PDA

View Full Version : Pocket Knives

Evan Showell
01-06-2006, 12:29 PM
At what age should a boy receive his first Swiss-army type pocket knife?

uncas
01-06-2006, 12:30 PM
Evan...just don't take it to the airport....I lost one that way...luckily...wasn't my rigging knife... :D

psss. to add...Got my first rigging knife at 10....about the same time as my foot could reach the start button and the gas pedal of our old Willeys Jeep.....hence...driving followed... :D

[ 01-06-2006, 12:32 PM: Message edited by: uncas ]

Popeye
01-06-2006, 12:32 PM
13 :D

[ 01-06-2006, 12:37 PM: Message edited by: popeye ]

uncas
01-06-2006, 12:33 PM
that hurt....

Alan D. Hyde
01-06-2006, 12:35 PM
A good one? Age 12 in our family. Along with a first .22 rifle.

For at least four generations.

Some Cub Scout knives earlier, however.

Alan

[ 01-06-2006, 12:40 PM: Message edited by: Alan D. Hyde ]

Gary E
01-06-2006, 12:36 PM
If he's a Cub Scout and dont allready have one or more he is deprived... or using YOUR's when ya dont know it.. smile.gif

ssor
01-06-2006, 12:51 PM
I can't remember when I didn't have a pocket knife. I know that I had and lost pocket knives long before I was in third grade in school. I wouldn't give a kid a really good knife until he stopped loosing plain ones.

uncas
01-06-2006, 12:55 PM
I got the pocket knife when I was ten...I lost it at BWI airport...forgot it was in my pocket....had it for 42 yrs....bummer
Now the rigging knife...that I saved as I dropped it in the car on my way to the airport...just forgot about having more than one pocket to check...

TomF
01-06-2006, 01:09 PM
I can't remember not having a pocket knife.

After working together on knife safety (e.g. in the kitchen, or with my pocket-knives) for ages, my youngest (7 1/2) got a Swiss Army Knife for Christmas this year.

It lives locked in my top drawer 'till there's something around which needs cutting ... and I'm there to do it with him. His older brother got his first knife (a fixed-blade Mora knife) at about age 9, and for 4 years now has been as perfectly responsible with it as I'd expected him to be.

Katherine
01-06-2006, 01:12 PM
Is giving a kid a knife a guy thing? To me it deosn't look like to good an idea. I don't know how the schools are in your area, but if he were to take it to school here, he'd be expelled.

uncas
01-06-2006, 01:14 PM
Hey...a rigging knife is not justa knife.....No one on a sailboat should leave home without one.... :D Hence...I've had mine for a very long time...actually should replace it...as the spike doesn't lock with any regularity..

Ed Harrow
01-06-2006, 01:24 PM
Stopping by cuz I've gotten a bunch of emails, lately.

I think I was ten. SWMBOjr was ten, we gave her a little lockback. Now she carries a whole-toolkit Leatherman (replaced the one that was removed from her luggage on her way back from somewhere).

I use my knife every day, from the usually mundane to the escape from the elevator. I feel like the emperor when it's not in my pocket.

Oh, should I point out that the reason I'm married is that I noted that SWMTMH (this was pre that state, of course) carried a pocket knife. I figured she had to be a good catch. Maybe you should troll with a pocket knife Katherine. ;)

uncas
01-06-2006, 01:27 PM
Ed...now a woman carrying around a rigging knife...that would open my eyes..... :D

TomF
01-06-2006, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by Katherine:
Is giving a kid a knife a guy thing? To me it deosn't look like to good an idea. I don't know how the schools are in your area, but if he were to take it to school here, he'd be expelled.Maybe it's a "guy thing," but it really depends on whether you see a knife as a tool or a weapon. I probably use different bits of my SAK at least 5 times/day, and more when I'm not at the office. My kids and I spend a lot of time outdoors, where a knife is immensely handy.

About the school expulsion thing ... times have changed. It was unthinkable for me or any of my mates to not carry a pocket knife ... It was, after all, a required piece of "kit" with the Cub Scout uniform, and we'd be fined if we showed up without one in good working order.

