PDA

View Full Version : need help w/a Router (non-woodworking)

John Gearing
01-16-2006, 03:18 PM
Okay gang, here's the situation:
I've got a cable modem running flawlessly through a Linksys wireless router.

I swap in another Linksys wireless router (this one has 2 phone ports so I can use Vonage), and automated set up fails. When the setup software tries to configure the router I get a failure message indicating the software doesn't detect the router. Router at this time is correctly connected, using same cables that worked fine with previous router. The proper LEDs are lit on the router's faceplate.

If I jack directly into the modem, PC, internet, etc work fine. If I use the other router, it works. But not this router. At this point I'm thinking there is an internal fault in the router, like someone forgot to connect the board to the ethernet socket.

Any thoughts or help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

Paul Pless
01-16-2006, 03:24 PM
are you using the software provided by Linksys on cd.

I had this exact same problem in my lab when I changed routers about two months ago. The software provided had a glitch in it. Even telephone suport was unaware of the problem. I returned the router to the store and the owner of that store upon hearing of my problem provided a different software driver to solve the problem.

My computer guy is gone for the day but maybe I can get you in touch with him tomorrow.

John Gearing
01-16-2006, 03:44 PM
Hi Paul,
I have the LinkSys CD all right. Everything comes to a screaming halt during setup. I hadn't considered that the CD might have gummy software on it! You just might have it nailed. I've tried calling LinkSys but can't get through to an actual person. Tried the online help but it took almost half an hour to get the guy to understand that with the router in the chain I can't get onto the web. Whereupon he said, "oh, then you have to call the tech support". I'll look forward to hearing what your computer guy has to say about this. Thanks!

John Gearing
01-18-2006, 01:31 AM
Paul, any word from your computer guy?

cs
01-18-2006, 07:55 AM
Just a thought. Does the router have a crossover switch?

Chad

Paul Pless
01-18-2006, 12:27 PM
sorry to take so long, i was in transit to Georgia

the owner of Absolute Computer Solutions, provided a cd that had a driver which allowed the new router to do what the old router had done. However, to make the new rouer work as advetised, Scott - the lab computer guru, had too spend two days and at least four cotinuos hours on the phone with the Linksys tech Support.

so sorry redface.gif

[ 01-18-2006, 12:33 PM: Message edited by: Paul Pless ]