PDA

View Full Version : How small is your shop?

ron ll
05-29-2019, 07:53 PM
My shop is SO SMALL:

...I had to cut two small holes in the interior finish wall so that the fence rails of my table saw poke into the stud space when rolled away, which gives me 4” more work space on the other side of the saw. :)

john welsford
05-29-2019, 08:47 PM
I sympathise. Mine is only 14 x 44 ft, its ok for the time being but I'm hoping in a couple of years to move to where I can have one thats a decent size.

John Welsford

Jim Bow
05-29-2019, 08:50 PM
Half of a one car garage. A garage designed for a model T.
To use the table saw, roll the bandsaw out in the driveway and the welder into my wife's potting table space.

ron ll
05-29-2019, 09:03 PM
Half of a one car garage. A garage designed for a model T.
To use the table saw, roll the bandsaw out in the driveway and the welder into my wife's potting table space.

Okay. You win.

Wadsworth
05-29-2019, 09:10 PM
Mine is about the same size as ron II's, but the tools are not nearly as good, and it's so cluttered you can't get anything done without an hour-long clean up.
I'm jealous!

hawkeye54
05-29-2019, 09:33 PM
I only wish I could declutter and organize my half-garage space as well as Ron II has !!!

L.W. Baxter
05-29-2019, 10:10 PM
My shop is SO SMALL:

...I had to cut two small holes in the interior finish wall so that the fence rails of my table saw poke into the stud space when rolled away, which gives me 4 more work space on the other side of the saw. :)

I like the mod, genius, is say.

Also like the arrangement of your pliers, snips, chisels. Like an inscrutable petroglyph, on a long lost rock in the desert. Must be a fertility dance, or they are hunting bison.

Phil Y
05-29-2019, 11:16 PM
Mine is about the same size as ron II's, but the tools are not nearly as good, and it's so cluttered you can't get anything done without an hour-long clean up.
I'm jealous!Mine is quite big, and just as cluttered as yours, so it takes at least a weekend to tidy up before I can do anything. Most jobs I just do on the gravel hardstand outside.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

L.W. Baxter
05-29-2019, 11:32 PM
I get half of a mid-century single car garage, about twelve by fourteen feet. The ceiling is twelve feet, though, and it helps, and a PO installed a big timber lintel and posts across the middle of the what is now my shop, handy for hanging the odd massive thing, like a V-8, I guess. The other half is laundry and pantry. There has never been a car in there since I've lived here, going on seventeen years. But in that time, I've added a bandsaw, lathe, tablesaw, shaper, drill press, a small array of workbench flat spaces and a small assortment of vices, as well as a bench grinder, air compressor, buffer, and a small propane forge. Just the usual basics. I'm campaigning for a budget allotment for a lift of redwood, to replace the big roll-up door with the overhead tracks and etc, with a pair of bi-fold doors with windows, and a wooden floor to float over the concrete. There is a possibility that The Director of All Things will allow it, since I've already remodeled the rest of the house and yard.

This could be Mark Twain's shop; you can't swing a dead cat in there, lest some classic bit of tool wind up on the deck in twain.

I'm about due for a spring-cleaning shop overhaul. Drag it all out into the driveway. Blow and suck and wipe and scape and paint. Maybe purge the overhead wood storage. One of these days, maybe this year, I'm going to put the pegboard in the recycle, repair the old sheetrock, add a bit more paneling and then rehang the tool holders and stuff.

When my wife's grandson was a toddler, sometimes when he was my responsility for an hour to so, I'd sit him on a tall stool at the workbench and get him to do piecework for... no, no, we would have 'tool time.' I'd let him hold tools, and we made some special projects out of scraps. Even at two, he loved to pound and hammer nails into wood. About the same time I had him on my lap on the backhoe frontloader excavating the old driveway. Now he's thirteen, and I'm hoping to rekindle a more serious age-appropriate version of tool time to get him interested in woodworking and stuff. I got all weirdly old guy sentimental and told him that when I kicked over some day, he could have all my stuff, tools, guitars. He now has a seven year old sister, and she's in line, too if she wants in.

Can I drift in another grandfatherly bit? I had just gotten my friendship sloop about the time the GS was a toddler and getting on with speech. In Her infinite wisdom Madame Grand Poohbah, Empress of Everything Else, decided that my being a step-grand-dad, as it were, and having a third grandpa would tend to be confusing, and so I was benighted with the nom-de-old man 'Captain.' Then my millenial neighbor took it on himself whilst in a tourist trap somewhere, to buy me a brass plaque that says Captain. In the USAF I managed to exit having made E-five, staff sargeant in only eight years [rolleyes], and then made captain in mere weeks just for being in charge of my own small boat. Ain't life grand some times? When things aren't fcking miserable.

Oh God, She heard me type that. Dammit.

aye aye, Captain!:D

The Bigfella
05-29-2019, 11:37 PM
Shop size? Quite large... but it's a running cafe, bar and restaurant. We do all our bike and woodwork down the back of the restaurant. Centre left of this shot.... right down the back. We've screened it off a bit better since this shot, with more hanging plants. The tool room is small... about 4' x 10' - and it's shared with spare wheels, internet & cable gear.... and a couple of big waterpumps.

https://photos.smugmug.com/Riders-Corner/i-JrxV9V8/0/1a002773/X4/restaurantnewlook-X4.jpg

JayInOz
05-30-2019, 01:23 AM
I watched a TV show a few years ago about an old English feller who made flutes. When making the largest size he literally had to leave the door open. His workshop was smaller than an outhouse:) JayInOz

AndyG
05-30-2019, 02:07 AM
14 feet by 5.