On the other hand, this year my daughter's grade 9 friends all gave each other minimal Christmas presents ... and one of the guys got a tiny Swiss Army Knife with a 1 1/4" blade, nailfile, toothpick and tweezers. He clipped it to his hat, along with all the other silly presents he'd received ... and was informed that the only reason he wasn't expelled is because he's a good student, and this was the first offence.

Ridiculous. A ruler, ballpoint pen, or stapler would have been a more effective weapon.

But a pen can't open a package, or cut string, or sharpen a pencil, or score a piece of cardboard for folding, or ...

Katherine
01-06-2006, 01:29 PM
I generally carry a pocket knife and small tool set in my purse. When traveling by air I often fed-ex tools & parts to my destination. Before I leave my car in airport parking I usually pat down myself and my luggage for any hidden items that might cause a problem. When I went to Nova Scotia, I ended up getting searched by the Canadian customs on the way back because I was carrying a tire pressure gauge.

Gary E
01-06-2006, 01:31 PM
There IS places in Philly where theyDO !!!

But I dont think that is the sorta gal you had in mind..

uncas
01-06-2006, 01:31 PM
Katherine...wish I had done what you do at airports...of course I don't like to be fondled....and it would look strange in a parkinglot....If I patted myself down... :D
Certainly not appropriate actions on my part....
Then again, I'd still have that pocket knife... :mad:

Rick Tyler
01-06-2006, 02:04 PM
Seven. At least that's when I got my first Cub Scout knife -- and when my boys got their's.

I recently found out that I was the only adult male in my family who didn't carry a penknife everywhere. I've gotten better now. I carry a little Gerber Clutch in the coin pocket of my jeans.

Keith Wilson
01-06-2006, 02:08 PM
Depends on the boy. Some are fine at seven, some I wouldn't trust with one at twenty!

ssor
01-06-2006, 02:16 PM
Around here a kid can get into trouble if his/her pencil is too sharp.

When I returned from the Philippines and cleared customs in Hawaii I was asked if I had anything to declare and I said that I had a .22 cal revolver, 500 rounds of ammno, a machetti, and a 35 mm camera. They told me I was all right go on home.
The year was 1962 that might have had something to do with it.

uncas
01-06-2006, 02:18 PM
ssor...think ya can leave most of those things at home now if ya go to the airport and fly anywhere... :D

Alan D. Hyde
01-06-2006, 02:26 PM
I can remember that, in fourth grade (1959), we played mumbly peg at recess quite a lot.

No one thought anything of it.

Alan

Rick Tyler
01-06-2006, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by Alan D. Hyde:
I can remember that, in fourth grade (1959), we played mumbly peg at recess quite a lot.Yeah. I carried a pocketknife all the time as a kid, and I'm about 8 years younger than you.

Strangely, if I walked in my son's high school with my little Gerber in my pocket, I would be committing a crime, but when I carry my toolbox into the school (loaded with sharp things) to help the Robotics team, no one says a word. Strange world...

Tristan
01-06-2006, 02:37 PM
As kids we always had knives at school, used them to open tropical almonds that were buried the the dirt around the huge trees that grew on one side of the school. Also played mumbleypeg with them. I don't recall anyone ever threatening anyone with a knife, though a boy who was being picked on did bring a 32 cal. revolver to school once. The bullies left him alone after that. I gave my son a tiny little two bladed pocket knife when he was 8 and he promptly slashed our sheet and matress with it. One of those inexplicable things that kids do (like them time I built a fire UNDER our wooden house to bake some potatoes). I was pretending I was in a cave. My dad burned my butt for that. ANyhow, my son never cut any bedding again and he now has a bunch of knives and guns (he's 15).

