PDA

View Full Version : Best Fruit Cake Ever

Greg H
11-18-2001, 09:53 AM
BEST FRUIT CAKE EVER

Not only for Christmas, but all year long!

1 cup butter
1 tsp. salt
lemon juice
1 cup sugar
4 large eggs
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup dried fruit
nuts
1 tsp. baking pow
1 or 2 quarts Whiskey
1 tsp. baking soda

Before you start, sample the whiskey to check for quality. Good, isn't
it? Now go ahead. Select a large mising bowl, measuring cup, etc. Check
the whiskey again as it must be just right. To be sure whiskey is of the
highest quality, pour one level cup into a glass and drink it as fast as
you can. Repeat.

With an electric mixer, beat 1 cup of butter in a large fluffy bowl. Add
1 tsp. of thugar and beat again. Meanwhile, make sure that the siskey is
of the finest quality. Cry another cup.

Open the second quart is necessary. Add the 2 arge eggs, 2 cups dried fruit
and beat till high. If druit gest stuck in the beaters, juse pry it loose
with a drewscriver. Sample the whiskey again, checking for toxscisticity.
Next sift 3 cups of the salt or anything: it really doesn't matter. Sample
the whiskey. Sift 1/2 pint lemon juice.

Fold in chopped butter and strained nuts. Add one babblespoon of the brown
thugar, or whatever color you can find and wix mel.

Grease oven and turn cake to 350 degrees. Now pour the whole mess into the
coven and ake. Check whiskey again, and go to bed.

ken mcclure
11-18-2001, 12:05 PM
http://media5.hypernet.com/~dick/ubb/biggrin.gif

My family's recipe is similar, except when you've finished the whiskey, you throw away the cake without baking. No sense wasting the gas.

JDD
11-18-2001, 12:15 PM
Granny used clear whiskey that came in a jar in her cake. She always would say that using the brown whiskey that grandaddy drank, if cooked too long would make the cake too dark. Never could figure that one out when I was small. Great recipe

Kermit
11-19-2001, 01:20 PM
That one sounds like fruitcake for those who loathe fruitcake. But for the REST of us who really LIKE really GOOD fruitcake, there is none, absolutely none, finer than Emily Dickinson's Black Cake. Finest there is. Absolutely. Fer sure.

http://www.geocities.com/edickinson2002/blackcake.html

I'll come help you eat it...

Greg H
11-19-2001, 01:33 PM
The recipe was passed on from an email.
I have to admit I don't eat usually eat fruit cake because the ones I encounter are generaly nut heavy and I don't get on well with nuts anymore.
Kermit, that recipe you posted looks like it is truly worthy of the title.

Art Read
11-19-2001, 02:08 PM
Always wondered how the company that made those little rectangular blocks of Fruit cake with the red and green plastic wrappers ever stayed in business. I'm convinced that we and the various distant cousins we exchanged 'em with just took down last year's off the top of the fridge where it had been sitting all year, dusted it off and rewrapped it to send back. Be pretty embarrasing to find the company HAD gone out of business twenty years ago. Better check that this year....

Chadd Hamilton
11-19-2001, 02:54 PM
Art, I just picked up a brick of said fruitcake over the weekend, but can't recall the name. Thuely the Big Mac of friutcakes, that puppy will put the hurtin' on your belly!

JDD
11-19-2001, 03:50 PM
Claxton Fruit cake company in Georgia has pretty good cake. But this year you may not wish to travel with it on a plane. I do believe it could be considered a deadly weapon. It comes in about a twelve to fourteen inch, 1 1/2" thick block for easy cutting and finger food eating size. I believe it comes in the red and green wrapper.

John Gearing
11-19-2001, 08:15 PM
When I was a wee lad Dad build himself a little centerboarder that proved a bit too tender. No worries, though, he just convinced Mom to bake up a a couple dozen tins of her fruit cake, secured'em in the bilge (notched over the frames of course so as not to strain the planking) and that little boat rode steady as a church! A-yuh.

paladin
11-19-2001, 08:58 PM
Am I the only person to notice there would be no cake...there's no flour in the recipe...........booze or no booze.....

