PDA

View Full Version : Dried out bottom paint

J. Dillon
07-25-2001, 08:40 AM
Does any one have experience with the effectiveness of bottom paint after a week haul out ? Should the bottom be scrubbed to remove slime, or left alone ?

I have a high quality B. paint that easily lasts a season but don't know how good it will be after a week out of the water.

JD

[This message has been edited by J. Dillon (edited 07-25-2001).]

Dale Harvey
07-25-2001, 08:49 AM
What does it say on the can the paint came in? Go to the store and read one on the shelf or ask the manufacturer. Unless the paint is a modern ablative copolymer designed for in and out service, you will have markedly reduced its effectiveness.

John R Smith
07-25-2001, 09:29 AM
JD

I really wouldn't worry too much over this. On our beach, EVERY boat dries out twice a day, every day, and gets pretty dry too in the summer months. Most of the varied assortment of anti-foulings still seem to work OK. Some of us are cheap-skates, some use the fancy stuff, but I can't see much difference in performance.

John

Todd Bradshaw
07-25-2001, 01:33 PM
Back when I was poor (wait, I still am poor - make it poorer) and couldn't always afford bottom paint, there were a few years when we launched in the spring without repainting the bottom. The boats usually had either VC-17 or an epoxy-based bottom paint on them that had been sitting all winter. I don't remember any horrible problems, though they may have lost some of their power. I can't imagine that a week is going to kill the paint, especially if it's ablative, but I would be inclined to scrub or pressure wash it if there is much stuff growing on it when it comes out of the water. Some slime seems to harden like concrete in just a couple of days and then you wind-up having to use really nasty acids like Zing to get it off. I suppose it might not hurt to wet it down with a hose every day or two if possible to keep the paint from drying out.