[ 01-06-2006, 02:39 PM: Message edited by: Tristan ]

TomF
01-06-2006, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Norman Bernstein:
*sigh* I have never owned or carried a pocket knife....

how did I manage to get through 54 years of life WITHOUT one? smile.gif Good grief, Norman ... where should I send it? ;)

ssor
01-06-2006, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Norman Bernstein:
*sigh* I have never owned or carried a pocket knife....

how did I manage to get through 54 years of life WITHOUT one? smile.gif I am amazed how often I am at Home Depot and see someone trying to figure out how to cut a piece of string.

Norman, in answer to your question, "not as well as you might have with one."

casem
01-06-2006, 02:48 PM
I agree it depends on the kid. Give him a small cheap knife of some sort, and if he can go a month without either cutting himself or losing it, get him the Swiss army knife.

Evan Showell
01-06-2006, 03:46 PM
He'll be 8 on Sunday. Think we'll hold off for another year or two. No thoughts of taking same to school, though I sure had one in school as a kid. As Tom so correctly points out, it's a tool, not a weapon.

MattL
01-06-2006, 03:54 PM
Hi All,
I'm new here and thought this would be a safe place for a first posting.
My older boy just turned 9. We gave him a little leatherman last year for his birthday, Dec 10, this year he got a BB gun for Xmas. My wife would never allow any type of gun in the house before, and this was her idea.
As a side note, when I got home from work Wedensday he came up to me and said he hoped I wouldn't get mad but he used the band saw to cut out a new sword for his little brother. I told him he did a good job, but it would be better if he used the saw when I was around. Fortunatly the wife didn't see him doing this.

Gonzalo
01-06-2006, 04:00 PM
I had a little key chain knife with maybe a 1/2 inch blade when I was about 5, and my dad let me use his barlowe knife with supervision at that age. I had a sheath knife at 7, but that was because my Mother made a mistake thinking that it was a toy because the waxed paper on the blade made it look like plastic. I never told her when the waxed paper wore off that it was a real knife.

My cub scout knife with locking blades came on my ninth birthday. So when my daughter asked for a pocket knife, I said wait 'til your ninth birthday. She was never much interested, though, so it sits in a drawer to this day.

peb
01-06-2006, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by TomF:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Katherine:
Is giving a kid a knife a guy thing? To me it deosn't look like to good an idea. I don't know how the schools are in your area, but if he were to take it to school here, he'd be expelled.Maybe it's a "guy thing," but it really depends on whether you see a knife as a tool or a weapon. I probably use different bits of my SAK at least 5 times/day, and more when I'm not at the office. My kids and I spend a lot of time outdoors, where a knife is immensely handy.

About the school expulsion thing ... times have changed. It was unthinkable for me or any of my mates to not carry a pocket knife ... It was, after all, a required piece of "kit" with the Cub Scout uniform, and we'd be fined if we showed up without one in good working order.

On the other hand, this year my daughter's grade 9 friends all gave each other minimal Christmas presents ... and one of the guys got a tiny Swiss Army Knife with a 1 1/4" blade, nailfile, toothpick and tweezers. He clipped it to his hat, along with all the other silly presents he'd received ... and was informed that the only reason he wasn't expelled is because he's a good student, and this was the first offence.

Ridiculous. A ruler, ballpoint pen, or stapler would have been a more effective weapon.

But a pen can't open a package, or cut string, or sharpen a pencil, or score a piece of cardboard for folding, or ...</font>[/QUOTE]Yes times have changed. When I was a kid on the farm, we always carried 22 rifles in the farm pickups. When I was in high school, the pickup I drove on the farm was the same one I drove to school. Yep, my brother and I had a 22 rifle in our vehicle in the school parking lot everyday for 4 years.

Pocket knife, I can't remember not having one either.

Knives were seen as tools and/or toys, definitely not seen as weapons.

Guns were the same.

ishmael
01-06-2006, 04:16 PM
It depends. smile.gif

I had little folders when ten. It was a bracing experience! A knife is a modicum of power and responsibility, the first, at least forty years ago, given to a child of suburbia. But a child of the farm or the ocean will be handling edges much earlier, five or six, as soon as they can use a utility knife to cut twine.

