvas is usually laid down prior to installation of the house. When renewing the old canvas, then, the house should obviously be removed. Mostly the old canvas will be cut at the edge of the house. The new canvas will be installed with the house in place and the edge of the canvas run up the sides of the house a bit. The molding will be installed to cover the edge of the canvas and the nails/staples holding it in place.

If the above is true, then, the molding has to be removed, prior to removal of the house, and the deck canvas released. And now, of course, you may be looking at replacing the deck canvas, as well :eek: Things on wooden boats always take longer and are more complicated than they appear.