Scott Koverman
11-19-2001, 10:42 PM
That's the point! You wouldn't have any fruit cake so it is the best fruit cake ever!!! It won't be too hard or dry or used as balast.

Ho! Ho! Ho! Happy Holidays!

htom
12-02-2002, 04:14 PM
Resurecting old thread to thank Kermit for the link to the Emily Dickinson Blackcake. I made these last year, and they were great. (Even better if you use a half pound of chopped dates and a half pound of raisins for the pound of raisins specified.)

Alan D. Hyde
12-02-2002, 04:18 PM
Cover each slice with a good brandy, or with Cointreau, just before serving.

It adds vitamins, and the alcohol kills any germs.

It doesn't hurt the taste either.

Alan

John Bell
12-02-2002, 05:07 PM
Claxton Fruit Cakes isn't in busines anymore. They baked enough to fill the demand and went out of business. People get them for a gift one year, put it in the fridge, and pass it along to someone else the next year. No one ever eats them, they just pass them along. smile.gif

(There's such a thing as GOOD fruit cake? :confused: )

Memphis Mike
12-02-2002, 05:15 PM
Yeck! Yuck!!!!! Patooie! I hates the stuff!
Barf.

Dave Fleming
12-02-2002, 05:27 PM
Yahoo! Thanks for the heads up on Claxton.
In my cargo shoring days, the company I worked for had a dispatcher from the Claxton family. At Holiday time we all got nice big fruit cakes and it was ***aces***! Simply the best fruit cake I have ever eaten. Beats the hell out of all those others you get year after year.
Now gotta get SWIMPAL to order one or two as we will be home for Christmas and New Years.

Fruit Cake (http://www.claxtonfruitcake.com/)

Memphis Mike
12-02-2002, 05:36 PM
:D donn.

John Bell
12-02-2002, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Dave Fleming:
Yahoo! Thanks for the heads up on Claxton.
In my cargo shoring days, the company I worked for had a dispatcher from the Claxton family. At Holiday time we all got nice big fruit cakes and it was ***aces***! Simply the best fruit cake I have ever eaten. Beats the hell out of all those others you get year after year.
Now gotta get SWIMPAL to order one or two as we will be home for Christmas and New Years.

Fruit Cake (http://www.claxtonfruitcake.com/)Uh, I was kidding...

gunnar I am
12-02-2002, 08:37 PM
Might wanna make them fruitcakes, tater shaped, so people can launch em from there tater guns!

On Vacation
12-02-2002, 09:45 PM
Yes, I heard they went to New Zealand. It was in our local paper here. I had one shipped in this week though.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid41/pd611c45da318101a24dfdec256ed85a6/fcfa840d.jpg

James R
12-03-2002, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by gunnar i am:
Might wanna make them fruitcakes, tater shaped, so people can launch em from there tater guns!Careful gunnar! A fruit cake firing tater gun might be considered a deadly weapon. Imagine the damage one of those could do. Wouldn't want anyone getting in trouble with the powers that be. :D :D

Garrett Lowell
12-03-2002, 04:03 PM
Someone will bake a GOOD fruitcake as soon as they figure out how to film a GOOD chick-flick. Until then, I'll keep a lookout for the Yeti and Nessie. smile.gif

Jim H
12-03-2002, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Kermit:
But for the REST of us who really LIKE really GOOD fruitcake, there is none, absolutely none, finer than Emily Dickinson's Black Cake. Finest there is. Absolutely. Fer sure.Kermit I totally agree. My Grandmother used to make fruitcake every Christmas. Last year I decided 10 years was enough, if no one else would pick-up the torch I would. E.D.'s fruitcake recipe was the one I made (no one could find Grandmom's), best fruitcake I ever ate. It would'nt be the holidays without one.