It depends on the maturity of the young man. But not only his...his companions', also.

Bringing a knife to a child, it's also vital to have some way to use it, together. Whittling wood, gutting fish, working rope; a cut finger or two good temper to the purpose; mumble-i-peg a different game afterward.

notwoodbut...
01-06-2006, 04:27 PM
Come on Evan, let the boy live a little! If he was in Cub Scouts he'd have one.

My boys now 9 & 11 each have small pocket knives and those multi-tool mess kit knives. Have had since about 8 years old. One of them uses the mess kit thing a couple nights a week at dinner. He thinks food tastes better when he uses it I guess.They know that they cannot bring these to school due to the apparent fear of mayhem and murder that pervades the general population.
They also use and have access to a wide variety of cooking knives, cleavers, and pizza cutters that I assure your are more dangerous than a pen knife.

I was going to go on a rant about the emasculation of society but I'll pass. If YOU think that he can be responsible then give him a decent but cheap knife you and he won't mind him losing. It's a good and safe step to responsibility.

Jim

Evan Showell
01-06-2006, 04:33 PM
Not afraid to let him live a little, Jim. He shows exceptional emotional maturity for his age. He's also pretty smart (he takes after his mother) We live in a somewhat rural area, but not on a farm. Because he's basically ambidexterous and is big for his age, his fine motor/coordination isn't superb. Plus we don't have a ready supply of projects for him to use it on. Perhaps the family's Summer trip to Maine will be the time to introduce a pocket knife. I first got one when we were spending Summers on an island off the Maine coast as a kid.

Jack -- you know which one!

ishmael
01-06-2006, 05:25 PM
Evan,

I forget, please tell us, if it pleases you.

I know roots are there, but I've forgotten the island.

Ritual. Whether giving a boy his first knife, or teaching him how to handle his first .22 carbine. Ritual.

The deconstructionists would deprive us of our ritual by screaming that they know the meme, the root. I say, "Well who cares if you know the root? Interesting, I'll listen, but the idea isn't the ritual.

[ 01-06-2006, 05:27 PM: Message edited by: ishmael ]

uncas
01-06-2006, 05:28 PM
posted 01-06-2006 05:25 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Evan,

I forget, please tell us, if it pleases you.

I kosw roots are there, but I've forgotten the island.

Ritual. Whether giving a boy his first knife, or teaching him how to handle his first .22 carbine. Ritual.

The deconstructionists would deprive us of our ritual by screaming that they know the meme, the root. I say, "Well who cares if you know the root? Interesting, I'll listen, but the idea isn't the ritual

Ish wrote this.....

Time to throw away the bottle...have no idea where you are coming from...root...roots...better be an oak tree...pines have shallow roots...

Meerkat
01-06-2006, 05:31 PM
Boys get a knife at 13 and girls get their starter makeup kit. You can see how the dice are already going to be loaded against the boys... ;) :D

htom
01-06-2006, 07:43 PM
Whatever age you are when you're a Wolf Cub Scout, is when I got mine. 8? 10? I don't really remember much of my life not having one, and the airplane thing is just silly or stupid or both.

First handgun at 13, maybe.

John Bell
01-06-2006, 08:06 PM
I've carried a knife practically every day since I was 8. Only time I don't have one is when flying and not checking bags. It really bugs me not to have one, too 'cuz they are so darned useful. I currently alternate between my SAK and a small plastic Gerber locking back. I've had each of them for at least 15 years and both are terribly mistreated for being such good friends.

The school thing, every time I visit my kid's school, I wonder if I'd be lead out in handcuffs if they knew I was packin' a lethal 2.5" blade. My son is getting ready to turn 7 and no way he's getting a knife until at least third grade. We're gonna teach my daughter, 9, to shoot a .22 bolt action rifle this year. I may give her a knife for her tenth birthday.

Meerkat
01-06-2006, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by htom:

First handgun at 13, maybe.Are you stark, staring MAD? :eek:

Let a kid go into the "hormonal years" with a HANDGUN?

