PDA

View Full Version : Subpoenas and other sweet visits; a modest list

TomF
05-21-2019, 03:57 PM
Perhaps this could be a catch-all thread for the subpoenas and their related fisticuffs over the next while. And for notice of meetings of Congressional Committees with luminaries who volunteered to show up. Today's news includes Rex Tillerson apparently meeting privately (but voluntarily) with members of the House Foreign Relations Committee to talk about Trump related issues. The Daily Beast found that scoop first, but surely others will soon elaborate. Today we've also seen McGahn not show up, and new subpoenas issued for Hope Hicks and Annie Donaldson.

Jim Bow
05-21-2019, 06:52 PM
Some Tweeter claimed that Judge Merrick Garland is scheduled to adjudicate Trump's appeal to the order that his financial records be turned over.
True, or myth?
If true, will he recuse himself?

TomF
05-21-2019, 07:17 PM
I read that too, and since Garland is the senior justice on the DC court of Appeal, I think it is true.

I see no reason for him to recuse himself; his animus leading to the appearance of conflict of interest would be respecting any case involving Mitch McConnell, not Trump.

I would deeply look forward to such a refusal opportunity... :D

Jim Bow
05-21-2019, 08:21 PM
New York Assembly Passes Bill Closing 'Double Jeopardy' Loophole As Rebuke To Trump

May 21, 20195:09 PM ET

BOBBY ALLYN (https://www.npr.org/people/638550790/bobby-allyn) NPR

The New York Assembly passed a bill on Tuesday that closes the "double jeopardy" loophole, permitting state authorities to prosecute someone who receives a pardon from the president. The vote was 90-52.
Top Democrats in the state framed the change as a way to stand up to President Trump by removing a shield that had protected defendants from being prosecuted twice for similar crimes and could have benefited those receiving pardons.

Jim Bow
05-21-2019, 08:25 PM
Hope Hicks, and Ann Donaldson (McGhan's chief of staff) were subpoenaed today.