Jim

htom
11-11-2004, 12:19 PM
The link for the excellent Emily Dickinson Blackcake has gone dead; I've resurrected a copy from the Wayback Machine and put it here. Make it this weekend or next for use at Christmas time; keep the wrapped cakes in the back of the refrigerator.

I sometimes use a half pound of chopped dates for a half pound of the raisins.

---

Emily Dickinson's
Black Cake Recipe
updated for modern kitchens

Place a shallow pan of water on the bottom of the oven. Preheat oven to 225 F.

2 cups sugar
1/2 pound butter
5 eggs
1/4 cup molasses
2 cups sifted flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cloves
1 tsp mace
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 nutmeg, ground
1/4-1/2 cup brandy
1 pound raisins
2/3 pound currants
2/3 pound citron

Add sugar gradually to butter; blend until light and creamy. Add unbeaten eggs & molasses. Beat well. Resift flour with soda and spices. If you're using unsalted butter, add 1/2 tsp salt.

Beat sifted ingredients into mixture, alternately adding brandy. Stir in raisins, currants, and citron.

Pour batter into two loaf pans lined with waxed paper.

Bake at 225 F for 3 hours (this is not a typo). Remove pan of water for last 1/2 hour. Let loaves cool before removing from pans.

Remove paper and wrap in fresh paper.

The submitter's notes from experience:

Keep the water pan 1 inch full; otherwise, you'll have a black brick.

I find that kitchen parchment works better than waxed paper. This cake is so rich, you'll think you're tasting heaven (well, of course you are). I usually use only half the listed amounts of raisins, currants, and citron -- and the cake still weighs a ton.

The longer the cake sits (in a cool, dark spot), the better it will taste. ED used to put hers in the cellar for a month, but I think 19th century people had a different attitude toward mold than we do ... :)

I've had great success with this recipe and make it every year on ED's birthday.

Additional note: Emily Dickinson: Profile of the Poet as a Cook is available from Jeffrey Amherst Bookshop for US$4.95 + US$2.00 shipping. If you're familiar with the letters, you already know that ED was quite a good cook!

Originally posted to the emweb e-mail discussion group in 1995.

High C
11-11-2004, 02:48 PM
The best I've ever had!

Gethsemani Farms (http://www.gethsemanifarms.org/fruitcake.asp)

http://www.gethsemanifarms.org/u_products/500.jpg

Chadd Hamilton
11-11-2004, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by High C:
The best I've ever had! HighC, you are correct! Our office recieved one of those fruitcakes and a box of the Trappist Burbon Fudge for Christmas last year. The fudge was ungodly delicious! I hope we get treated with it again this year.

Chadd

htom
12-12-2005, 03:44 PM
Bump to bring the Emily Dickinson recipe back up.

Venchka
12-12-2005, 04:53 PM
Shoot, anybody who knows anything about fruit cakes knows the best come from Collin Street Bakery in Corsicana, TX.

Collin Street Bakery (http://www.collinstreet.com/?gclid=CMHp6biL-IECFQUbLAodE3154g)

http://www.collinstreet.com/files/cover_christmas2005.jpg http://www.collinstreet.com/files/101-fruitcake.jpg

Wayne
In Texas. :D

htom
12-12-2005, 05:05 PM
I suppose I could make one in a tube pan and cover it with candied pecans and cherries in some kind of glaze.

Paul Pless
12-12-2005, 05:28 PM
Claxton Fruit cake company in Georgia has pretty good cake. I sometimes drive by that old place on my way to Richmond Hill, I always smile when I see the sign that says "Fruitcake capital of the World"

Dave Fleming
12-12-2005, 06:24 PM
;)

[ 12-12-2005, 09:29 PM: Message edited by: Dave Fleming ]

htom
11-19-2006, 11:41 AM
Bump; making these today.

Phillip Allen
11-19-2006, 03:37 PM
can you cast a pad-eye into them so they can be used as mooring anchors after the hollidays?

Phillip Allen
11-19-2006, 05:19 PM
laughing