No wonder we had Columbine!

Phil Heffernan
01-06-2006, 08:28 PM
Hey Matt L, welcome to the WBForum, the Bilge version, that is,proceed at your own risk ;)

Pocket knives are one thing, band saws another.

I personally LOVE knives, especially those amazing hand made pieces of art with signed steel and antler handles...Something mythic about 'em...Next to fire, the oldest tool (not counting rocks & sticks) is a sharp blade...

Hughman
01-06-2006, 08:30 PM
I got a Cub Scout knife at 8 or so, and carried it to school. I got a .22 at about 13, and would walk miles along a trunk road to get to the "plinking grounds"

Never considered perpetrating a Columbine.

Gave my girls a knife at 8, too. We have sharpening clinics regularly. they especially like the draw knife and spokeshave.

My oldest got a 3' sword. I don't mind if she takes it to school, either.

[ 01-06-2006, 08:32 PM: Message edited by: Hughman ]

Jagermeister
01-06-2006, 08:43 PM
Well, a Swiss Army knife has a few do-dads, that IMHO are pretty useless as screw drivers and what not, and I guess the newer one has a corkscrew, but who buys corked wine anymore?

If you want to get someone a pocket knife, my personal favorite is the Case Russlock. It locks, so is less likely to close on you when you are using it, can be opened and closed one handed, and has a blade that can be really useful. Comes in all types of nice handle materials. Check eBay for some really stunning types (MOP, turquoise, etc.)

[ 01-06-2006, 08:52 PM: Message edited by: Jagermeister ]

botebum
01-06-2006, 08:49 PM
My Dad gave me my first pocket knife at 8. I have not been without one for 34 years now. If I don't have one in my pocket I feel naked.

When I worked as boatbuilder in NY about 8 yrs ago we had a new kid(18) hire on. There was some situation where he needed to cut something so I told him to use his knife. He said he didn't have one. I was surprised and said "You don't carry a pocket knife!?" He stated that his parents were really against weapons. I just about sh*t my pants before I explained that it's not a weapon, it's a tool and every boy over the age of 8 or 10 should have one and know how to use it. We all chipped in and bought him a Case with 2 blades. His father stopped in one day to visit the shop and I told him he needed to buy his son a pocket knife. He said that he thought he already had one. I admitted that we had gotten him one but that his father should get him one. He agreed, said he would, and commented that his wife was probably gonna' raise hell about it.

Doug

Hal Forsen
01-06-2006, 08:59 PM
Been carrying a pocket knife since I can't remember when; I hate to admit it but sometimes depending on the situation; I may have my pocket knife, whittlin' knife and leatherman on me all at the same time! :eek:
HF

John Bell
01-06-2006, 09:14 PM
Judging from the responses, there's not a public school administrator or school board member among us.

L.W. Baxter
01-06-2006, 09:17 PM
I think I had one of those $1 Barlows by the time I was five or so. There really is no reason to not give a knife to a farmboy as soon as he can use it reasonably; there's so many other things that are more dangerous. I got hurt by cornstalks, homemade bows and arrows, firecracker stuffed apples, treehouses, bicycles, (gravel roads and hay bale jumps!) electric fences, rusty nails, pitchforks(!!!) horses, heifers, sows, even (as a toddler) that damn rooster that wouldn't leave me alone until dad finally clocked him on the front lawn. I cut myself a couple times but so what? I was more terrorized by a Rhode Island Red.

My boy is seven and he's got a Swiss Army knife he gets to use when we go camping, or when he whittles scraps while dad works in the shop. (I sometimes buy him old fashioned root beer in a bottle because he likes to use his bottle opener; no drink could be more satisfying). He keeps it in his sock drawer otherwise, I see him admiring it occasionally. My daughter has a knife too but she doesn't seem to care about it. So, yeah, I guess maybe it is a guy thing.

Chris Coose
01-06-2006, 09:26 PM
Just a couple days ago I let my wife know that if she has trouble figuring out what to get me for a gift, just go to the knife store and get me any kind of blade but begin with the folding ones.