...Luckily, I build 'em small.

http://www.poyekhali.scot/shed/shed02.jpg

skuthorp
05-30-2019, 02:27 AM
27x27 feet. One end of a 68ft agricultural shed with sliding doors.

Similar space at the other end contains a small art gallery and a working studio including a pottery wheel and kiln.

Middle houses cars, mower etc but we have a purpose built secure machinery shed as well.

epoxyboy
05-30-2019, 04:12 AM
We have a two car 6m x 6m garage, which I was able to extend by another 2.5m.
The extension is my workshop space. Currently it is half filled with carp that was "temporarily" moved out of the house when we had new carpet laid over a year ago, carp that we are temporarily storing for our daughter since she finished uni two years ago, carp that our son is storing while he builds up his project car, and assorted other treasure - some of which is actually mine.
When I first built it, there was just enough room to build a JW Pathfinder, and still get two cars in there!

Pete

ron ll
05-30-2019, 09:57 AM
Someone PMd me to ask what the power tools are in the picture in the OP. All except drill press are on wheels.

On the left:
Router table (out of picture)
Drill press, Fein vac under
Table saw (pre-war Craftsman)
Bench grinder (above/behind table saw)
Jointer (pre-war Craftsman)
Air compressor
Thickness Planer (DeWalt, under work bench)

On the Right:
Scroll saw (pre-war Craftsman)
Spindle/belt sander (Ridgid)
Band saw (Grizzly 15")
Chop saw (DeWalt 12")

http://forum.woodenboat.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=38359&d=1559177407&thumb=1

ron ll
05-30-2019, 10:03 AM
Jim Mahan:
How do you keep sawdust out of the laundry?

SchoonerRat
05-30-2019, 10:22 AM
My shop is in a shipping container. When you only have less than 8' of width, you need to get a bit creative.

I'm still in the creating stage!

Paul Pless
05-30-2019, 10:30 AM
the scroll saw is epic
Someone PMd me to ask what the power tools are in the picture in the OP. All except drill press are on wheels.

On the left:
Router table (out of picture)
Drill press, Fein vac under
Table saw (pre-war Craftsman)
Bench grinder (above/behind table saw)
Jointer (pre-war Craftsman)
Air compressor
Thickness Planer (DeWalt, under work bench)

On the Right:
Scroll saw (pre-war Craftsman)
Spindle/belt sander (Ridgid)
Band saw (Grizzly 15")
Chop saw (DeWalt 12")

http://forum.woodenboat.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=38359&d=1559177407&thumb=1

oznabrag
05-30-2019, 10:49 AM
the scroll saw is epic

That scroll saw is very nice.

This scroll saw is epic:

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/scrollsaw.jpg

amish rob
05-30-2019, 10:53 AM

This scroll sqw is epic:

Doh! Me wanty!

Old boy I used to get hardwood from had old tools in his shop for sale every now and again, too, and for,years he had this old foot powered scroll saw. It was all cast iron and wood and magnificent. There was a leather belt that drove the blade from a pedal driven wheel. It had a big old cast iron tractor seat, too.

Sigh.

Peace,
Sigh Spurling

wizbang 13
05-30-2019, 11:04 AM
My shop in Gig Harbor is only a roof, no walls,20 x 26 feet.
Of course, I am only here in the summer months and I have not been burgled for 25 years.
and... I have no use for big tools, just a table saw for ripping.

ron ll
05-30-2019, 11:07 AM
the scroll saw is epic

Here it is with it's matching jointer and table saw. (The vice grips have since been replaced.)

Ted Hoppe
05-30-2019, 11:07 AM
My shared shop.

I carry my hand tools in 4 plastic bins.

When i grow up... Ill have one like Rons.

mmd
05-30-2019, 11:13 AM
My shop is so small that I have to go outside to change my mind.

(It had to be said...)

ron ll
05-30-2019, 11:14 AM
My shared shop.

I carry my hand tools in 4 plastic bins.

When i grow up... I’ll have one like Ron’s.

Too much blank wall space. You need more tools or something to fill it. :)

Ted Hoppe
05-30-2019, 11:22 AM
Too much blank wall space. You need more tools or something to fill it. :)

when I first began sharing it, I bought many tools to make the shop well equipped. Within a few weeks, my good intentions found their way in other peoples collections. :(

AussieBarney
05-30-2019, 03:01 PM
It sounds like I am a little spoiled.

My shed is, 56'x38'

I built a 22'6" garvey using the stitch and glue method and I could have built another beside it with room to spare.

John Meachen
05-30-2019, 03:14 PM
From my point of view I have to envy that Barney its around 22 times the floor area I have.

amish rob
05-30-2019, 03:19 PM
It sounds like I am a little spoiled.

My shed is, 56'x38'

I built a 22'6" garvey using the stitch and glue method and I could have built another beside it with room to spare.

You dont say. Just looked at some garvey plans minutes ago. A wee sailing version...

Peace,
Robert

Hugh Conway
05-30-2019, 03:23 PM

This scroll saw is epic:

the really epic jig saws are the ceiling mounts - no column.

oznabrag
05-30-2019, 05:11 PM
the really epic jig saws are the ceiling mounts - no column.

Call me old-fashioned, but I prefer the portable. :D