PDA

View Full Version : Pompeo thinks melting ice caps are a good thing!

epoxyboy
05-07-2019, 02:30 PM
OMFG, bring on the melting, it's good for business :mad:.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/world/americas/112540098/mike-pompeos-arctic-speech-focuses-on-trade-not-climate-change

Pete

TomF
05-07-2019, 02:39 PM
Sweet Jesus. Rarely have I been so close to being banned.

LeeG
05-07-2019, 02:42 PM
Leading the world into a mass extinction event Trump style.

FishoutaFlorida
05-07-2019, 02:49 PM
Pompeo called the Arctic "a frontier of opportunity and abundance" with untouched oil and gas reserves, unmined uranium, raw earth minerals, precious metals and gems.

"Arctic sea lanes could become the 21st century's Suez and Panama Canals," he said.

:arg

Flying Orca
05-07-2019, 03:05 PM
I'm as big on climate science as the next guy, if the next guy is, say, Michael Mann or George Monbiot, but in the interests of accuracy it must be noted that ARCTIC polar ice cap melting won't affect sea level much, because the ice is already floating. Greenland and Antarctica, on the other hand, have the potential to raise sea level tens of meters.

Osborne Russell
05-07-2019, 03:16 PM
I'm as big on climate science as the next guy, if the next guy is, say, Michael Mann or George Monbiot, but in the interests of accuracy it must be noted that ARCTIC polar ice cap melting won't affect sea level much, because the ice is already floating. Greenland and Antarctica, on the other hand, have the potential to raise sea level tens of meters.

Good point.

But let's not be negative. The tops of Antarctic mountains could become islands and we could build huge hotels and go surfing.

Flying Orca
05-07-2019, 03:19 PM
Good point.

But let's not be negative. The tops of Antarctic mountains could become islands and we could build huge hotels and go surfing.

Oooh! And with improved runoff, iron loading might really increase production in the Southern Ocean, and the great whales will have a heyday!

David G
05-07-2019, 03:22 PM
And Pompeo is correct about expanded shipping opportunities.

It's called a 'silver lining'.

Kinda along the lines of a family losing their house to a tornado... but the teenage kid say, "Think of the bright side... now we don't have to paint the house this year!!" Winning... R style.