Besides a small knife I've been carrying a fountain pen for the past 10 years. Ella has got a nice little swiss knife now. It is important to her only in that dad gave it to her and she sees that I value my folding stock.

I've got a couple of Buck folding knives that I've had since the early 70's. As posessions they rank up there with the boats, the triumph and my Limmer boots and shoes.

StevenBauer
01-06-2006, 09:55 PM
I don't really remember a time when I didn't have a pocket knife. My son got one at 10 then three years later, the night before her 10th birthday my oldest daughter announced that she was hoping to receive a pocket knife for her 10th birthday, too. Good thing LL Bean is only twenty minutes away and open all night! :D

Steven

Phil Heffernan
01-06-2006, 10:15 PM
Man. I'm goin' out tomorrow & get me a brand new pocket knife :D
Didn't know how much I needed one till this thread!

Don Olney
01-06-2006, 10:48 PM
I've carried a pocket knife since I was 7 or 8. I've got a bunch of them, but this is the one I carry all the time:

http://www.bladematrix.tv/ProductImages/C/CP-520.jpg
Silver Falcon by Compass Industries

The steel is 440 stainless made in Japan. Its very sleek and fits in a suit pocket as if it weren't even there. I have a leather lanyard on the handle.

StevenBauer
01-06-2006, 10:55 PM
Phil, if you're feeling flush Garrett Wade has these:

http://www.garrettwade.com/images/us//product/family/96K0510.jpg

Classic Hand-made Damascus Steel Folding Knife
With its 3" Damascus blade, White Bone and Ebony grips decorated with silver and gold plate detail, and the fine Salamandre pattern filed in the steel on the back of the knife (as shown), there can be no finer example of the craft, and it shares all the design details of the other knives.

The black Ebony and white Bone sections are joined by mortise and tenon. The Damascus blade is made with six layers each high carbon steel and nickel-based steel folded 12 times and then twisted before final heating and then oil-bath quenching.The decorative effect of all this hand work is dramatic and widely appreciated.

Each Damascus Knife will come with the hand stitched Leather Holster (shown on the left - Value $59.95) at no extra cost.

Steven

John Bell
01-06-2006, 11:40 PM
There ought to be a movement...

A movement to de-vilify pocketknives, to declare them once again to be useful tools and not nefarious weapons as nitwit school administrators and the TSA have made them out to be.

Who's with me? ;)

pipefitter
01-07-2006, 01:02 AM
I have an eye brand sodbuster style(favorite) with the wood handles and I also have a collection of older case sodbusters all with carbon steel blades.Now I carry one of the folding utility knives for work made by husky that I got from the home store. Also was allowed to have a knife since I was a youngster.

Here's the Carl Schlieper(Eye Brand) Sodbuster Jr.

http://www.toptexknives.com/images/eb-99JR_small.gif

I bought my own eye brand and the ex's grandfather one at the same time. His son in law dropped it in a well and he griped about it for years.I still have mine. The Solingen steel wears well.They are not perfectly built but I think is why I liked it beyond it's ability to hold a good edge.

[ 01-07-2006, 01:13 AM: Message edited by: pipefitter ]

htom
01-07-2006, 01:16 AM
Meerkat, I bought my second handgun at the ripe old age of 12. No paperwork, no forms, no serial number, paid cash. Wasn't considered a remarkable event at that time.

John Gearing
01-07-2006, 01:27 AM
dunno when I got my first one. Pretty young. They were all around the place. Dad had a couple favs, one on him all the time. Others in various odd drawers, tool chests, etc. Think my grand father collected them. Right age? Depends on the kid. I see some folks tying getting a knife into the idea that a useful purpose is a condition precedent. Best purpose I can think of is sitting around with Dad or Mom or both and everyone whittling on some sticks. Even in suburbia, must be some shrubbery around that would yield up a whittling stick or three. Sit out back in the sun on a late spring morning or a fall afternoon, tell stories, whittle, and sip pop. Finestkind times. Builds bonds and memories that don't break.

Mrleft8
01-07-2006, 08:14 AM
My grandfather had a shoe box full of pocket knives. Most of them had paper company, or newspaper logos on them. Most of them were very high quality (Schade, Buck, etc.) two were switch blades. Around my 8th birthday I was told to pick one (Switchblades were off limits). I was torn between a fairly large single blade one with Abalone sides, and a smaller 3 blade job, with"Compliments of Great Northern Paper Co." stamped into the side. I probably spent an hour deciding. I finally went with the smaller 3 blade one.
I lost it mowing the lawn the day before my wedding 5 years ago. I asked everyone at the wedding to keep their eyes peeled for it. It never appeared.... I replaced it with a little 3 blade Buck.
I still have the big single blade Abalone handled one which I got after grandpa died. I keep that in my suitcase for travel.

Bill R
01-07-2006, 08:45 AM
I too have carried one for as long as I can remember. My grandfather told me when I was very young to always carry 2 things- a bottle opener and a pocket knife. My usual compliment is a Gerber Multitool on my belt and a lockback clipped to the inside of my pocket. The only time I dont have a blede, is when I am getting on an airplane.

I also grew up with the .22 in the back of the truck to and from school. In farm country where I grew up, no one thought anything of it.

Boy, how times have changed. As a matter of fact, I got in trouble one day at the last company I worked for for carrying a knife (3" lockback blade, clipped inside my front pocket). The truly sad part of it is I am an engineer, and work with tools all day long. The knife and 4-in-1 screwdriver are the tools I use the most. I didn't stay there very long after that.

My son is 3. I am looking forwad to the day when I can introduce him to the tradition of the pocket knife.

Bill R.

Ron Williamson
01-07-2006, 10:12 AM
I've carried a small folder since I bought one from a buddy when we were in grade 4.
My son,nine at the time,got his first semi-disposable(he knows it)multi-tool for our whitewater canoe trip last May.I got a Buck semi serrated XTR(IIRC)lockback for the same trip.
My daily carrier is a three bladed Buck that won't keep an edge IMHO. :rolleyes:
I shoulda bought to a third carbon steel Schrade to replace the ones I'd lost through holes in my left front pockets.
R

Phil Heffernan
01-07-2006, 11:54 AM
Steve, Love the Damascus, but I ain't feeling flush enough ;)

Think I'm going for the Schlieper Sod Buster: good hammered steel, good price, old school styling...Thanks for the tips...

phil

pipefitter
01-07-2006, 03:24 PM
The best features of the eye brand sodbuster was it's positive engagement of the spring and the blade is quite thin which allows you to hone it without having to reprofile the edge. Just a few strokes on a fine, natural Arkansas stone is all that's needed to bring it back to shave you sharp.
Once the blade forms it's oxide coating and turns black it stops rusting. I keep the blade sharp which keeps from excessive sharpening and wear on the blade.I dont think you will find a better feeling pocket knife that you aren't afraid to use daily.
The case sodbusters with carbon steel blades are very hard to find around here which is why I gave the eye brand a try.I dislike SS pocket knives.Thats why when I found an old family hardware store with them in the display case, I promptly bought the 2 that they had. Still prefer the Schlieper knives over the case for holding an edge.

George Jung
01-07-2006, 04:13 PM
I gave all of my daughters a 'keyring' swiss knife when they started driving; but they had to take them off their keyrings when going to school, or risk expulsion..... :rolleyes:

I wish we had a school administrative type here; I'd like to ask where some of the mindlessness comes from. Example: my daughter performs in a dance/singing group for chorus; the girls were all required to have a certain 'do, in this case, curled hair... and the director instructed them to wear a towel on their head just before performance, to get the 'right' look... don't ask me, I don't do (or have) hair..

the administrative secretary, along with two other teachers, accosted this group of highschool girls in the hallway, insisting they remove the towels. The reason? They looked like they belonged to a 'gang'.... I'm sorry, but what gangs (esp. in rural South Dakota) do you know that wear towels on their heads? Maybe they were thinking of 'terrorists'... LMHO; about the time I think I've seen people as dumb as they come, someone else proves me wrong... :D

Meerkat
01-07-2006, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by htom:
Meerkat, I bought my second handgun at the ripe old age of 12. No paperwork, no forms, no serial number, paid cash. Wasn't considered a remarkable event at that time.BC: Before Columbine... ;)

Not to mention a few other well-publicised misuses of guns.

Alan D. Hyde
01-07-2006, 04:18 PM
Many of these so-called "no-tolerance" school policies are in fact "no-thought" policies which attempt to protect witless school administrators from criticism by proscribing the exercise of reasoned judgment (once known, God help us, as "discrimination"--- as in "Discriminating Yachtsmen Choose Chris-Craft").

Alan

Meerkat
01-07-2006, 04:24 PM
And you assert this as a fact because...?

George Jung
01-07-2006, 05:33 PM
Perhaps, Mr. Hyde; our current administrator seems 'able' enough when pursuing his own agenda; I suspect he's just too lazy to give much thought to these kinds of issues; follow the course of least resistance, perhaps?

David W Pratt
01-07-2006, 05:49 PM
Believe I bought my first at about 8 on a school trip to Sagamore Hill (Teddy Roosevelt's home).
If you want to realize how often you use a knife, lend it to someone, or take an airplane flight.

JamesCaird
01-07-2006, 07:14 PM
Hi Guys-After I had my own son for a while I asked an older friend who had several sons about the appropriate knife time. He said "When he wants one. And if he cuts himself, take it away for a bit".
At another time I was traipsing about in the hills of Fiji (think: no roads, only villages in the mountains connected by trails and/or rivers) There ALL the kids had machetes! Had to. They were sharp too and they used them all the time, including recess! I remember getting on the bus to get back to Suva (the big city) with my machete. No one blinked an eye. There is something about a guy with a machete, no? Cheers/JC

Pernicious Atavist
01-07-2006, 08:54 PM
I haven't taken the time to read all the posts, but did pick up on Meer's. To even suggest a kid with a gun is asking for a "Columbine," is at the very least, inappropriate. It sounds like you would accuse every woman of being a potential hooker just because she has a vagina, and I'm certain you would never take that position.

As for me, I got my first knife--a real, honest to god Barlow, when I as about eight or so. I carried one of those folding "toothpick" knives to highschool (never stuck no one either, Meer, ;) ) and carry one now every day as I have for the past forty years. Yeah, I even carry it to work--I teach highschool English. OH! It even has a corkscrew--guess that makes me a potential killer and alchoholic, eh?

ssor
01-07-2006, 09:18 PM
An "All in the Family" episode one night had the daughter complaining that nine out of ten murders ech year are commited with handguns. To which Archie Bunker replied, " well little sister, would it make you feel any better if they was pushed out a winder?"

John Bell
01-07-2006, 09:21 PM
Pernicious: What would you do if you saw a student in your class with Swiss Army Knife? Would you turn them in or look the other way?

hoss
01-07-2006, 09:22 PM
Knives are tools which can be used as weapons. I used to teach my students how to properly sharpen their pocket knives, but no more. A kid of 10 can handle a Swiss Army knife (get a Victorianox not a Wenger) but might loose it. I use a small army knife as a key chain. When I was a kid I spent most of the summers up north in the bush or canoeing. I carried a D.H. Russell belt knife http://www.grohmannknives.com/pages/r1s.html (the greatest belt knife ever) on a canvas belt every where I went, (most of my pants didn't have functional pockets), no one seemed to mind too much even in town. Now I fear I would be arrested.

[ 01-07-2006, 09:24 PM: Message edited by: hoss ]

Pernicious Atavist
01-07-2006, 09:30 PM
good question, john! whether i agree with it is not the question, but policy is that i have to confiscate and report. do as i say and not as i do? maybe--mea culpa